It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OK, need guidance is this digital millennium copyright thing for real? Just got a notice...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
So my wife received the following notice in our Inbox:

Dear Comcast High-Speed Internet Subscriber:

Comcast has received a notification by a copyright owner, or its authorized agent, reporting an alleged infringement of one or more copyrighted works made on or over Comcast's High-Speed Internet service (the 'Service'). The copyright owner has identified the Internet Protocol ('IP') address associated with your Service account at the time as the source of the infringing works. The works identified by the copyright owner in its notification are listed below. Comcast reminds you that use of the Service (or any part of the Service) in any manner that constitutes an infringement of any copyrighted work is a violation of Comcast's Acceptable Use Policy and may result in the suspension or termination of your Service account.

If you have any questions regarding this notice, you may direct them to Comcast in writing by sending a letter or e-mail to:

Comcast Customer Security Assurance
Comcast Cable Communications, LLC
1800 Bishops Gate Blvd., 3rd Floor East Wing
Mount Laurel, NJ 08054 U.S.A.
Phone: (888) 565-4329
Fax: (856) 324-2940

For more information regarding Comcast's copyright infringement policy, procedures, and contact information, please read our Acceptable Use Policy by clicking on the Terms of Service link at www.comcast.net....

Sincerely,
Comcast Customer Security Assurance

Copyright work(s) identified in the notification of claimed infringement:

Infringing Work : Poker Face
Filename : 06 - Lady Gaga - Poker Face.mp3=20
Filename : 06 - Lady Gaga - Poker Face.mp3=20

What is this mess? Neither her nor myself listen to this. Even if we did, would we really get in trouble for I guess they're saying we downloaded her song?

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
don't worry about it i received them before to. if you are using an unprotected wifi you may want to secure it.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
That looks real to me. I work for an ISP and it's similar to the ones we send out. Don't ignore it. Call their abuse department and find out exactly what they are trying to ding you for. Comcast will make stuff up to bow down to their overlord masters...aka the RIAA.

/TOA

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I agree you should contact them, especially since you didn't do what they're accusing them of. Also, you can Google the first line of your letter and find out what others have experienced.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Most Internet companies will give you a dynamic ip address. Meaning, it changes. How can they prove anything, based on an ip address?

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by shortyboy

Preciate it!

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

Thanks I think I'll do that.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Great idea, thanks!

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by StlSteve

I was wondering the same from the limited knowledge I have of the subject...

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by StlSteve
Most Internet companies will give you a dynamic ip address. Meaning, it changes. How can they prove anything, based on an ip address?

Yes a dynamic IP address changes every time you disconnect and reconnect your internet connection. However your ISP will have logs for which customer had which IP address at what time.
edit on 14/1/11 by GobbledokTChipeater because: Speeling

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
with the lack of everything including evidence in that mail , id say its a scam

call em up and ask them to provide dates, ip numbers and all other info they got stored ,

dynamic or static they must prove its you , i see none of it in that mail , not even a transcript of a log

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by DZAG Wright

Do you have a child that uses the pc? And like the other person said, do you have an unsecured wireless AP?
Usually, people using p2p programs as Frostwire, Emule and the such is what gets you those e-mails alot of the time. The RIAA/MPAA have busted and tried suing numerous amounts of people..
Heres some info
Info

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by GobbledokTChipeater

Thank you for clearing that up for me.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
the letters are there to scare people and get a reaction so it worries you and your less likely to download

first off you should get off big name isp's like comcast

second you should find an isp that has unlimited downloading

thirdly find an isp that you pay yearly

The ones you prepay don't give a # what you download or how much . Pre pay a year download away no worries

www.slyck.com...
edit on 14-1-2011 by seedofchucky because: juicy fruit

new topics

top topics

join