It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calvin Coolidge: A Presidential Hero

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/19c46f4de092.png[/atsimg]

www.archive.org.../6/mode/2up

"Do the day's work. If it be to protect the rights of the weak, whoever objects, do it. If it be to help a powerful corporation better to serve the people, whatever the opposition, do that. Expect to be called a stand-patter, but don't be a stand-patter. Expect to be called a demagogue, but don't be a demagogue. Don't hesitate to be as revolutionary as science. Don't hesitate to be as reactionary as the multiplication table. Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong. Don't hurry to legislate. Give administration a chance to catch up with legislation."

Have Faith in Massachusetts as delivered by Calvin Coolidge to the Massachusetts State Senate, 1914.

www.archive.org.../222/mode/2up

"Your assertion that the Commissioner was wrong cannot justify the wrong of leaving the city unguarded. That furnished the opportunity; the criminal element furnished the action. There is no right to strike against the public safety by anyone, anywhere, any time. ... I am equally determined to defend the sovereignty of Massachusetts and to maintain the authority and jurisdiction over her public officers where it has been placed by the Constitution and laws of her people." (emphasis added)

Telegram from Governor Calvin Coolidge to Samuel Gompers September 14, 1919.

www.calvin-coolidge.org...

"... it is probable that a press which maintains an intimate touch with the business currents of the nation is likely to be more reliable than it would be if it were a stranger to these influences. After all, the chief business of the American people is business. They are profoundly concerned with buying, selling, investing and prospering in the world." (emphasis added)

President Calvin Coolidge's address to the American Society of Newspaper Editors, Washington D.C., January 25, 1925.

....I was amazed to receive such a letter. During the war 500,000 colored men and boys were called up under the draft, not one of whom sought to evade it. [As president, I am] one who feels a responsibility for living up to the traditions and maintaining the principles of the Republican Party. Our Constitution guarantees equal rights to all our citizens, without discrimination on account of race or color. I have taken my oath to support that Constitution....

Coolidge, Foundations of the Republic (1926) p. 72

President Calvin ‘Silent Cal’ Coolidge was known as the last Liassez-faire President in American history. He was a champion of all American Conservative values at the time. A notable fact about his presidency is that under his administration no KKK members were appointed to office, which led to its deterioration in the 1920’s. Also during and after his presidency our nation was going through what is known as the ‘Roaring 20’s’.

Many attribute the cause of the ‘Great Depression’ to his “failed policies” and almost no regulation on people or business. However what many fail to acknowledge is that while he was Vice President under a fellow Liassez-faire President Warren G. Harding with Harding’s policies the Depression was avoided, an economic downturn which was much sharper than that of even the ‘Great Depression’. Within 4 months of being elected to office the downturn ended and one year later unemployment rate was cut almost in half. 1

www.calvin-coolidge.org...

Now let us not forget about the outstanding accomplishments that President Coolidge had.

• Federal expenditures (budget) of $5.1 billion in 1921 were reduced to $3.3 billion in 1929.
• Cut effective tax rate on the wealthy was 50 percent (1922) to 20 percent. Revenue from that tax bracket then rose from $77 million to $230 million.
• By 1927, 98% of the population paid no income tax
• Tax burden on those making under $10,000 fell from $130 million in 1923 to under $20 million in 1929.
• Unemployment averaged 3.3% from 1922 to 1929.
• Gross National Product increased annually by 7% from 1924 to 1929.
• Per capita income grew 30 percent from 1922 to 1928.
• Real earnings for employed wage earners increased 22% from 1922 to 1928.
• Industrial Production increased 70% from 1922 to 1928.
• The average workweek decreased 4% from 1922 to 1928.
• Automobile on the road grew three fold in the decade.
• Proposed an anti-lynching law and a federal Department of Education and Relief.
• Released the remaining Sedition Act violators convicted during the Wilson administration.

If you haven’t realized it by now then you have not been paying attention. President Calvin Coolidge was a real president of the people, by the people, and for the people. He was a humble man born in Vermont and became governor of Massachusetts, Vice President, and President of the United States. He presided over one of the largest expansions of the American economy in history along with enormous expansion of wealth.

Coolidge is the man the Progressives love to hate. They want to tell you that it was due to his policies that we had the Great Depression but what they want to keep hidden behind their ‘iron curtain’ is that the Depression should never have been a depression and should have ended within a year or two. It was exacerbated by a President who knew not what he was doing.

It was a horrible time in America and we didn’t need a President in office who just wanted to change everything, how would business possibly be able to invest and expand when you have a government growing so quick that you don’t even know what your taxes or regulations will be tomorrow.

Argue it all you want but ‘Silent Cal’ was America’s greatest President, at least in the last 150 years.
edit on 1/25/2011 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
BUMP

Sorry I know it's a one-liner.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I'll bump this too - I was reading up on Coolidge and then did a search on ATS to see if anyone else had observed how he might have been the last real President of the United States.

