It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Ten Commandments We Always See, Aren’t The Ten Commandments

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
www.disinfo.com...
Link to article

According to the above article the following 10 commandments that most people are some what familiar with are not the real 10 commandments.

"And God spoke all these words, saying: 'I am the LORD your God…

ONE: 'You shall have no other gods before Me.'

TWO: 'You shall not make for yourself a carved image--any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.'

THREE: 'You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.'

FOUR: 'Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.'

FIVE: 'Honor your father and your mother.'

SIX: 'You shall not murder.'

SEVEN: 'You shall not commit adultery.'

EIGHT: 'You shall not steal.'

NINE: 'You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.'

TEN: 'You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's.'

www.allabouttruth.org...

But really these are the true 10 commandments that were written in stone

I. Thou shalt worship no other god.

II. Thou shalt make thee no molten gods.

III. The feast of unleavened bread thou shalt keep.

IV. Six days thou shalt work, but on the seventh day thou shalt rest.

V. Thou shalt observe the feast of weeks, of the firstfruits of wheat harvest,
and the feast of ingathering at the year’s end.

VI. Thrice in the year shall all your men children appear before the Lord God.

VII. Thou shalt not offer the blood of my sacrifice with leaven.

VIII. Neither shall the sacrifice of the feast of the passover be left unto the morning.

IX. The first of the firstfruits of thy land thou shalt bring unto the house of the LORD thy God.

X. Thou shalt not seethe a kid [ie, a young goat] in his mother’s milk.

www.disinfo.com...
Read the article in full in the link above.

The real 10 commandments seem a bit anticlimatic.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
That site's trying to sell stuff, and provides no source for these commandments other than a book he's trying to sell, the link for which leads to a 404. Yeah, I'm taking this with a grain of salt.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
www.infidels.org...

www.xs4all.nl...

Did a little digging and this is what I turned up
edit on 26-1-2011 by ELahrairah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
The only one of those links that has the same list as the original link you posted is the blog, which says it was taken from the same link you originally posted. =/

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Ok how about this

1 The LORD said to Moses, “Chisel out two stone tablets like the first ones, and I will write on them the words that were on the first tablets, which you broke. 2 Be ready in the morning, and then come up on Mount Sinai. Present yourself to me there on top of the mountain. 3 No one is to come with you or be seen anywhere on the mountain; not even the flocks and herds may graze in front of the mountain.”
4 So Moses chiseled out two stone tablets like the first ones and went up Mount Sinai early in the morning, as the LORD had commanded him; and he carried the two stone tablets in his hands. 5 Then the LORD came down in the cloud and stood there with him and proclaimed his name, the LORD. 6 And he passed in front of Moses, proclaiming, “The LORD, the LORD, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, 7 maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; he punishes the children and their children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation.”

8 Moses bowed to the ground at once and worshiped. 9 “Lord,” he said, “if I have found favor in your eyes, then let the Lord go with us. Although this is a stiff-necked people, forgive our wickedness and our sin, and take us as your inheritance.”

10 Then the LORD said: “I am making a covenant with you. Before all your people I will do wonders never before done in any nation in all the world. The people you live among will see how awesome is the work that I, the LORD, will do for you. 11 Obey what I command you today. I will drive out before you the Amorites, Canaanites, Hittites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites. 12 Be careful not to make a treaty with those who live in the land where you are going, or they will be a snare among you. 13 Break down their altars, smash their sacred stones and cut down their Asherah poles.[a] 14 Do not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.

15 “Be careful not to make a treaty with those who live in the land; for when they prostitute themselves to their gods and sacrifice to them, they will invite you and you will eat their sacrifices. 16 And when you choose some of their daughters as wives for your sons and those daughters prostitute themselves to their gods, they will lead your sons to do the same.

17 “Do not make any idols.

18 “Celebrate the Festival of Unleavened Bread. For seven days eat bread made without yeast, as I commanded you. Do this at the appointed time in the month of Aviv, for in that month you came out of Egypt.

19 “The first offspring of every womb belongs to me, including all the firstborn males of your livestock, whether from herd or flock. 20 Redeem the firstborn donkey with a lamb, but if you do not redeem it, break its neck. Redeem all your firstborn sons.

“No one is to appear before me empty-handed.

21 “Six days you shall labor, but on the seventh day you shall rest; even during the plowing season and harvest you must rest.

22 “Celebrate the Festival of Weeks with the firstfruits of the wheat harvest, and the Festival of Ingathering at the turn of the year. 23 Three times a year all your men are to appear before the Sovereign LORD, the God of Israel. 24 I will drive out nations before you and enlarge your territory, and no one will covet your land when you go up three times each year to appear before the LORD your God.

25 “Do not offer the blood of a sacrifice to me along with anything containing yeast, and do not let any of the sacrifice from the Passover Festival remain until morning.

