It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My take on the President's Speech in Tucson last night

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
The President's speech last night honestly left me troubled, and it wasn't just because the atmosphere of the memorial service was more like a high school pep rally with all the cheering and applause. No, this speech was cold and calculating, while masked in warmth and acceptance.

He called for civility in our language, and unity in our words as citizens of this great country.
This plea by the President was out of place simply because of the fact that the killer didn't have a political agenda in his actions, so while this plea for unity may sound good...it wasn't at all appropriate in this setting.

But, perhaps he was talking to the pendants on both the left and right concerning the anger of the left blaming the likes of Sarah Palin as well as the spirited defense of those on the right who are angry to even be connected to someone like the killer.

While the latter may have indeed been his point to make, I didn't hear him once proclaim that the killing wasn't politically motivated. He didn't take the high ground at all in this terrible tragedy and establish the real motive of the killer. That motive being founded in a disturbed and warped mind, in a man who was evil at his very core and had no affiliation with any right wing talk show or group.

The President either ignorantly missed out on this opportunity or didn't address it on purpose.
His call for civil debate and discussion, without inflammatory words, also seems a bit hypocritical considering his own words over the last few years.

Like telling those who oppose his agenda that we can get "in his car but can sit in the back seat"... and how about these gems from the Commander and Chief...

“If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun.” Wayne PA - June 14th 2010

We’re gonna punish our enemies and we’re gonna reward our friends who stand with us on issues that are important to us," Univision Interview October 25th 2010

"I don't want to quell anger. I think people are right to be angry. I'm angry!" MARCH 18, 2009

".. I want you to argue with them and get in their face." SEPTEMBER 17, 2008

“Punch back twice as hard.” Aug 6, 2009

I want to know “whose ass to kick” Jun 8, 2010

Then there is this statement which I feel is the most destructive of them all from this man of peace.
“…I’m itching for a fight.” Dec 13, 2010

The President seems to "want his cake and eat it too." On one hand he spews forth "violent" and "aggressive" words, then in other times he pleads for civility and unity.

So after this speech in Tucson this week you can see why I'm I am confused by this benevolent approach to political discourse.

If I was a cynical man I might think that his conviction only is applied to this when it benefits him politically.

I look forward to any insight and opinion about this from my fellow ATS'ers

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Agreed 100%, but be prepared for the Obama love fest to begin in 5, 4, 3, 2, .........................as well as the conservative I hate Palin people. It's a toss up to who will appear first S&F for you.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I honestly think that he is out of his league with this job. It's like putting a three year old in charge of an underwater demolition team. He just doesn't know what to do. It's all about gain, personal and governmental with him. He sees people, regular people as an annoyance, an affront to what he wants to do.

At least that is my opinion. About the most honest opinion I could give.
S+F, because you watched something that I refused to watch.
edit on 13-1-2011 by beezzer because: typo

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
i argree, it seemed he was giving a Prep rally to his troops before a fight, focusing on the fact that we need to stand behind our Government, and each other, In Unity ans work together to a achieve a better final result.

Maybe due to all the strange Weather around the Globe, this is a plea to unite now cause of there uncertainty of what is going on with the weather.

Just a thought.........

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Or maybe it turned into an impromptu "pep rally" because the Palin-blame and the right's backlash to it was just the final straw to a public that is sick and tired of all the hate speech from both sides.

What you are calling a "pep rally" could also have been the audience's collective expression of relief that here was someone stepping up as a leader - of the whole country - and saying things above being left or right.

I watched the speech, and thought the "pep rally" stuff at the beginning seemed a little out of place - not what I expected for a memorial service. I was also concerned going in that Obama might, himself, try and politicize the event - which would have really turned me off. But to Obama's credit, he also seemed a little taken back and uncomfortable with all that. It was about the middle of the speech that Obama seemed to change gears and the speech became inspirational.
edit on 1/13/2011 by centurion1211 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockstrongo37
The President's speech last night honestly left me troubled, and it wasn't just because the atmosphere of the memorial service was more like a high school pep rally with all the cheering and applause. No, this speech was cold and calculating, while masked in warmth and acceptance.

Yes, he should have went up and screamed, then cried, then started pounding the podium with his head and ripped his hair out.

He called for civility in our language, and unity in our words as citizens of this great country.
This plea by the President was out of place simply because of the fact that the killer didn't have a political agenda in his actions, so while this plea for unity may sound good...it wasn't at all appropriate in this setting.

