It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NY mayor, rights leader urge gun control

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

www.rawstory.com

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, the son of Martin Luther King Jr, and a string of shooting victims entered a burning national debate over gun rights Monday with a call for stricter controls.

"Every day, 34 Americans are murdered with guns -- and most of them are purchased or possessed illegally," Bloomberg said at the City Hall event, where he was also joined by Boston Mayor Thomas Menino.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Hmm, again, this is likely going to stir a healthy (and perhaps HEATED) debate.

There will be one side who cheers for this in light of recent happenings, that more ardent background checks are needed, to be sure a person does not have a history of violence or mental instability, before handing them over a firearm.

Then there will be the other side, who recognizes that such 'control' measures may have the potentiality of denying individuals guns at the discretion of "officials", based upon their own take on which persons should and should not have the 'right' to purchase a firearm.

And so the debate continues on.

One thing that always gives me pause for concern though, is when an obscenely wealthy and powerful individual like this, who is disconnected from the average citizen to an obscene degree, is behind the movement of 'gun control'...

www.rawstory.com

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
The part that says " most of them are purchased or possessed illegally" says it all. No amount of regulation will change the fact the criminals will always have illegally acquired firearms.

Ever notice how it is the people who surround themselves with a squad of armed bodyguards who squeal the most about taking guns away from the rest of us?
edit on 1-24-2011 by groingrinder because: Edited to provide additional relevant content.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Why don't they add the Americans killed during our illegal occupation of other nations to that number?

Gun control only relates to citizens, not the powers that be.

The whole argument is a joke. As more info escapes on the internet, more fear by the incumbent world rulers leads them to a full frontal assault on self-defense. They know people are going to rise against them.

Gun control is an easy process. Melt them all, everywhere and break the molds. Who's first?

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Here is the problem. If you take guns away from Americans so they can't defend themselves then we allow anyone from our own government or other countries to be able to come in and take over our cities and homes without us being able to defend ourselves. The people who are killing people like drug cartels, gangs, etc will still get weapons it will just be the honest people trying to protect themselves who will be taken for a ride. The day that I can't buy a gun will be a very sad day in America. Why do we keep trying to give up our rights? Shouldn't we be more concerned with why the government is covering up the oil spill, or why all the birds and fish keep dying or why people are having so many health problems right now? It is very sad that people die from gun accidents or from gun violence but that shouldn't mean that you take away guns from all people. Look at the the countries that don't allow you to carry guns and you will see when they protest the governments just bring guns and start shooting and the people just run. That is what will happen in America if they take away guns the government will just push us around even more than they do right now and if you try and protest they will just bring out there guns shoot one or two people and it will break up the protests. People need to stop trying to take away other peoples rights.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
"Every day, 34 Americans are murdered with guns -- and most of them are purchased or possessed illegally,"

Right, I wonder how many people illegally obtain/purchase alcohol and drive down the road while drunk?

I myself have a drink a couple times a month, but I do not drink and drive. Beer should be harder to buy, maybe require a doctors written approval? (Sarcasm)

I don't think they will ban guns, possibly add a ridiculous tax to the purchase of guns like cigarettes

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
85,000 deaths per year due to alcohol.

Alcohol Use

(Data are for the U.S.)
Prevalence
* Percent of adults 18 years of age and over who were current regular drinkers (at least 12 drinks in the past year): 52%
* Percent of adults 18 years of age and over who were current infrequent drinkers (1-11 drinks in the past year): 13%

Mortality
* Number of alcoholic liver disease deaths: 14,406
* Number of alcohol-induced deaths, excluding accidents and homicides: 23,199

www.cdc.gov...

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
everyday there are thousands of people, American's, going hungry, living on the brink of the poverty level, a growing percent of people on public services, government spending money we haven't had in years, on things we don't want or need and they want people to be completely helpless as crime rates increase, funding for civil services decreases, and this is the NOBLE cause they are pushing??!??!

REALLY, quit an eye opener as usual, these guys are either lost or incompetent likely both

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

www.rawstory.com

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, the son of Martin Luther King Jr, and a string of shooting victims entered a burning national debate over gun rights Monday with a call for stricter controls.

"Every day, 34 Americans are murdered with guns -- and most of them are purchased or possessed illegally," Bloomberg said at the City Hall event, where he was also joined by Boston Mayor Thomas Menino.

"and most of them are purchased or possessed illegally,"

The operative word is "illegally so its Already against the law for these weapons to be "purchased or possessed
So lets add still more laws..I'm sure that makes sense to some minds somewhere....

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

You know what DD? I need a button just to star and flag your posts, or I should send you the bill for my carpal tunnel treatment.

Billionaire Bloomberg. Him and George Soros must be lovers.

He can have my weapons. Lead first.

Right after he tears up my uniform.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
It is not just military strategists, all the way from Sun Tzu to Carl von Clausewitz, but also political strategists such as Niccol Machiavelli who have long advised that the aim is to disarm the enemy. What is Bloomberg's aim, and who does he view as the enemy?

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Sun Tzu. The art of war. See why I love this place? So many literate members. Sometimes I feel like I am suffocating until I log on here.

new topics

top topics

join