It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what is a christian?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
what is a christian?. so many people claim to be a christian. my view of a christian is, a folower of christ. they must follow his example, he set out how a christian should live there lives. so any deviation of what he taught and the example he set, would mean you are not a christian. put yourself to the test, are you following christ correctly. its better to find out now, if you are a true christian, rather than you thinking you are. i my self am not a christian or in any other religion. so don't be fooling yourselfs that you are something your not. stay safe.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Gary13

There is a reason why many people tend to view some atheist's as defective(if you even follow with the book "God delusion" that states that spirituality is in the brain then from a genetic stand point atheist's are genetically defective as atheism would be a result of a defect somewhere in the brain).

Your allowed to believe or not believe what you want. But since you don't believe butt out and troll elsewhere or else people might confuse you for a sociopath.

There is far too much malicious glee in your topic for this to be a serious inquiry.

But I will leave you with a personnel credo I try to live by: "What is right for you may or may not be right for me, and what is right for me may or may not be right for you."

I know it is a concept many can't stand because it acknowledges others as being sentient or capable of sentient (meaning that our own individual perspective isn't the only perspective) thought.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Gary13

Hi ....First I would Love to be a Christian by your description if it were possible ...Jesus was perfect and His walk was perfect ..I am one of those Christians that stumbles behind his master,and sometimes fall into distractions ..Thankfully He is a patient God that loves me and said He would never leave me ...peace

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   

what is a christian?

Someone who thinks Jesus Christ was a good role model and tries to live up to those standards. The technicalities get pretty diverse being over 2000 years ago and many different branches of the church defining different rights and wrongs. The story of the good samaritan describes the character Jesus portrayed for me.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Gary13

I guess this all depends on ones definition of a christian ?

alot of people admire the philosophy of Jesus and alot of people choose to gather with other people in groups in celebration of this philosophy.

it is a good virtue for aspiration, says something about people if you ask me...

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
To answer your question,i have found the exact meaning of the word for you:

Christian(Chris|tian)

Pronunciation:/ˈkrɪstɪən, -tʃ(ə)n/adjective

>relating to or professing Christianity or its teachings:
>one who is deluded and believes in fairytales and worships a fictional character!

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by lektrofellon

be sure and try to explain your "fairytale fiction delusion"
to the invisible audible voice I heard one night as if sitting beside me that said my name then "I am Jesus, I died for your sins believe in Me and you will never perish" as I had just started to open a Gideon NT that I think a woman had left on the counter a few days earlier and if your response is " well uh I that means (just fill in with anything you think I haven't heard or looked into yet) " then attempt to explain what the winged Angel that was bright white all over like lightning even in the eyes, which a friend and I had seen as kids fly down land on the neighbors roof across the street then fly back was

as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven:
And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?
And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest-Acts9

Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.-John5

what are the odds of these descriptions?

for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it. His countenance was like lightning, and his raiment white as snow-Matt28

the cherubims shall stretch forth their wings on high, covering the mercy seat with their wings, and their faces shall look one to another-Ex25
edit on 22-1-2011 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Rustami

be sure and try to explain your "fairytale fiction delusion" to the invisible audible voice I heard one night as if sitting beside me that said my name then "I am Jesus, I died for your sins believe in Me and you will never perish"

Could be one of these:
Lack of sleep
Drugs
Dreaming
Mental Illness

then attempt to explain what the winged Angel that was bright white all over like lightning even in the eyes, which a friend and I had seen as kids fly down land on the neighbors roof across the street then fly back was

could be one of these:
Electrocuted seagull (maybe hit power lines)
Imagination
Drugs
Mental illness

as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven:
And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?
And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest-Acts9

"Fee, Fi, Fo, Fum,
I smell the blood of an Englishman,
Be he alive or be he dead,
I'll grind his bones to make my bread."

Thanks alot,i can also quote fairytales!!!

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Gary13

what is a christian?

Someone redeemed by Jesus who lives their life being led by His Spirit.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by the2ofusr1
reply to post by Gary13

Hi ....First I would Love to be a Christian by your description if it were possible ...Jesus was perfect and His walk was perfect ..I am one of those Christians that stumbles behind his master,and sometimes fall into distractions ..Thankfully He is a patient God that loves me and said He would never leave me ...peace

If we're honest that's who we all are in Christ. Just beggars trying to show other beggars where to find bread.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Gary13

a little study would help, here's just a few of many that may get you started

if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?-1Pet4

Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth. Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.-Rom8

Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners-1Tim1

God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.-John3

But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name-1

when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,
To redeem them that were under the law-Gal4

Even that question came up only because of some so-called Christians there—false ones, really—who were secretly brought in. They sneaked in to spy on us and take away the freedom we have in Christ Jesus. They wanted to enslave us and force us to follow their Jewish regulations.-2(NLT)

Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made-3

Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.-Rom10

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by lektrofellon
To answer your question,i have found the exact meaning of the word for you:

Christian(Chris|tian)

Pronunciation:/ˈkrɪstɪən, -tʃ(ə)n/adjective

>relating to or professing Christianity or its teachings:
>one who is deluded and believes in fairytales and worships a fictional character!

Yet another troll who refused to read the stickied thread at the top of this forum entitled "ALL MEMBERS READ ~ Moving Past Religion 101 and Staying on Topic."

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

as suspected just another predictable and typical lacking accusatory slanderous response, you know your living in a nation whose rulers currently bow in oath.. ah never mind

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Rustami

you know your living in a nation whose rulers currently bow in oath.. ah never mind

Yes,i do,im sure that will die out eventually as more and more people im my country wake up and smell the science! Christians are a dying breed in first world countries!