26 “Bring the best of the firstfruits of your soil to the house of the LORD your God.

“Do not cook a young goat in its mother’s milk.”

27 Then the LORD said to Moses, “Write down these words, for in accordance with these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel.” 28 Moses was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights without eating bread or drinking water. And he wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant—the Ten Commandments.

www.biblegateway.com...

unless I'm missing something here

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Dare to compare ...the 10 commandments according to the Net Bible .....

Exodus 20 :21 20:11 God spoke all these words:2

20:2 “I,3 the Lord, am your God,4 who brought you5 from the land of Egypt, from the house of slavery.6

20:3 “You shall have no7 other gods before me.8

20:4 “You shall not make for yourself a carved image9 or any likeness10 of anything11 that is in heaven above or that is on the earth beneath or that is in the water below.12 20:5 You shall not bow down to them or serve them,13 for I, the Lord, your God, am a jealous14 God, responding to15 the transgression of fathers by dealing with children to the third and fourth generations16 of those who reject me,17 20:6 and showing covenant faithfulness18 to a thousand generations19 of those who love me and keep my commandments.

20:7 “You shall not take20 the name of the Lord your God in vain,21 for the Lord will not hold guiltless22 anyone who takes his name in vain.

20:8 “Remember23 the Sabbath24 day to set it apart as holy.25 20:9 For six days26 you may labor27 and do all your work,28 20:10 but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God; on it29 you shall not do any work, you,30 or your son, or your daughter, or your male servant, or your female servant, or your cattle, or the resident foreigner who is in your gates.31 20:11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth and the sea and all that is in them, and he rested on the seventh day; therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and set it apart as holy.

20:12 “Honor32 your father and your mother, that you may live a long time33 in the land34 the Lord your God is giving to you.

20:13 “You shall not murder.35

20:14 “You shall not commit adultery.36

20:15 “You shall not steal.37

20:16 “You shall not give38 false testimony39 against your neighbor.

20:17 “You shall not covet40 your neighbor’s house. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that belongs to your neighbor
Source: net.bible.org...

Mod Edit: No Quote/Plagiarism – Please Review This Link.
Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.
edit on 1/27/2011 by TheRedneck because: added tags and source

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by the2ofusr1

or this one ..King James Version ...bible gateway

Exodus 20 (King James Version)

Exodus 20
1And God spake all these words, saying,

2I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

3Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

4Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

5Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

6And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

7Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

8Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

9Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:

10But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

11For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

12Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.

13Thou shalt not kill.

14Thou shalt not commit adultery.

15Thou shalt not steal.

16Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.

17Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.
Source: www.biblegateway.com...

Mod Edit: No Quote/Plagiarism – Please Review This Link.
Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.

edit on 1/27/2011 by TheRedneck because: added tags and source

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
The particular version of the bible used on the page you linked does match up. Try looking through some of the other versions available for the passage though. Not many of them actually say the same thing as any of the others.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
There are a couple of problems with this. First, God clearly tells Moses that the Ten Commandments in Chapter 20 are the laws of the Covenant. He follows those Commandments with a bunch of additional laws in Chapters 21-23, and those are largely restated in Chapter 34. The bit about the goats, for example, is found in Chapter 23, verse 19.

Secondly, the list that your author has published is a bit polished -- there are more than ten things decreed in Chapter 34, verses 10-26, so they cannot be "the Ten Commandments". Finally, Moses is described quite clearly in verse 28 as writing on the tablets the words of the Covenant, the Ten Commandments. Not all of this other superfluous stuff, the original ten from Chapter 20.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ELahrairah

1 The LORD said to Moses, “Chisel out two stone tablets like the first ones, and I will write on them the words that were on the first tablets, which you broke ......Question ..did Moses break the stone tablets ,or break the law that was written on them?

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I believe were we lost our spiritual identity is found in all the negative wordage of the 10 commandments. WHY or HOW? Simple, there are no negatives heard in the realms of the angelic kingdom. The power of the word has a vibration as do our thoughts.... once you apply that to the ten commandments this is heard

have other gods
do call my name in vain
do kill your neighbor
etc etc etc

it would be a fair better to say:

1) know that your spirit is pure
2) worship the land for it sustains you
3) give thanks to all living creatures
4) take only what you can carry by hand
5) give back what you take - replenish
6) share unconditional love

Warning if you take a life other than your own yours will be taken
edit on 11/03/2008 by Skydancer because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/03/2008 by Skydancer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
What does it mean to redeem your first born sons? Does that mean to sacrifice them?

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Two things of historical note:

FIRST (most importantly) Verses/sentences/etc in the Bible were NOT numbered until the 1400's or later. The oldest versions are simply text -- a string of commandments.