Erm...it wasn't approprate? stop hating and start working together..hmm...what was approprate?

Incidently, can you prove to me, considering you are stating matter of factly there was no political motivation, how you came into this evidence? Should you even be stating this in the public verses testifying in court?

How do you know beyond a shadow of a doubt what the police don't even know yet?

Oh, your just guessing and therefore expect someone making a statement to think exactly like you and make a leap in assumption...gotcha.

But, perhaps he was talking to the pendants on both the left and right concerning the anger of the left blaming the likes of Sarah Palin as well as the spirited defense of those on the right who are angry to even be connected to someone like the killer.

He didn't say either way...and actually encouraged debate in no uncertain terms...but what was said is to debate productively verses just villianize and demonize people whom see things differently. Work for a solution verses work for base brownie points from the most simple minded in the party..any party.

While the latter may have indeed been his point to make, I didn't hear him once proclaim that the killing wasn't politically motivated. He didn't take the high ground at all in this terrible tragedy and establish the real motive of the killer. That motive being founded in a disturbed and warped mind, in a man who was evil at his very core and had no affiliation with any right wing talk show or group.

He didn't say it was NOT because of NASA, or Currency, or Mermaid, or etc...the motivations are unknown..and by it being unknown currently means you do not suddenly know what it wasn't, else that starts ripping away at the unknown bit. Logic 101

I don't know why he did it, so let me tell you why he didn't do it..(guess what, if you remove all the reasons why he didn't do it, then you know why he did do it Sherlock)

The President either ignorantly missed out on this opportunity or didn't address it on purpose.
His call for civil debate and discussion, without inflammatory words, also seems a bit hypocritical considering his own words over the last few years.

Dead horse R beaten..if this is the one point your making, then I call threadfail.

Like telling those who oppose his agenda that we can get "in his car but can sit in the back seat"... and how about these gems from the Commander and Chief...

“If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun.” Wayne PA - June 14th 2010

We’re gonna punish our enemies and we’re gonna reward our friends who stand with us on issues that are important to us," Univision Interview October 25th 2010

"I don't want to quell anger. I think people are right to be angry. I'm angry!" MARCH 18, 2009

".. I want you to argue with them and get in their face." SEPTEMBER 17, 2008

“Punch back twice as hard.” Aug 6, 2009

I want to know “whose ass to kick” Jun 8, 2010

Then there is this statement which I feel is the most destructive of them all from this man of peace.
“…I’m itching for a fight.” Dec 13, 2010

Did he say "I wish everyone could debate like me?" or "I am perfect and untarnished"? Is reflection considered a bad thing now?
We should ignore the words because he said something I didn't like.
I am sure you see what he said as equal to palin crosshairs, or nuts talking about second amendment remedys..I won't go into that though, that to me is a no gain argument and would find it easier having a fundy x-ian accept evolution than have someone examine the two sides retoric..either way, the point wasn't that one side is rising above it, its that both should look for ways to rise above it.

Not sure why this point eludes you.

The President seems to "want his cake and eat it too." On one hand he spews forth "violent" and "aggressive" words, then in other times he pleads for civility and unity.

So after this speech in Tucson this week you can see why I'm I am confused by this benevolent approach to political discourse.

Not really...a snap judgement of you reveals a desire for anger, negativity, and general violence. Meh, it takes all types, just don't expect such a mindset to be overly desirable in the general public as it once was...still, there will always be loud fringe groups you can call home and have your mental masturbatory hate fest...life, liberty, and the persuit of happiness...and if hate = happy for you, then get on it.

If I was a cynical man I might think that his conviction only is applied to this when it benefits him politically.

I look forward to any insight and opinion about this from my fellow ATS'ers

I gave you some...but come on now, who are we fooling...your not looking for insight, you get that from a fringe mindset that fuels misery..your looking for like minded hate monkeys and a troll war.

Enjoy your day

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockstrongo37

And the reason you couldn't put "your take" into one of the many existing threads on the subject is??? What? You're special?

FYI, Obama wasn't talking to pendants. I can almost guarantee it!

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
Agreed 100%, but be prepared for the Obama love fest to begin in 5, 4, 3, 2, .........................as well as the conservative I hate Palin people.

As opposed to a Palin love fest with I hate Obama undertones, huh?

Have a good day.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Holy crap...a reasonable analysis by someone I know to be exceptionally partisan.

Well done sir...and even a star. Welcome to the darkside...want a cookie?

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
I honestly think that he is out of his league with this job.

