It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supernova about to give Earth a second sun.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+68 more 
posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Apparently Betelgeuse in the Constellation Orion is about to go supernova and give Earth a second sun for a few weeks. The exploding star will be visible as the size of the Sun.

www.news.com.au

This could be only weeks away, if it's true it will be incredible to see!

It could also happen in a million years unfortunately.
edit on 18/1/1111 by Krusty the Klown because: (no reason given)

edit on 19/1/1111 by Krusty the Klown because: Correction

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I'll [SNIP] brix when I see it.

edit on 18-1-2011 by PoorFool because: (no reason given)

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

Mod Note: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.
edit on Wed Jan 19 2011 by Jbird because: (no reason given)

edit on Wed Jan 19 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: complete mod edit

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I almost fainted just reading that [SNIP]

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

Mod Note: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.
edit on Wed Jan 19 2011 by Jbird because: (no reason given)

edit on Wed Jan 19 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: complete mod edit

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Krusty the Klown

Wouldn't that cause extreme heat? but if it doesn't awesome! that's going to be on every website, tv show, anybody who can see or hear is gonna be amazed!! thanks for sharing.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Its very cool but has also been talked about a few times because like you said, it could happen today or many many more years in the future.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Hay very neat find! The proximity of this kind of event just reeks of doomsday for earthlife.
Though perhaps it would be a mere sideshow but hey, even winding up with a black hole in the neighbourhood, may provide us with the power and the wormhole to travel hyperspace...???maybe..... just sayin...

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
sry but are they running out of chemtrails?????

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
those few weeks of constant sunlight would be interesting. watching society deal with extreme sleep deprivation.
auto accident rates would sky rocket.

would the second sun require extra sun block?
I'm betting it would.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Disemboweled

that's going to be on every website, tv show,

Trust me, if this does happen, I wouldn't be watching it on TV or a website, I would be outside watching it Live!!

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by PoorFool

Yes, it would be interesting to see the reaction of the extremely religious.

P.S. Cool avatar! One of my favourite parts of the movie!

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   

The infamous red super-giant star in Orion’s nebula - Betelgeuse - is predicted to go gangbusters and the impending super-nova may reach Earth before 2012

this is the craziest xit i have read this morning...ok i just woke up but seriously...and are they not expecting the normal people to call this Nibiru??

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Disemboweled

Wouldn't that cause extreme heat? but if it doesn't awesome! that's going to be on every website, tv show, anybody who can see or hear is gonna be amazed!! thanks for sharing.

I don't think we'd get any heat from it - its too far away, when you think about what heat we get from our Sun, but then I'm no astrophysicist.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Noting the bit in the article about the supernova spewing neutrinos our way, could this be a possibility in the crazy behavior of neutrinos we're seeing right now with its effects on the half lives of certain elements lately (as in the last few years or so that we've been noticing it)? Could it be that it's not the sun's neutrinos that are changing, but rather different sorts of particles like neutrinos (or neutrinos that behave differently when emanating from a supernova instead of a stable star) that are coming from this supernova? Could that be the early indication that it's coming soon (relatively, in the grand scheme of things)?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   

I don't understand how they can say it could happen within weeks or a few millions years... can they not measure the distance from the star to earth to know when the light will arrive? Or is it that they don't know how long the star will take to use up all its hydrogen?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
There are some errors in that story. Betelgeuse is not the "second biggest star in the universe" - it's very, very large, a red super-giant, but there are several much larger stars that we know of (and probably countless more that we don't yet know about).

An interesting thing they don't mention in the article, which may or may not be related to the star's possible impending supernova, observations over the past 15 years have shown that it has lost about 15% of its diameter in that time. This could just be some sort of natural "breathing" of the star and not mean anything, or it could mean it's going through some early stage of the process of actually blowing up soon.

edit on 1/19/2011 by LifeInDeath because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Betelgeuse is not in the belt, tis his shoulder.

Also, does is not take a bit of time for the light of the star to reach us? I always assumed it had went supernova ages ago, and we are just waiting to see the fireworks.

(The second part, I am not sure about. The first part, I am super sure!

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Cool!!! I hope this happens in my lifetime - of all the generations of earth that have ever lived WE could get to be the ones to witness this!!!

If it's any danger, I'd rather go out that way than being exterminated at a Fema camp by the NWO

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I really hope this happens in my lifetime... The universe never ceases to amaze me! How long would it be visible?

EDIT: ninja'd
edit on 19-1-2011 by pforkp because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I think if this explodes it would be the "Blue Star"

And I have a theory due to some research as to when this might actually explode!

This is the star of Wormwood!
edit on 19-1-2011 by Stargate2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   

The real news is that no one really knows when this will happen.
Nothing to see here afterall.

The bad news is, it could also happen in a million years. But who's counting?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join