It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what is a christian?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Gary13

well in my thread i asked the question what is a christian. i've had a few reply's. i said in my thread i was not a christian or follow any other religion, but thats not to say i don't believe in a god. my own thoughts about being a christian are, that as a individual you follow christ, you follow his examples and teachings. jesus was a very humble man, so i would say if you are a christian then, you would be a humble person. the bible says at 1 corinthians 15-33. well read it for yourselfs. well it warns you about bad association, and how it mite put you on the wrong track. so if any so called christians are using this site, is not that bad association. your thoughts. stay safe.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Gary13

You state you're not a Christian. So why are you even attempting to define what one truly is?

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gary13
reply to post by Gary13

well in my thread i asked the question what is a christian. i've had a few reply's. i said in my thread i was not a christian or follow any other religion, but thats not to say i don't believe in a god. my own thoughts about being a christian are, that as a individual you follow christ, you follow his examples and teachings. jesus was a very humble man, so i would say if you are a christian then, you would be a humble person. the bible says at 1 corinthians 15-33. well read it for yourselfs. well it warns you about bad association, and how it mite put you on the wrong track. so if any so called christians are using this site, is not that bad association. your thoughts. stay safe.

Hello,

What is a Christian?

I believe a Christian is an individual who should aspire to be as Christ was. In every way perfect. An individual who is beginning to outgrow the mudane aspects of human existence. By this i mean the circular path of pointlessness in life that most people submit to on a daily basis. The lack of inner peace and satisfaction with life.

For the majority, however, Christianity is nothing more than a fear based indoctrination system of religious belief passed down from one generation to the next - involvement has become perfunctory. There is so much more to Christianity than this though. Christianity is truly about learning to experience the Love of the Father.

Regards

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Abovo

That's because sadly many self-professed Christians are Religionists and not Redemptionists. Christ was completely against Religion in all it's forms, and the religious people of His day killed Him for it. (Pharisees)

Watch the short video in my signature: "Do You HATE Religion as Much as I Do?"

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

and what are you, are you a christian?

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

I liked the video, thanks for sharing. However, one small point of contention, in which Mr. Driscoll faltered just a bit.
He said that Christians should hang out with other Christians and that only people who believe in God are their family.

I do think he is very glib and largely thinking in a way that will allow more to experience God's Love - however the partisanship and eliteness that he accuses religion he still advocates yet in a way that is less inflammatory.

Peace

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
A dictionary definition of a Christian would be something similar to “a person professing belief in Jesus as the Christ or in the religion based on the teachings of Jesus.” While this is a good starting point, like many dictionary definitions, it falls somewhat short of really communicating the biblical truth of what it means to be a Christian. The word “Christian” is used three times in the New Testament (Acts 11:26; 26:28; 1 Peter 4:16). Followers of Jesus Christ were first called “Christians” in Antioch (Acts 11:26) because their behavior, activity, and speech were like Christ. The word “Christian” literally means, “belonging to the party of Christ” or a “follower of Christ.”

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
My understanding of what a Christian is from my upbringing is someone who believes they can only be saved by believing in Jesus and accepting that He is the only way to get to Heaven.

I consider myself a Christian of a New Era, where we understand that Jesus was a teacher of a Way to effect a better life in the Now. A great Guru that set an example to follow, not an idol to be worshiped.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Abovo

Jesus said the same thing when His disciples said His family was outside the synagogue and wanted to see Him. He said those seated around Him were His mother and brothers.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by dccruibay
A dictionary definition of a Christian would be something similar to “a person professing belief in Jesus as the Christ or in the religion based on the teachings of Jesus.” While this is a good starting point, like many dictionary definitions, it falls somewhat short of really communicating the biblical truth of what it means to be a Christian. The word “Christian” is used three times in the New Testament (Acts 11:26; 26:28; 1 Peter 4:16). Followers of Jesus Christ were first called “Christians” in Antioch (Acts 11:26) because their behavior, activity, and speech were like Christ. The word “Christian” literally means, “belonging to the party of Christ” or a “follower of Christ.”

I don't put much weight in dictionary definitions for things that aren't written in a contemporary piece of literature. Todays definitions offer a hazy understanding of texts thousands of years old. Especially ones that are trying to define in English a word or phrase that was translated from Latin, through Greek, and through Hebrew.

Heck, today "cool" and "gay" have entirely different definitions than they did even 50 years ago. The best place to define Biblical terms are Concordances and Greek Lexicons, definitely not dictionaries.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gary13

and what are you, are you a christian?

Do you really have to ask that?

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Good Point! Let the WIll of God be the deciding factor. God's will is that all mankind should awaken to their role as integral members within the body of Christ. Until they awaken the purifying aspects of God abides on them. If we can reasonably agree that this is what God would have, then partisanship or preferentialism, with regard to Christ is a mistake in thinking. He also said what reward have you if you only love those who love you? This supports th premise, i think.

Regards

top topics

<< 1   >>

join