It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Monsanto Altering the Fruits of our Labor?!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
So this is my first thread, im not asking you to take it easy on me because of that. Just know this is my first thread. So i am all about everything ATS has to offer, my favorite topic is absolutely Aliens and UFO's. Yet as of lately i've been drawn to the whole monsanto(un-capitalized due to lack of respect) deal. I never liked anyone messing with my food so much as to say i rarely eat out and if i do i only go to locally owned restaurants. Recently i purchased an avocado at my local food store(H.E.B) only to find that the seed was hollow completely hollow.
It was not rotten or in any way showing signs of rotting, which i would assume could cause the seed to just be a shell. I have no knowledge of Horticulture except for some cilantro and other herbs i grew back in my culinary school days, but it seemed very strange. I usually tap the seed to remove it from the avocado, but this time the knife went right into the seed. when i tried to remove the seed it seemed to me like a piece of plastic. Anyway my thoughts on this are as follows:

Could monsanto and other companies be altering our food to where it really isnt even the same dna structure as the original? Are we infact just eating fake foods?

Could these companies be altering our food to where we cannot use the seeds to grow our own?

Nothing tastes the way it used to when i was younger!

Your thoughts please....Namaste.

i82.photobucket.com..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

i82.photobucket.com..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by laurosantos

This one i just thought was funny
i82.photobucket.com...

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Monsanto seed has repeatedly demonstrated gene dominance during pollination and has been shown to affect other plants so badly that an established home garden miles away from one of their "sterile seed" fields produced 60% less vegetables and the quality of what was produced was drastically affected!

They WILL cause a famine eventually!

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by RealAmericanPatriot

Christ!

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   

you haven't done much research into this yet have you?

Could these companies be altering our food to where we cannot use the seeds to grow our own?

Yes, it's called a terminator gene and Monsanto puts it in their seed genetics. What this means is instead of a farmer planting seeds, harvesting, and saving new seeds for next year, they MUST by new seeds from Monsanto every year. I think this is talked about in "Food Inc." but don't quote me on that. In some cases farmers are being sued for saving seeds. Monsanto also checks regularly and sues farmers if they find Monsanto genetics in their crops, but they didn't buy seed that season. The problem with that is you can't control pollination and the GM crops contaminate non GM crops.

Basically anything grown within the distance the pollen can travel, could be contaminated with GM.

I have also noticed a decline in the taste of certain fruits and veggies. This isn't necessarily a monsanto thing, it's more of the fact that we live in a global village and your supermarket ships it's stuff in from all around the world. Go and find local farmers markets in your town and taste the difference.

most produce at the supermarket wasn't even ripe when picked.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Answers to your questions...Yes, Yes and Yes.

When Monsanto "gifted" Haitian farmers with GMO seed, the farmers burned them.

An estimated 10,000 peasants gathered for a massive march in Central Haiti on June 4, 2010, to protest what has been described as “the next earthquake for Haiti” – a donation of 475 tons of hybrid corn seeds and vegetable seeds by the US-based agribusiness giant Monsanto, in partnership with USAID. None of these crops will produce viable seeds for future plantings and all require massive chemical inputs

foodfreedom.wordpress.com...

Fact is not only do these "Frankencrops" with the terminator gene produce non viable seeds, they are genetically engineered to need massive amounts of chemical fertilizers.

Great expose here:
Monsanto The Genetic Conspiracy Against Food

Part 2
www.youtube.com...

Part 3
www.youtube.com...

edit on 28-1-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Not much research but thanks to yall's replys I know where to start! Hi fi!

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Namaste. (:

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
the food industry started a path to oblivion and monsanto will be the last shovel scoop to hell. between the ever increasing corporate demand to make things cheap at cost of quality to the consumer, and the goverment and thier various subsidy programs, food will not only taste bad (which it already does, thats another topic) it will be bad for you to.

switching damn near every common ingredient to soy and fructose based alternatives no longer cuts the mustard as the commodities are to high now. new genetic modifications across the board will bring old crops down and new ones more versatile. they went from breeding in modifications to increase yields and allow better weather resiliance, to genetic protection from insects. they can't be to far from altering things inside the consumers own body. not to mention the potential cancers and illness that are yet to be known from all this.

remember when pharma regulations became lax? now every other day some pill is in a major class action suit. and that hasn't changed nothing. yet promising ones that actually can help and perhaps hurt the medical industry's profit are held back for further "testing".

best bet is to grow your own stuff, but monsanto is actually trying to stop that to...

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by wingsfan

I remember the smell of fresh Cilantro in my backyard from when I was 3. I still remember because, well to be honest I never smelt it again. Thanks for the conversation. I wish my sons memories were of fresh wild cklqntro, not of war and destruction of a beyter, more honest time. Growing weed is not gonna be the only illegal thing to grow anymore. Where do we go from here?

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I never grew cilantro but I can remember how it used to smell walking by it in the grocery store. another thing I miss is when onions were actually GOOD. now all varieties are very hoarse, and most chefs went to leeks.

BTW: not relevant to produce, can anyone tell me where I can find bacon that ACTUALLY looks, smells, and taste like bacon??? I swear I can't remember the last time I smelled the heavenly aroma of a really good bacon.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by wingsfan

You can always buy a pig and raise it, till that special morning. I'm sure that right will be taken away soon too. Oh well good thing we have the almighty McDonald's to quench all our childhood tastes.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
monsanto (I agree with your lack of capitalization) is evil IMHO. Today I received a catalog from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds and noticed an interesting footnote in the corn seed section.

"GMO Tested - Genetically Modified Organisms were NOT detected in test samples of any corn varieties listed here.

Each year we have a harder time getting seeds that test GMO-free. It is getting to the point where most heirloom varieties test positive for GMO's; even growers in remote areas are having problems with Monsanto's GMO corn."

www.rareseeds.com

It just enrages me that Monsanto is allowed to pollute our food with this crap. And then sue the farmers that Monsanto's GMOs destroyed.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Mountainmeg

I would love to grow at our ranch perhaps start an underground above ground veggie farm. Blast it all over the net have cameras everywhere and just wait.....there are several towns within the area which I know would flourish from a farm like this. One can only wish, hope and pray. Greed has set into the dna of so many, move forward, our only option. But how?!

new topics

top topics

join