It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Changing Minds... Almost Impossible?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
The other day I had a revelation. I actually changed my perception on something because of what a fellow ATS'er pointed out. Shocking right?

I mean think about it... Every Christmas (insert your favored holiday here) my family and I can be found gathered at the table discussing everything but the cranberry sauce. Enevitably the discussion usually winds up in the realm of politics or religion. Obviously we love torture because after atleast 3 decades we are all pretty sure where each of us stands. I don't recollect a cosmic shift or severe indigestion ever budging any of us to well... budge.

Year after year we behave like lemmings marching straight into the wall over and over again. It is a sickness of sorts I suppose. From experience I know many others partake in this demented tradition.

I realize the same thing occurs here! Then I found this article m.lodinews.com...

I pretty much agree with his opinion. Minds can be changed. It may not happen often but it does occur.

So my questions are

Have you been involved with a topic here that completely changed your view on the subject?

We are aware that it is rare to change one's thinking/opinion, even when we know it is unlikely to happen we try anyway over and over... why?

I am really curious to see how many here have had an epiphany of sorts just by debating with another member!

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
i dont have my mind made up about anything other than i rather female genatalia than dicks

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

My mind has yet to be changed nor do I believe ive changed any others. My purpose for political and religious debate on here is to find a middle ground. And from a religious stand point, express beliefs that may be misconstrued by popular opinion.. or crazies haha. I know what I believe, and as your article states, its because my experiences (missions trips, seeing prayer be "answered" stuff like that) reenforce that. And I really doubt anything anyone says on here about God is going to change my personal beliefs. But I do believe, if people have questions, and are on the fence so to speak, explaining things that may be confusing can help. As far as politics go... ehh, it gives me a headache... I try and stay outa that as much as possible. espically because I dont identify as a "republican" or "democrat" that much, so people have a hard time understanding my ideals because I dont identify with one group or another.. Hope that helps

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by questcequecest

Atleast there is that I suppose...

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by questcequecest

Double Post
edit on 11-1-2011 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by deanyo

Good post!

I don't identify as one or the other either. That really ticks off the people who call to do "political" surveys.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Thanks! Hope it all makes sense haha, sometimes I struggle putting my thoughts down onto "paper"
Very thought provoking topic as well, kudos to you, love it!

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by deanyo

I have an issue with that as well when I am trying to get my opinion across. My mind wants to take it on a million different directions.

And thanks. I am hopimg the thread doesn't die too quickly because I am really curious. I think it is very difficult for anyone to admit they may have been mistaken. I often wonder if that is what keeps us from truly listening at times.

Wait and see I guess.

edit on 11-1-2011 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Yeah same here, I do better straight up talking, easy and quicker to say what I need to

It is hard, I like to think I can admit when wrong, or when I don't know something, but ya, its hard to be humble... I to hope this keeps going!

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
My mind was changed on capital punishment. I used to be for it, now I am against it, with the exception of extreme cases. Like the guy who did the killings in Tucson, he deserves it.
But for the most part, no.
Good question btw
edit on 12-1-2011 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

That's a biggie for sure!

new topics

top topics

join