It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is the night sky red?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I have heard the saying "red sky at night, sailor's delight" "red sky at morn, sailors be warn"

However, I thought this was more of an at sunset thing

It is almost 2am ad the sky is like a pale red. Does this mean there is a lot of radiation from the sun hitting the planet? We are supposed to have a solar stream hit earth January 14...

Any ideas?

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by ADUB77
I have heard the saying "red sky at night, sailor's delight" "red sky at morn, sailors be warn"

However, I thought this was more of an at sunset thing

It is almost 2am ad the sky is like a pale red. Does this mean there is a lot of radiation from the sun hitting the planet? We are supposed to have a solar stream hit earth January 14...

Any ideas?

Oh know!!!! Doomsday has hit you over there before 2012! Run! Run! Run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
What part of the World are you Currently in I am in Chicago and see nothing but Cloudy Skies.

link   
The red sky dealys are indeed references to sunset and sunrise. What part of the world are you in? Do you live in country or city? Could you post a pic? My home page widget says the moon is 48% full, doubtful there is enough light coming from it. Need more information please.

link   
I didn't use any exclamation points...

Did you?

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
take a picture if you can!!!
there's lots of new threads about lights and things in the sky..
who knows, they could come in handy
thanks!

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I think that might be an effect from the weather, Because if your in the same part of the world as me then you see this more often when it snows I'm not compleatly sure why the sky turns red when in snows around here at night but it does.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
It's probably just light pollution from the street lights. If there's a thin marine layer then the light will be absorbed by the moisture and give the sky a reddish looking color.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I'm about 85% sure that either:

The sun is close to the horizon (although you said it was 2 AM, so I don't know about this) and sunrise is about to happen...
Or it's cloudy, and you are seeing the lights of cities reflect off the clouds.

I'll admit, I don't know what you are seeing, but I am certain it's easily explainable, and not doomsday...

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Btw...it is snowing pretty heavily here in Vancouver, Canada. I haven't seen a red sky before, so like the above requests, can you go out and take a picture?!? That would be pretty interesting to see

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

certainly is snowing here in Vancouver
no signs of letting up either.
and I thought I was getting home tomorrow night. lots of snow everywhere in bc and some of the passes will surely be closed..
only one state in the us doesn't have snow right now

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
smoke on the water.. fire in the sky..... is it just one part of the sky? or is the whole sky red? the snow on the ground could be relecting city light into the sky a little more than usuall which might make the sky red. im no expert so i honestly dont have an idea. just guessing.... the thread title made me think of the movie fire in the sky.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
The snow is vancouver will be short lived like always. I'm not sure why it even bothers to snow here, its gonna be 10 degrees on thursday and it will all be washed away.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I installed my playstation eye to my laptop in order to snap a picture of the red sky

However, from the camera's point of view it looks normal

So my bad! lol

Probably just the street light, snow and whatever else

But it sure looks red to me!

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by ledzeppelin489

Specifically Sodium vapor streetlights :-)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
If you live near a built up area then the red glow would be light pollution. By "near" the town could be some distance and the cloud low.

Regards

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ADUB77

thanks for trying

check out this other thread from tonight

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
it could be just the angle of the sun to your curent possition.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
So strange you bring this up. We had 6 inches of snow here in Atlanta Sunday night (very unusual), and while it was still snowing pretty heavily, at about 2 a.m. to 2:30 a.m., the sky was clearly a deep red...not really glowing but not dark either. Nowhere near sunrise or sunset. It was the strangest thing I've ever seen.It also happened about three weeks ago at about 1 a.m...clearish skies that night, but I didn't pay as much attention, though again I've never seen this happen before...and I'm a night owl. I'd be very interested to hear from some of the weather experts here on what this might have been.

P.S. This wasn't glow from the street lights. Maybe from a town, but I honestly don't think so because it came and went...although now that I'm thinking this through maybe the low stormy/snowy cloud cover was reflecting something. Still doesn't explain the red on the clear night as well.
edit on 1/12/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Check out this picture taken on 10/1/11 UK On Sky News web site . yourphotos.sky.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join