It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Great Pyramid May Hold Two Hidden Chambers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Two secret chamber housing funereal furniture were discovered at the Great Pyramid of Giza.
The furniture was intended for use in the afterlife by the pharaoh Khufu, also known as Cheops in Greek.

A French architect campaigning for a new exploration of the 4,500-year-old Great Pyramid of Giza said on Thursday that the edifice may contain two chambers housing funereal furniture.

Jean-Pierre Houdin -- who was rebuffed three years ago by Egypt in his appeal for a probe into how the Pyramid was built -- said 3-D simulation and data from a U.S. egyptologist, Bob Brier, pointed to two secret chambers in the heart of the structure.

Full Story:
news.discovery.com...

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.
edit on 1/28/2011 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
This may sound as if I am being a smart-a**, but I'm really not.
What is 'funereal'?
Is it funeral? furniture, such as coffins? I did a search and all that came up was different sources for this same article.
I apologize now if this is a stupid question.

Edit- answer my own question
and for anyone else who may not know. According to the MSN Encarta dictionary-

funereal fu·ne·re·al [ fyə nree əl ] adjective Definition: 1. of or like funeral: relating to or suitable for a funeral 2. gloomy: very slow, solemn, mournful, or dismal

edit on 1/28/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

encarta.msn.com...
edit on 1/28/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I wouldn't be surprised. They're so secretive about the Pyramids.

Peace 2 all

edit on 28/1/2011 by Hazz-14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
have there been any mummy's uncovered in the pyramids, or coffins? and IF so that have been made to the public? if there are 'secret funeral furniture' it probably is referring to a funeral as in a coffin, but the interesting question would be what is inside those coffins? remains of extraterrestrial pharaohs?

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
He's assuming it's furniture. Maybe it's an alien control room? Maybe it's a library of ancient knowledge telling what it is and who built it. There's no way for sure that the Egyptians ever built it.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Since when it became a fact that an Egyptian pharaoh built the Great Pyramid of Egypt? Much more that it was attributed to Khufu as the builder of the great pyramid. There are no records in that pyramid that says who built that pyramid and we know very well that the ancient Egyptians had very good recordings of their activities. Surely they will not miss to write in their record books that they built the Great Pyramid if they really did it.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
S+F for the link..

It's all speculation until they actually find any chambers. Houdin's results may also be a result of different densities in the stone blocks, they've not actually found any hidden chambers or interior spiral ramps. Hopefully he'll get a shot at probing the interior at some point.
edit on 29-1-2011 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
thats a wonderful find ..I wish it would be the library of ancient knowledge that would tell us alot about there history and possibly shed light on aliens ..thanks for the post

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
It would be nice to find a few new rooms. But remember it is only educated speculation.

In addition, blocks in the northern wall of the king's chamber in the Great Pyramid indicate an overlooked passage which led to the hypothesized chambers and also enabled the funeral party to exit, he added.

The word "hypothesized" sticks out to me.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

Be nice if that speculation came true..

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Setting all other less than scientific theories aside for a moment this could be the biggest thing to hit Egyptology since Tutankhamun

Hopefully this will settle the age of the pyramids argument once and for all. Wouldn't it be grand if they found artifacts dating back older than previously thought possible? and if not it still would be an amazing discovery.

AWESOME.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
This story is bogus.

I mean Hawass says Egyptians built the pyramids, there aren't any "secret" chambers, and there's not a cave system either.

Shouldn't we believe him?

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by wavemaker

Well... aside from the other pyramids the Egyptians built, the hieroglyphs on and around the pyramids, the graphitti from the workers stating the tomb belonging to Khufu, the discovery of the tomb builder's er... tombs, and the carbon dating done on the site placing it within Ancient Egypt's Old Kingdom... you're right. There's not a lot of evidence to prove they built it.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ckno1

Indirectly, the idea of unknown chambers in the pyramid is, or was, supported by Zahi Hawass. He's openly expressed his belief that Khufu is buried somewhere within...

I do believe that Khufu still hides in his burial chamber inside the Great Pyramid. Some scholars claim that the doors in the shafts are symbolic — that the king would metaphorically open them to travel to the other world, but I believe that the doors are hiding real secrets, including Khufu’s chamber.

He made the claims in his on-line diary in 2009 and has since made little or no reference to them. The original source for the quote has disappeared from the internet, but remains in an ATS post (cool huh?).

I like the ideas of Jean-Pierre Houdin and his internal ramp. The original documentary and paper seemed, at least, plausible and worthy of further investigation. This probably says more about my level of knowledge than the authenticity of his theory because professional Egyptologists have discounted it. Despite the popular view, when the professionals discount an idea it tends to be for very good reasons.

Although Houdin's particular theory has been discounted, the idea of undiscovered chambers or niches remains a distant possibility. When I say 'distant' it's because a chamber can't exist without supporting beams and structure. In the case of the King's Chamber a lot of architectural planning was needed to prevent the chamber collapsing under the weight of the upper layers. A similar system of bracing beams and relieving chambers would be needed for other chambers and no evidence has so far supported their existence.

Archaeologists haven't ignored the possibility of unknown chambers or dismissed the idea. The thing is, so far the Great Pyramid has been studied and investigated using the best technology of every age. It's been dynamited, explored, imaged by NASA and had everything else from radar to New Agers humming by candle-light and singing Kum By Ya. Sandals, candles and high-tech...we still haven't found a substantial indicator of lost chambers.

Byrd is far more qualified to comment on the subject and might correct me on this.

top topics

join