-snip-
I refused to watch.

At least your being fully informed when you make your comments....

(that was sarcasm...if you didn't watch, why are you in this thread?)

link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Holy crap...a reasonable analysis by someone I know to be exceptionally partisan.

Thanks and what kind do you have? Me, I prefer the Black and Whites from a place called Specialties in downtown SF. It's a fudge cookie with white chocolate chips that they sell you still soft and warm from the oven. Hungry yet?

link   

What do you mean, "the killing wasn't politically motivated?" Didn't it take place at a political gathering? Wasn't the primary target, (Gabrielle Gifford) an elected politician? (My assumption that she was the primary target is based on the notes found in his safe.) It's also pretty apparent, in his online rants, that he hated "currency controlling governments" and the politicians who he believed enabled them.

I think that if one thing is clear, it's that he intended to kill Rep. Gifford and as many of her constituents as possible.

What's not clear, is whether or not the heated political rhetoric of late had any "direct" influence on his actions. The answer to that question is yet to be proven but the one thing I do know is that it, (heated political rhetoric) certainly hasn't helped.

I thought that President Obama presented a truly great memorial speech for the victims and their families as well as for the nation. I will agree however, that the cheering and applauding seemed a little strange at times but after all, the event was being held on a college campus.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

-snip-
I refused to watch.

I give an opinion not based on just ONE speech but on all speeches for the past two years. On the speeches for the years preceding as well. This "meme" that he is playing to is common and getting rather tiring. I stand by my opinion. You are free to disagree, of course.

Defend away!

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
what was the deal with the T-Shirts ?
to me had all the working of a quote by raham,
Don't let a good disature go too waste.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Thanks and what kind do you have? Me, I prefer the Black and Whites from a place called Specialties in downtown SF. It's a fudge cookie with white chocolate chips that they sell you still soft and warm from the oven. Hungry yet?

Diet...we have diet cookies here..meh, our food sucks, but its organic.

And starving actually, damn new years resolution to get back my university body...bah..

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

-snip-
I refused to watch.

I give an opinion not based on just ONE speech but on all speeches for the past two years. On the speeches for the years preceding as well. This "meme" that he is playing to is common and getting rather tiring. I stand by my opinion. You are free to disagree, of course.

Defend away!

Yes, he is a horrible speaker...he is probably going to achieve little in life with such a disasterous speaking ability.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Well I heard differently. I interpreted the speech as he was trying to draw a line between the future rhetoric and the past rhetoric. I am saddened that you have chosen to drag the left right paradigm into this. Do you honestly want more people shot? Give credit where credit is due!

T

Also perhaps he has a vested interest in not having HIS suits ruined by bullets.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by crawgator406
what was the deal with the T-Shirts ?
to me had all the working of a quote by raham,
Don't let a good disature go too waste.

The school sells t-shirts to capitalize on an event.

stop the press! My God..next thing you know, companys will start putting twin towers and 9/11 memorabilia up for auction...

oh...wait...they have? Hmm, I guess people make money out of events. What a strange concept..like they are capitalizing on something..
There should be a word for something like this...some sort of -ism. a person capitalizing on an event that is a -ism...

naa, drawing a blank.

Maybe someone can help me create a word here...some sort of capital -ism word that encompasses this weird profit from things philosophy..
edit on 13-1-2011 by SaturnFX because: moar sarcasm

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   

-snip-
I refused to watch.

Defend away!

Yes, he is a horrible speaker...he is probably going to achieve little in life with such a disasterous speaking ability.

He speaks well. What he speaks is another matter altogether.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

I honestly think that he is out of his league with this job. It's like putting a three year old in charge of an underwater demolition team. He just doesn't know what to do. It's all about gain, personal and governmental with him. He sees people, regular people as an annoyance, an affront to what he wants to do.

That is a BOLD statement considering which President he replaced.

Who are you talking about again?

Khar

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

He speaks well. What he speaks is another matter altogether.

And what he speaks, well, for the subject matter of this thread...I ask again, why are you here? This thread is about, as the title suggests, a take on last nights speech in Tuscon.

See, there was a tragedy a few days back...some gunman went in and shot up a place. Last night, a nearby university held an event where many speakers and representatives came to deliver a ...oh hell, nevermind.

Point being, this thread is about last nights presidental speech about the event and how it related to the specific events...your being general..why not start bringing up birther arguments and how he may have done some coke at university...its all equally inapproprate for the specifics.

<<   2 >>

join