It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Utopia - How would you build it?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
This is a thought exercise that has just popped into my head, ok say we could start again... there are no restrictions and the human race could start again and build the perfect civilization, a utopia where we are all free to be and do what we want (assuming it doesn't infringe on anyone else).

I think a few questions need to be asked first,

In our current state of social and spiritual evolution do we have what it takes to create a utopia?

I don't think we do, socially the world needs to grow up

Also, would there be a system of government? or would the human race have evolved to the point where we all have a mutual goal and war, poverty and the need to control others have been erradicated.

Your thoughts please?

I can see this being an interesting thread... so how would you build Utopia?

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I would destroy the monetary system, which is the true source for all the negative attributes of society you spoke of. Everything after that would pretty much sort itself out so long as there were mediators present such as shaman, councilors and therapists.

Keep people focused on living, instead of working to pay loans.

Smaller communities in communication with each other is the key to keeping corruption at bay.

edit on 24-1-2011 by Gradius Maximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I think generally saying "utopia" is an automatic turn-off for some people, because one person's utopia is another person's dystopia... but contemplating and discussing it can help us determine a healthy balance.

Personally, I haven't come to any particular decision about my 'ideal' world, but I've been meaning to write a series of blog posts to explore the possibilities.

Here are some questions that might help the discussion: www.seesharppress.com...

Good luck to this thread. Idealism is equally as important as realism.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Gradius Maximus

I totally agree with abolishing money, it really is the root of all evil and the cause for a lot of the worlds problems.

I'm not sure if the world is ready for a Utopia, we are still a young and agressive race that kills eachother over petty things, if you get rid of money people currently would find some other reason to kill, it's a trait of a young and immature species. I think we need to evolve in many ways before it would realistically be possible.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
first id pass around my kool aid i made then id.....

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by questcequecest
first id pass around my kool aid i made then id.....

That's quite a misanthropic idea you have there, and then you'd have your own privite world and do with it what you will... lol

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Resentedhalo08

Posted something along these lines. I believe its evolution would lead to a Utopia like society.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Its a dual part system that uses "natural order" (law of the jungle) and a completely voluntary system (symmetrical system) that is based on balance and equality.

The main focus is on completely eliminating Control, Authority, and Power concepts from all parts of the society. It has something similar to a constitution that guarantees rights, with the reliance on non-contradicting amendments. In other words it can be amended but it cannot acknowledge or accept amendments that contradict the original basic rights granted.

If you find it interesting or appealing please comment!

additions:

Monetary is a primal usury based slavery system that is always vulnerable to abuse. A Utopia society would have an "out" so to speak for all types of lifestyles. Basically if you didn't want to participate in the system you didn't have to and the only consequence would be having to completely rely on yourself and be independent.
edit on 24-1-2011 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Ok I'm going to flesh out a basic idea of what a Utopia would be for me...

Money would not exist and we would have no need to pay for anything, we would have transcended beyond greed and would simply do things for our fellow man/woman because to do something for them would to be doing it for yourself. There would be an infrastructure of automated industry, there would be no need to do most work as a large portion of it would be automated, but this being the case the world would need a lot of mechanics or at least robots that can do the job, lol.

Everyone would have purged all the negative emotions out of their being and would be focused on spiritual and intellectual growth, we would have a lot of spare time to do this and people could pursue which passions they saw fit.

Law would not be needed as all crime would have been erradicated as nobody would want to harm their fellow man/woman, yes a lot of this is going on the assumption that our species will grow out of this adolescant stage.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
the problems with this world we're in now
and the utopia u seek have a detrimental flaw.

Us (human beings)

we are the problem. we can have the whole
world laid at our feet and it would never be enough.
Thus we have to learn to control ourselves before
even thinking of a utopia.

