It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AK Kits

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
There is seeing to be a larger and larger demand (or at least offering) of kits for the AK-47 as well as the Polish Tantal, Uzi and many other rifles. I have looked at the prices, added it up and have to ask... Why are they too good to be true? How is it you can get a Bulgarian AK kit with US barrel for under $200, a reciever for $50... What's the catch?

I have see a lot said about it, but want the input of the trusted people here on ATS. What's the deal? Is it as good a deal as the numbers present... Or is it a mistake and that is why it is so cheap?

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Have you ever assembled an AK build from a kit before? You will have to have several compliance parts as well as a new fire control group if it doesn't already come with one. Also there are different things to consider when looking at receivers. Some receivers come in the white which means they have not been hardened or treated. Some of them come with the rails, but you have to weld them in yourself. Also there is the issue of carefully removing the cutaway receiver from the parts in the kit such as the trigger guard which is riveted to it, and the barrel if it hasn't already been done.

All in all if you are picky and know what you want then going this route is not a problem as long as you go into knowing what to look for. If your a first timer I wouldn't suggest it without doing some serious research, and making sure what you assemble is 100% legal and safe. Just saying do your homework if you aren't familiar with doing this sort of thing.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

Kits are a lot of work to put together. That work is why they're so cheap.

That and the AK rifle itself is really not that expensive.

I can buy a complete rifle right now for 350-500 bucks depending on where, what model, and quality.

Edit:
SpaDe_ is right. I'd listen to him on this one.
edit on 28-1-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
The kits are a primary source of spare parts in a manner as to not require bug-hunting all the little things you'd not likely think of purchasing on your own.

Of course, if you're a talented machinist/gunsmith, you can put together some interesting things.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Well, I got a Bulgarian in 7.62x39mm. Kind of excited, but know that the learning curve and task ahead is daunting. The kit came less reciever (obviously) and barrel. Any advice from here?

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
The only way most kits are worth the money is if you have a Kit building party so to speak with someone who has very good welding skills and the necessary size press. it is not as easy as most think so make sure you build it with someone who has done one before.
The video's show you what to do but it is still a bit of work. As are ANY of the kits

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
You are better off buying one and doing an FFL transfer on it.

www.classicarms.us...

Is a good place to get a well built cheap AK.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Reply to post by fatalwishes

Also, the quality on a kit build can be very high compared to the Century Int'l builds, which is what most of the lower-end AK rifles are.

If you are building one it's not worth it but if you build 3 or more it is *definitely* worth it.

I built mine. It's really not all that difficult with the right shop equipment.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
It was one of the factors to looking into building one... The cost effective Ak's are all quality duds. the Polish Tantal, Bulgarian... All Century (or like built) are low cost and low quality. I was looking to get a basic used kit and build quality into it. I was looking at getting a tan stock or maybe full wood furniture. Is this worth it or posible? Or is it better to hold onto the kit and save a long time and buy an Arsenal?

top topics

join