It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The lake that glows in the dark: Eerie phenomenon that turned waters (and midnight swimmers) luminou

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Source

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bf307daefa53.jpg[/atsimg]

Swimming is supposed to give you a healthy glow, but these swimmers weren't quite sure what was going on when they took a late-night dip and turned a fluorescent shade of blue.

'It was like we were playing with radioactive paint,' said photographer Phil Hart who snapped the bizarre sight as his friends emerged from a lake in the dark of night.

The light is created by a chemical reaction called bioluminescence, which happens when a naturally-occuring micro-organism in the water is disturbed.

I had to share this because this is so cool.

If I lived around or near the lake I do not think I would ever get out of it. I would run around in the dark woods and people would think I was an alien.

Looked around and did not find a thing on it.

Awesome or what?

Any thoughts?

Pred...

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Edit: I looked at the picture before linking to the site.
edit on 26-1-2011 by Silverado292 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Great pic. It would be fun to pull a prank on somebody. Envite someone that doesn't know for a swim and act like you are melting in the water.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
is sot a credible site? if so, that is crazy , note i agree with the lights comments, cool looking none the less.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187

If I lived around or near the lake I do not think I would ever get out of it. I would run around in the dark woods and people would think I was an alien.

Mr. Burns: "I bring you love!"

That picture is amazing. I wonder if there are other lakes like that. Wouldn't it be cool if they all glowed with different colors? I bet they'd make an amusement park or something.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
From what I understand, some water testing chemicals can do this. Pranksters in B.C. turned part of a river bright lime green late last year.
Could be that.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by matrix12

Yeah they are pretty credible. They usually relay others stories but this I'd one of their own.

Pred...

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Sweet! is there any harm from these bacteria? Not sure I would want to swim in it, but it does look cool.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
You can see this exact same phenomenon in any ocean at night. Next time you're on a boat, watch the water as it sprays away from the hull at night. You'll notice it glows faintly.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Infrasilent
You can see this exact same phenomenon in any ocean at night. Next time you're on a boat, watch the water as it sprays away from the hull at night. You'll notice it glows faintly.

You may not see the luminescence at all unless...

...You turn off all the lights of the boat and it's pitch black all around no moon, no city lights nearby.

We were in such a motorized boat once, in the midnight. We had to turn off all the lights in the boat in the island to island journey to escape detection(it was illegal to travel at night in that island and I had to report for work in the morning).

Anyway, it was the most spectacular display of nature I ever saw in my life! The water around the boat glo'wed florescent green. The boat's wake was the most brilliant. When you look above you, you get equally treated with the brilliant display of the Milky Way Galaxy's billions of stars...

...With a bit of imagination it almost felt like going on a journey across the galaxy in a starship!

It's a whole different world far far away from cities and civilization!!

edit on 27-1-2011 by ahnggk because: (no reason given)

top topics

join