It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time.com : Will the Earth Have Two Suns by 2012?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Searched and didn't see this posted. If this happens during 2012 the timing would be uncanny. I for one just hope it happens sooner rather then later, something I would love to witness.

From Time.com

Astrophysicists say that Betelgeuse, the red super-giant that is the ninth brightest star in the sky, is losing mass—an indication of gravitational collapse.

And while the celestial event could take place before the end of 2012, it may not occur for a million years.

edit on 21-1-2011 by fibonacci because: added link

edit on 21-1-2011 by fibonacci because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Sorry but it's been posted before.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Huh, searched that exact wording. Thanks, I will take my discussion over there.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by fibonacci

Betelgeuse is about 640 light years away.

According to most reputable sources, a supernova would create... for a few weeks or months, a very noticeable companion to the light from our own star, Sol. But it wouldn't last forever and it is unlikely that it would cause any major issues... aside from being a spectacular sight and a once-in-a-lifetime kind of event.

In fact, a severe solar storm from our own sun is more dangerous than Betelgeuse going nova.

Betelgeuse does seem bound to this end... it's just a matter of when it happens and that could be most anytime.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt
reply to post by fibonacci

Betelgeuse is about 640 light years away.

According to most reputable sources, a supernova would create... for a few weeks or months, a very noticeable companion to the light from our own star, Sol. But it wouldn't last forever and it is unlikely that it would cause any major issues... aside from being a spectacular sight and a once-in-a-lifetime kind of event.

In fact, a severe solar storm from our own sun is more dangerous than Betelgeuse going nova.

Betelgeuse does seem bound to this end... it's just a matter of when it happens and that could be most anytime.

Seriously????

If we had the same light spectrum as our own sun, shining in the sky when the sun sets, it would DECIMATE CROPS all over the planet. If they are talking about light that is even CLOSE to comparable to the sun, it would wreak havoc....

Most fruiting and flowering plants have evolved over millions of years to handle the moon's light as it is... anything more than that, and it will stop them from fruiting and flowering.

Sure, it would be awesome to see and witness, but it absolutely has the potential to cause major problems... seed vault anyone??

I'd rather this be closer to a million years away, not 2012...

~Namaste

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
From the article:

“There’s a reasonably even chance of a neutron star or a black hole”, he says. “If it were me, I’d suspect it would more likely become a black hole at 20 solar masses.”

So, which one of those 2 things means the Earth is ok? Should we be hoping for the black hole at 20 solar masses, or would that pull us all in?

new topics

top topics

join