And yes, these are "divisions of law" and not the laws themselves, according to the Jews.

SECOND (to clear up the issue of versions), please go look at the original Hebrew -- most convenient way is to do this with a "Concordance". The standard online concordance is Strong's:
www.blueletterbible.com...

Now you can look at the original writing. Always go back to first sources if you can.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Have y'all read the translations done by The Chronicle Project?
PDF Here
I found them rather interesting...

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
The ten commandments boil down to one thing. Be good to each other. Do unto others, as they say. And by being good to each other we are honoring God in the greatest way. Religions are nothing but barriers that keep us from accomplishing that.
Most of us are born knowing what is good and what is bad. It is cellular. Granted there are people that can make us question that idea, but for the most part it is true. The fact is that the basic ten commandments as we know them are just common sense. Don't kill, don't steal, don't lie, don't boink your neighbors wife--well those are just things you wouldn't want anyone doing to you. No matter which format you are reading, the message is the same. Be good. IMO I believe it is really the only message in the bible. The rest of it is all fluff and verbage most of us stumble over the meaning of.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
IMHO it is hard to say what the 10 commandment actually were... The reason is because we don't know where they are. Yes we "know" that Moses had them on stone tablets, but where are the stones?

I believe that the god in the bible simply wants you to lead a good life; to help and be kind and give respect to people/animals/earth.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Topsy_Cret

They are in the Arc of the covenant...Now where is the Arc is another story.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Actually there is no specific verse that says the ten commandments were what was written on the stone tablets. In fact the language of the Bible suggests that the entire law was written on those tablets and on both sides by the way. Each table was pretty darn big too. Possibly as large as 3' x 4'. They must have been pretty heavy. Moses was in pretty gnarly shape for an 80 year old man.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
In my bible it lists the things about the Festival Of Weeks and unleavened bread...and then specifically says "the Ten Commandments".

The idea is that God was speaking LOTS of laws to the people, but as far as what is actually called the Ten Commandments, it is the one that no one knows about.

However, Christians don't want to follow the sacred commandments of their god...so...they simply pretend that some other laws are the actual Ten Commandments. It' all pretty silly how they pretend to follow their book, but really only follow what they feel like following.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by ELahrairah

According to the above article the following 10 commandments that most people are some what familiar with are not the real 10 commandments.

There are anyway traditionally 613 laws (commandments) in Mosaic Law including numerous incitements to genocide, infanticide, gang rape etc. Like Sharia Law, Judiasm is not just a religion, it is a system of Law which was allegedly imposed on an ancient tribal society.

Just as in modern law, there are laws, and there are also sentencing guidelines.

ONE: 'You shall have no other gods before Me.'

TWO: 'You shall not make for yourself a carved image--any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.'

THREE: 'You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.'

FOUR: 'Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.'

FIVE: 'Honor your father and your mother.'

Bear in mind that the sentencing guidlines for all of the above involve mandatory executions. Further the deity of the ancient Israelites was not a monotheistic deity; it was simply the primitive and savage tribal deity of the ancient Israelites; it was one of many deities in that region; the montheistic Christians and Judaists have simply taken the definitions of that deity and imposed it onto later monotheistic beliefs.

If the above laws were to be imposed on humankind, the consequences would be genocidal.

SIX: 'You shall not murder.'

Essentially a law against unlawful killing, however "lawful" killing under the Mosaic Law would result in the deaths of probably 99.9999% of the adult population of the world.

SEVEN: 'You shall not commit adultery.'

This is probably one of the most misunderstood commandments. Both the Islamic and Judaic faiths are derived from polygamous societies where slavery (including sex slavery) was quite normal. There is nothing in the Bible which promotes the modern Christian practice of monogamy. Essentially in the primitive tribal society which the Mosaic Laws have come from, a man could have as many women as he could purchase; "adultery" was an executable offence which has to do with the laws of a slave master and his sex slaves.

Since paedophilia was socially acceptable, a man could have sex with a child he had purchased; it was only adultery if some other person came along and had sex with a child whom he had not purchased as his private property

Further when "young virgin females" were captured during military campaigns, they could be spared from genocide and taken as sex slaves.

EIGHT: 'You shall not steal.'

Essentially this really should be "Thou shall not steal from another member of your tribe" as it was quite acceptible to commit genocide on the surrounding tribes and steal their possessions, daughters, etc.

NINE: 'You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.'

A standard ethical law in all societies; we really don't need religious fanatics to tell us about this.

TEN: 'You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's.'

To "covet" is to desire to possess them; it was quite acceptable to purchase one's neighbour's possessions, so it may not literally mean "covet;" it may rather refer to "stealing." .

For the remainder of the 613 laws, see "Summa Contra Judaism (Summary Against Judaism)"
on: www.davidicke.com...

Lucifer

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join