Once we have mastered ourselves,
then we can master our surroundings.
Trying to do the latter before the former
will only cause more chaos.

we as human beings are not ready for a utopia.
And if we were put in one, then we would be like
the apple that rotted the entire bushel.
No wonder the Aliens have not come for us.
We would be a societal plague upon their
culture. We're not ready.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
My specialty, imagination! I've got quite an inner imagination (soul wise) but don't know how to bring it into vision nor even describe it in words. With current knowledge though, one with Mother Earth for sure. Tesla's inventions to be turned over to the people rather then the military so everyone has a right to free energy and a thoroughly increased living standard for all, from Africans to Canadians (etc). We'd ask Mother Earth rather then take and plunder, where upon we'd also get back in tune and have access to telekinesis, telepath etc. and to reunite with the ones in Argatha. An earth of harmony where people can be themselves truly and utterly. Right now we're in the phase of finding ourselves as Earth's children. That's why there's so much greed, wars, and raging egos. Each and everyone of us is finding self and reuniting. It's beyond imagination but it's coming fellas. Once the Third World War ends, we'll have found self. All we need to do in this time, here and now, is open the doors within us. Face fears and annoyances, things we hate and things we despise.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Gradius Maximus

I would destroy

thats not the path to a utopian existance - its the path to your totalitarian fantasy

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   

i have been delving into the minds of those who were wise and came before me. My input in this thread will be taken from their words:

"As long as human beings are imperfect, there will always be arguments for extending the power of government to deal with these imperfections. The only logical stopping place is totalitarianism -- unless we realize that tolerating imperfections is the price of freedom." -- Dr. Thomas Sowell

"All power in human hands is liable to be abused." -- James Madison,

which creates a problem for us because some, seemingly, MUST be given some power:

"It is to secure our rights that we resort to government at all." -- Thomas Jefferson

Without a little power in the hands of a few, we just remain a disjointed band of tribes with no meaningful forward progress as a culture.

Regardless, in the end it is all about taking responsibility for your own actions so that you can have the freedom to continue to do so. Ownership of ones self...that is freedom, and no less is the destiny of mankind:

"The secret of happiness is freedom. And the secret of freedom is courage." -- Thucydides

Just remember:

"The attempt to make heaven on earth invariably produces hell." -- Karl Popper

Utopia may be a stretch. I would be ecstatic to be able to live free, as it should be. "An harm ye none, do what ye will."

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Have you read my posts?

I agree, we are totally not ready for a utopia... we are in the adolescant stage of our species development and we won't be ready for another few hundred years, who know's maybe even a few thousand years.

I can't see the human race growing up anytime soon without some world changing event, something that puts things into perspective and unites people, then when the world unites can we sort out our differences... then I believe we will be on the path of development to a more "mature" species.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   

leaving aside differences of opinion as to what " utopia " is

attempting to " build it " is IMHO impossible - you cannot force such change

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Resentedhalo08,

With our current level of maturity (as a society) I can only see the creation of Utopia come from either:

killing everybody and leave only one man alive

or

give everybody a couple of acres of land and build walls around it.

Utopia is build inside the mind, it works that way because you are the only one there......conflict comes with society but a society without conflict.......well, that's what actually really scares me!!

Peace

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

leaving aside differences of opinion as to what " utopia " is

attempting to " build it " is IMHO impossible - you cannot force such change

I wouldn't dream of forcing a change, but as Gandhi said... "be the change that you want to see in the world", and another interesting quote from Jimi Hendrix seems quite apt now, "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace".

Change has to happen naturally...

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Well, the first thing I would do is lower the population to about 500 million......

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by sligtlyskeptical
Well, the first thing I would do is lower the population to about 500 million......

haha, install a one world totalitarian government and hey presto... a Utopia for the elite few and an imaginary Utopia for the populace.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
you cant build a Utopian world. people will never give up their freedoms and stuff.

you could on mars or some other planet that hasn't been infected with the human condition yet.

you could in underwater cities where no one knows you exist and the clone children you bring up never know any other form of existence other than the one you're supplying them.

remember the movie logans run? well there you go

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   

You don't.

Striving for a Utopia is a exercise in futility.

There's always going to be somebody who wants to watch the world burn.

What we SHOULD strive for is a better place than today, but Utopia...sorry, it's not going to happen.

~Keeper

<<   2  3 >>

join