It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exercise is Meditation.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
The past two weeks, I decided to get active again by jogging and doing anaerobic exercises.

In just two weeks, I feel a definite change in my overall being.

When I go for a jog, my mind focuses on the rhythm of my legs moving. right leg, left leg, right leg, left leg.
It put me in a trance almost and I love that feeling of moving across the earth in the steady rhythm it is almost like you are drumming the earth with your feet.

Push ups and such, there is a breathing pattern that goes along with the exercise. Breathe in, breathe out.

Exercise helps both mind and body, and I just wanted to pass this information along, even though you probably already know this. But I felt like sharing anyway.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

It has been proven recently that 8 days of mininumal meditation can revitalise and even change the brain for the better, Ive allways meditated since i was 15

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I agree completely. There is nothing like a good workout to rid your mind of stress and drama. It's as if you become one with your body. When I jogged/ran daily, I felt so great. I just started back to working out today as a matter-of-fact, and was thinking the same thing when I was doing my ab work; the counting and breathing in and out, etc. Good stuff, all natural antidepressant/antianxiety. I feel pretty dang good today.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
i exercised for 1 hour a day, 3 square meals a day, and meditated, an hour a day, the healthiest i have ever been, and during that time i also had the most powerful and strange spiritual experiances, random out of body experiances, UFO sightings (dunno if exercising had anything to do with that), strange "messages"
after that i have strongly advocated for exercising, eating well, and meditation as a wonderful spiritual tool/experiment/exercise.
indeed, spiritual health is linked with physical health

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I went for a jog again today, and I feel amazing right now.

Remember, I am no fitness guru, just someone who started exercising again and am feeling great about it.

Seriously, jogging is more than just jogging.

It is getting fresh air, different surroundings, as well as a multitude of other benefits.

It feels good.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Jogging is indeed a very good way to relax and let your mind become calm for a while without any distractions apart from trying top avoid tripping over the occasional dog.

You have reminded me that I have to start jogging again!!! Haven't done it for about a month now

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

Great thread OP.

Although I am biased towards the topic.
I have raced triathlon for years, with much of it long distance triathlon(Ironman distance). This includes long hours, alone, swimming, running and cycling. They have all the things you point out in common, a rythme or cadence, breathing techniques and focus or concentration that to me, resembles a meditation and these can create meditative states. I also worked in a mantra with my runs, which help keep my focus on certain aspects. I stopped using music and I never run or ride with music, never. As these can effect your mood and pacing by injecting emotions into the activity, depending on the music.

I regularly find my mental state going beyond the limitations that physical activity can place on my body in a way that I move past the sensations that include pain, fatigue or discomfort by focusing(meditating) on my breathing and rythme regardless of the activity.

Physical activity also releases chemicals in the body that act like natural anti-depressants. I have read studies related to endorphines being released during physical activity. I also feel a real sense of clarity from my routines. Sometimes, when I am stressed by situations in life, I find myself dwelling on them on my runs and after a few kilometres I find some resolution and I move on and relax into my routine. It does not solve my problems, but it reduces my stress relating to them and I deal with them much more realistically and productively.

Running is a tough activity in that it has a high impact on the body, for those reading this thread that may not like running or find it physically hard I suggest swimming or cycling which has a lot less physical impact on the body and also has a faster recovery period for workouts with parrallel cardio vascular activity of running workouts.

I have read a few posts about people wanting to get training again. If anyone needs any help or advice starting out with running, swimming or cycling, just let me know.
I have over 10 years of serious training experience. I have competed in hundreds of races. Marathons, Half Marathons, Triathlons of all distances and competed in multiple Long Distance Trathlon and Ironman Triathlons.

I know how to prepare a program for novices up to seriously competitive athletes.
I have trained right and wrong and any healthy habit like exercize or meditation takes time to develop.

Great thread OP. S and F.

top topics

join