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   

well maybe you'll believe these guys then, you should at least do an in depth study on the word "wake up" if nothing else

As a result of the recent evidence in support of design, many scientists now believe in God. According to a recent article:

"I was reminded of this a few months ago when I saw a survey in the journal Nature. It revealed that 40% of American physicists, biologists and mathematicians believe in God--and not just some metaphysical abstraction, but a deity who takes an active interest in our affairs and hears our prayers: the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob."

The degree to which the constants of physics must match a precise criteria is such that a number of agnostic scientists have concluded that there is some sort of "supernatural plan" or "Agency" behind it. Here is what they say:

Fred Hoyle (British astrophysicist): "A common sense interpretation of the facts suggests that a superintellect has monkeyed with physics, as well as with chemistry and biology, and that there are no blind forces worth speaking about in nature. The numbers one calculates from the facts seem to me so overwhelming as to put this conclusion almost beyond question."

George Ellis (British astrophysicist): "Amazing fine tuning occurs in the laws that make this [complexity] possible. Realization of the complexity of what is accomplished makes it very difficult not to use the word 'miraculous' without taking a stand as to the ontological status of the word."

Paul Davies (British astrophysicist): "There is for me powerful evidence that there is something going on behind it all....It seems as though somebody has fine-tuned nature’s numbers to make the Universe....The impression of design is overwhelming".

Paul Davies: "The laws [of physics] ... seem to be the product of exceedingly ingenious design... The universe must have a purpose".

Alan Sandage (winner of the Crawford prize in astronomy): "I find it quite improbable that such order came out of chaos. There has to be some organizing principle. God to me is a mystery but is the explanation for the miracle of existence, why there is something instead of nothing."

John O'Keefe (astronomer at NASA): "We are, by astronomical standards, a pampered, cosseted, cherished group of creatures.. .. If the Universe had not been made with the most exacting precision we could never have come into existence. It is my view that these circumstances indicate the universe was created for man to live in."

George Greenstein (astronomer): "As we survey all the evidence, the thought insistently arises that some supernatural agency - or, rather, Agency - must be involved. Is it possible that suddenly, without intending to, we have stumbled upon scientific proof of the existence of a Supreme Being? Was it God who stepped in and so providentially crafted the cosmos for our benefit?"

Arthur Eddington (astrophysicist): "The idea of a universal mind or Logos would be, I think, a fairly plausible inference from the present state of scientific theory."

Arno Penzias (Nobel prize in physics): "Astronomy leads us to a unique event, a universe which was created out of nothing, one with the very delicate balance needed to provide exactly the conditions required to permit life, and one which has an underlying (one might say 'supernatural') plan."

Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Frank Tipler (Professor of Mathematical Physics): "When I began my career as a cosmologist some twenty years ago, I was a convinced atheist. I never in my wildest dreams imagined that one day I would be writing a book purporting to show that the central claims of Judeo-Christian theology are in fact true, that these claims are straightforward deductions of the laws of physics as we now understand them. I have been forced into these conclusions by the inexorable logic of my own special branch of physics." Note: Tipler since has actually converted to Christianity, hence his latest book, The Physics Of Christianity. "From the perspective of the latest physical theories, Christianity is not a mere religion, but an experimentally testable science." www.godandscience.org...

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Rustami

Nope, ill go with the other 60%,like i said they are a dying breed,these crazy beliefs still exist,im sure that 40% will decrease as we technologically evolve and we get a better understanding of the universe and its origins!

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I could perhaps follow Jesus, according to the Romans, who wrote the NT, he seemed to a pretty wise man. Trouble is, there is no real evidence he even existed, and if he did, there were many of him. Personally, I think Jesus, multiple men were sent down to Earth by the Annunaki to cover some of their many mistakes and crimes committed on mankind. Did it do any good? No, the Holy Roman Church turned the advice into a sinister religion with an agenda of full control and hive mentality.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   

I'm shocked!? remember thats just the "scientific" community not even sure how long ago that article was written just one of the first googlings but I do know approximately how long ago other things were written (hence the predictableness) about one man then two then five then twelve then twenty four then certain percent of individual nations and world as a whole that originally had to be like .0?% compared to 99.?%

and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son-Luke3

for they said, He is beside himself.
And the scribes which came down from Jerusalem said, He hath Beelzebub-Mark3

I saw in the night visions, and, behold, one like the Son of man came with the clouds of heaven, and came to the Ancient of days, and they brought him near before him. And there was given him dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, that all people, nations, and languages, should serve him: his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom that which shall not be destroyed.-Dan7

Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.-Col1

For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth.-Rom9

For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.-1Tim4

what a funny qoute

Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
that's just so funny... I find it all over the place, even out in public... atheists believe in little green men (this unseen fairy type of creature) but they do not believe an actual historical figure walked the earth and lived in the past like many of our great philosophers had.

I believe this song befitting here and not in the (music as a celebration/expression of religion) topic.
one of my favorite dvd's

straight from the man himself... Sir Gilmour.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I believe:

His question is more important than yours,

He saith unto them, "But whom say ye that I am?" -Matthew 16.15;

His expectations are more realistic than yours,

But as many as received Him, to them gave He power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on His Name: -John 1.12

and, His understanding is much more compassionate than yours.

Come unto Me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Take My yoke upon you, and learn of Me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
For My yoke is easy, and My burden is light." -Matthew 11.28-30

You could probably learn a thing or two from His teachings, too.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join