With regard to Hoover, he said "for six years that man has given me unsolicited advice—all of it bad." Hoover did side with the party on occasion - he was in Washington for over a decade and so that is understandable but he seemed to dislike every moment of it, voted popular bills, and sided with the rights of the people and the states time and time again rather than the elite.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
He was actually probably the biggest factor in why the depression came about. He oversaw the policies that led to the change from manufacturing based economics to consumerism based economics and the radically increased expansion of personal credit.

All major reason's for the stock market crash of 1929. He refused to slow down the economy because it was making him look very good and he was living for the moment instead of listening to advice from numerous economic advisors of the time that there may be possible dangers with the way the economy was going.

He was also very very weak in regards to foreign policy. I believe you are giving credit to someone who actually did very little but stay out of the way and let the country go where it may. And we all know where that was.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
because he believed it wasnt the role of the government to interfer

probably the last time the free market was truly ever free they rise and they fall thats what they do

a market crash is the system correcting itself something that bush and obama failed recognizing

keep pumping cash into an over inflated system that the should have failed and restart the process just made the situation all the more worse.

bump for misoir

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
He may have believed that but his policies have led to programs that we are still paying for today. We will ignore hoover since he just buried his head in the sand but the amount of money FDR had to spend to halt the spread of the depression had consequences we still feel today.

Had Coolidge used the power of the federal government to manipulate the markets slightly the great depression may have been avoided or possibly not nearly as bad as it was. Had ww2 not happened and pulled our economic butts out of the sling who know's what his policies may have led to.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
every single problem in this country is the direct result of government interference.

every single thing they do makes the situation worse.

government has never been the solution to any problem in this country they are the cause.

the government was never meant to become the alpha and omega of the american citizens existence.
edit on 19-4-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
every single problem in this country is the direct result of government interference.

every single thing they do makes the situation worse.

government has never been the solution to any problem in this country they are the cause.

the government was never meant to become the alpha and omega of the american citizens existence.
edit on 19-4-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

Well history kind of proves you wrong about making everything worse. I can think of government intervention in slavery and civil rights as just 2 positives so this point of yours is not valid.

And you can argue that government is the alpha and omega and I will argue that it isn't. If it was the people never would have voted in so many tea partie sympathizers in 2010. The people definetly can turn government around when they get together and become politically active.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Calvin Coolidge is a cool cat! I wonder how we would perceive Calvin Coolidge or someone like him today? A while ago I was reading a list of the Ten Worst Presidents. Calvin made the top 10. Do not shoot the messenger.
Source

In 1919, three quarters of the Boston Police Force went on strike. Coolidge (then Governor of Massachusetts) had observed the situation throughout the conflict, but had not yet intervened. Furious that the mayor had called out state guard units, he finally acted. He called up more units of the National Guard, restored Police Commissioner Curtis to office, and took personal control of the police force. Curtis proclaimed that none of the strikers would be allowed back to their former jobs, and Coolidge issued calls for a new police force to be recruited. Many people criticized Coolidge as part of a general criticism of laissez-faire government. His reputation underwent a renaissance during the Reagan administration, but the ultimate assessment of his presidency is still divided between those who approve of his reduction of the size of government and those who believe the federal government should be more involved in regulating the economy.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

slavery and civil rights have made this country better? and just exactly when was racism eilminated from this country and when do people all have the same rights in this country do they now? and just how many people in this country are still enslaved to a party political tool called welfare.

civil rights means all americans but still today there are people who have no rights to keep their property for example when the rights of a minority are constantly violated when the mob rule deems that someone has the right that they the mob are entitled to the fruits of someone elses labor.

take a good lok around this country and take off those rose colored glasses this country is not better off from government intervention they are the root cause of most if not all problems that have risen in this country.,

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
He may have believed that but his policies have led to programs that we are still paying for today. We will ignore Hoover since he just buried his head in the sand but the amount of money FDR had to spend to halt the spread of the depression had consequences we still feel today.

I'm in awe of how deluded your version of the Great Depression is. I suppose the monetary policy had no part in it at all?

Had Coolidge used the power of the federal government to manipulate the markets slightly the great depression may have been avoided or possibly not nearly as bad as it was.

Again, I'm in awe. The Federal Reserve was established in 1913 and the changes (and manipulation) to the economy were still in their infancy in the 1920s. I don't feel like getting in to this with you - I'm so drained of arguing with people that refuse to do any intellectual research in to the topics they defend. Yes, I know your version is in the history book on page 130 paragraph 9 - those 3 sentences you just parroted back to us like a good little soldier. Find your own way - I'm done arguing this crap. When your massive centralized government that interferes with everything you do finally takes over let me know how it works out for you - if you live through it - or maybe you'll be on the of the "good" guys gassing people?

new topics

top topics

join