It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tevatron accelerator extension denied, one horse race for higgs boson

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
The Tevatron accelerator Tevatron wiki will now end operations this year as was originally planned. (September 2011) after that the only thing capable of potentially detecting the particle is the LHC LHC wiki

BBC news article

I'd really like to know whats to become of the Tevatron, all the money was that was spent on it, does it really cost that much to keep it running? I dunno but maybe its just incapable of producing any more results...

I'm sure I read somewhere that the LCH and had picked up signs of the higgs already im not sure, I wonder when/if it does whats also to become of the LCH, couldnt imagine stripping a 27km long device for parts...

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by roughycannon
The Tevatron accelerator Tevatron wiki will now end operations this year as was originally planned. (September 2011) after that the only thing capable of potentially detecting the particle is the LHC LHC wiki

BBC news article

I'd really like to know whats to become of the Tevatron, all the money was that was spent on it, does it really cost that much to keep it running?
The LHC costs something like $30 million a year, just for electricity. The Tevatron was maybe half that or somewhat less because they shut it down in the winter which the LHC doesn't do.

But that's only electricity, think of all the support staff costs, etc. So, yeah, it costs a lot.

They're running out of time to discover the Higgs boson before they shut down.
edit on 10-1-2011 by Arbitrageur because: fix typo

new topics

join