It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Orion = Towards Center of Universe ?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I once heard that since we are on the outskirts of our galaxy,

That any sentient beings travelling twoards our planet would be coming from approximately the constellation Orion ..................

Is there anyway to confirm or debunk this?

I can't remember what this was based on....

Edited title to clear confusion:
As I was saying that from our vantage point looking at Orion is looking twoards the center of the universe.
and, not that Orion is the center.
edit on 24-1-2011 by ThreeDeuce because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I wish I could shed some light on this, I am going to look into it right now actually... But I wanted to post this comment first. I just came from outside, I live in Canada and I was looking South towards Orion... there is a VERY VERY bright object (star...?) just down and left of the constellation. I went onto google sky (which never seems to be useful if you ask me) and tried to locate this object but when I zoomed in... the area has been edited out with a neat little black box. Can anyone tell me what that object might be (sorry, I do not have any specific coordinates but it outshines every star in the actual constellation itself!!)

~Must mention, your title is a little misleading... there is no possible reason to assume that orion is the center of the universe when there is no center of the universe. Imagine thousands of tiny white dots on a balloon, now inflate the balloon... as it expands the space between the dots gets larger (much like our expanding universe) and NO single dot falls in a place where it could be considered "central".
edit on 24/1/2011 by TheSparrowSings because: afterthought

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
What if they are coming from another galaxy?

I'm not sure exactly where Orion lies in our own galaxy but I'm sure someone on here will.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I guess they could come from anywhere.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Cluckerspud is correct.

There are galaxies in all directions from us spinning away. They could come from anywhere. They will come from anywhere...

edit on 24-1-2011 by Signals because: classified

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheSparrowSings
I wish I could shed some light on this, I am going to look into it right now actually... But I wanted to post this comment first. I just came from outside, I live in Canada and I was looking South towards Orion... there is a VERY VERY bright object (star...?) just down and left of the constellation. I went onto google sky (which never seems to be useful if you ask me) and tried to locate this object but when I zoomed in... the area has been edited out with a neat little black box. Can anyone tell me what that object might be (sorry, I do not have any specific coordinates but it outshines every star in the actual constellation itself!!)

That would be Sirius your talking about

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
There is no known center to the universe, because we cannot even comprehend how insanely massive the universe is. Last I heard, there were about 100 BILLION known galaxies each containing around 100 billions stars, and those are just the ones that we know about. As far as I know, something that is infinite, or at least infinite according to our current understanding of it, cannot have a center.

And if aliens can travel across space, why would it matter what direction they're coming from? Space isn't 2-dimensional; they could be coming from up, down, left, right, behind, up front, up and to the right, down and to the left, you get the idea. I would also assume that with that technology, they could somehow locate life within a given area, whether that is a solar system or a galaxy, using radio waves or some wacky infrared technology. But that is based entirely on my imagination with no scientific basis whatsoever.

So why is Orion so special?
edit on 24-1-2011 by TupacShakur because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Interestingly the aincient Egyptians placed a special significance on the constellation of Orion and the souls of dead pharoahs was said to travel through the Duat, which is located near the constellation.

Maybe the Egyptian culture, aswell as others was created by extraterrestrials and they came from the Orion area?

But, Orion is in no way the centre of the universe.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Namaste1001

I believe thats what the "twoards Orion" location was talking about.

If something was coming from another galaxy to ours, it would be headed from the Orion position in the sky.

I have done several searches, but have no clue how I could verify that.

In no way am I contending that Orion is the center, but that if you are pointing or looking twoards the Orion constellation that is the direction that the center is.

I was told that Orion's belt was an easy landmark to look for if looking for center of the galaxy.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Resentedhalo08

Thanks. That is what I ended up leaning towards but it confused me when I couldn't locate it on Google Sky... I honestly don't remember it looking as bright as it does tonight, though.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   

reply to post by Resentedhalo08

Thanks. That is what I ended up leaning towards but it confused me when I couldn't locate it on Google Sky... I honestly don't remember it looking as bright as it does tonight, though.

It quite often changes in brightness and in colour, it's quite often mistaken as a UFO by people who are unfamiliar with the night sky.

Google sky?! Buy yourself a telescope, as I did, learn you way around the sky and you'll see things 1st hand!

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Resentedhalo08

Google sky?! Buy yourself a telescope, as I did, learn you way around the sky and you'll see things 1st hand!

I have a semi-decent one that I ended up leaving at my parents house. I have nowhere to set it up at home without Apartments blocking my view of the sky. Well atleast I didn't mistake it for a UFO, that would have been truly pathetic of me.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by TheSparrowSings

It's always good to head out to the countryside and go for a camping trip or something, I always see that as the perfect opportunity to do a lot of my telescope use, it's also the perfect excuse to get away to the countryside too

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by TheSparrowSings

Sparrow, have you ever heard about Sirius and its importance to the Dogon Tribe?

The Dogon Tribe is an ancient tribe in West Africa. They have this odd dance with strange masks in which they talk about star people coming down from the sky and giving them knowledge.

The Dogons described Sirius as a Two Part star system, which is something that we have confirmed only with recent technology. The Dogons say that these star people said they come from Sirius B near the Orion Constellation.

Heres a very short run down of Dogon/Sirius
Dogons and Sirius

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ThreeDeuce

I've heard of that one too, very interesting I must say! Don't they say that they are decended from the star people too? I can't remember...

It does seem that there is some significance to that area of the night sky, a lot of legends and aincient cultures mention the orion constellation quite a lot, now what you have to ask youself is, is it because the constellation one of the most prominant and noticable? Or have various aincient cultures around the world been influenced by some alien presence that comes from that general area?

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Now onto the actual post -

Our Solar System is located in what they call the "Orion Arm" of the Milky Way Galaxy. They call it the Orion arm because Orion is the dominate constellation seen from our location and it is considered the most "central" constellation to us. Meaning if you where to get into a spaceship a fly straight [which I know sounds ridiculous, how can one determine "straight" in space] out of our galaxy you would eventually fly right past all the stars in the Orion constellation.

That being said, IMO, there probably is some basis to your statement. It would be easier for us to spot ET fleets heading towards us from Orion due to our positioning on the outside of our Arm and the "centralized" constellation. Does that mean they would only come from Orion or ALL ET's have to pass by Orion on there way here... Not a Chance!!

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ThreeDeuce

Absolutely I have. And I am glad to see others are familiar with it to. Ancient Astronauts is something I am very interested in and spend a significant amount of time researching. I believe that in the theologies/mythologies of our past hides the real truth in our history... We are not alone, We Have Never Been Alone and We Will Never Be Alone.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThreeDeuce

I was told that Orion's belt was an easy landmark to look for if looking for center of the galaxy.

I was under the impression that to locate the center of the galaxy look towards Sagittarius.
(Type Galactic Center) into google sky and it takes you directly to Sagittarius.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   

I was under the impression that to locate the center of the galaxy look towards Sagittarius.
(Type Galactic Center) into google sky and it takes you directly to Sagittarius.

That very well could be, is it possible that Sagittarius would point to the center of the Milky Way,
and Orion would point to the center of the Universe.

I'm curious as to which direction the big bang would have occured. Where in the sky is the point from which everything if flying outward...

posted on Sep, 12 2020 @ 10:26 PM
link   
What is old is new again. The link is the Dogon !!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join