It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

L.A. High School Shooting

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Im betting the shooter will get killed so we never know if he was nuts or not.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

I just do not understand why school shootings are more prevailant now...then when I was in school back in the 80s.

I also think its easier to report stuff quicker with today's electronic media.

Back in the late 70's my kids grade school was locked down because of a man on campus with a gun.

It didn't make the news.

You make a very valid point...and even one I have said many times. I do suppose with today's technology we are able to hear about this stuff much faster and from all over rather than our immediate neighborhood.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kayzar
How much you ant to bet the kid shooter was on some sort of anti-depressant or some other psychiatric drug.

I don't know.

Gardena has a lot of gang activity.

link   
I would not be surprised this has anything to do with gang violence. I have never been to LA but I wouldn't be surprise that many young teens have guns. In Sacramento, CA many kids who are gangs have guns.

CX

link   

I am very pro-gun ownership. I live in a state that allows concealed weapons with permit. These stories worry me a lot in that im afraid that our gun ownership rights will be stripped from us.

I will be interested to hear (if they tell us) how he obtained this gun.

I grew up in TX...you know that state where everyone has a gun or two or three....
I just do not understand why school shootings are more prevailant now...then when I was in school back in the 80s.
edit on January 18th 2011 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

Kids are pretty desensitized to guns and violence these days, some would blame video games, movies, the media.

I worry for your gun rights too, not for the criminal who will get them anyway, but for people like yourself,

Lets hope there are no kneejerk reactions from this. Then again, i don't think the US is as bad as the UK for that. One gun incident here and that whole class of weapon is removed from society.

CX.

link   
Watching CNN as this unfolds. Shooter known but not found! They did say it was 3 students that were shot and their condition unknown. They are asking parents to not come to the school - they are still on lockdown. We will have to see how this comes about. I would not want to be a parent that hears this and you can't get to your child, but it is safer they stay in the classrooms.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Regarding a possible gang shooting...

This brings up a point on the whole gun debate (because we all know this will spark the gun debate further)....gang members more than likely are obtaining their guns by illegal means. So banning guns will do nothing for thugs who do not even have them legally. Just a thought....

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
UPDATE:

Student has been caught and arrested....
Hopefully more info will be released soon on this shooter.

link   
Now calling it an accidental shooting.

link   

I also think its easier to report stuff quicker with today's electronic media.

Back in the late 70's my kids grade school was locked down because of a man on campus with a gun.

It didn't make the news.

You make a very valid point...and even one I have said many times. I do suppose with today's technology we are able to hear about this stuff much faster and from all over rather than our immediate neighborhood.

Not only do we hear more stuff that happend, everybody has heard/seen more stuff that inspired some to do even more stupid actions of which we hear even faster.

link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Well of course. I wouldn't be surprised the shooter and the victims were of Hispanic aka Mexican origin. Can you imagine the backlash by the Right?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by knylon90
Stories like this make it a lot harder to argue for gun advocacy. Damn kids.

Stories like this do the complete opposite. This "kid" did not obtain his weapon through the "legal" channels the rest of us have to jump through.

If schools in the US followed the Israeli model where teachers are armed and trained in the use of their weapons, I'm guessing punks such as this would think twice. Since it is highly publicized that schools are gun-free zones, they are PRECISELY the place a lunatic with a chip and a gun will go to maximize their thirst for infamy.

I won't step foot on a school property since I only enter a victim zone when forced to do so.
edit on 18-1-2011 by bozzchem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   

This brings up a point on the whole gun debate (because we all know this will spark the gun debate further)....gang members more than likely are obtaining their guns by illegal means. So banning guns will do nothing for thugs who do not even have them legally. Just a thought....

If anything - - - laws should address how guns are accessed illegally.

Why - - are guns not locked in gun safes?

link   
I just heard on MSNBC this is not classified an accidental shooting and there is not a "suspect." They said a kid brought a gun to school in his backpack. He dropped his backpack at which point the gun accidentally went off. Three other kids were then shot. Not sure that adds up but that was the latest.

CX

link   
Accidental shooting? How does that happen?

Did he accidentaly discharge his gun into 3 people?

More like mistaken identity.

CX.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sectumsempra
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Well of course. I wouldn't be surprised the shooter and the victims were of Hispanic aka Mexican origin. Can you imagine the backlash by the Right?

Gardena is a highly Asian community.

So - - if you're gonna throw in ethnics - - get em all.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
They are saying it was accidental...student went to school with gun in a bag, bag dropped, gun went off...

Probably will make a case for metal detectors at school enterences

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Reply to post by Annee

Despite what TV shows teach us gun safes are not difficult to break into. 2 minutes with a portable circular saw and a crowbar is all you need for the more difficult safes.

Unless you want everyone who owns a gun to keep it behind a bank vault door with armed guards 24/7.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

link   

If anything - - - laws should address how guns are accessed illegally.

Why - - are guns not locked in gun safes?

Not sure how laws can address how guns are accessed illegally....
There is a HUGE black market on guns. It is impossible to control. Monitoring the illegal gun market - read this. though a bit outdated...

Another article on "hot guns" and "fun facts"
edit on January 18th 2011 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

link   
Gun accidentally went off and three kids got shot? That doesnt add up!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join