It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Magnetic North Pole can move up to 80kms A DAY

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
The magnetic north pole moves around all the time, up to and over 80 kilometres in a day, now that is a lot, especially compared to the 40 kilometres a year it is reported to be travelling.

This is due to two things, diurnal motion and the sun.

Diurnal motion is due to the earths axial tilt, and the apparent motion seen at the poles as the earth rotates. In the case of the north magnetic pole, when tracked on a daily basis it will form an oval shape.

Diagram of the diurnal motion of the magnetic north pole

How much it moves during a 24 hour period is dependent on the sun, namely geomagnetic (solar) storms, the stronger the storm, the greater the movement of the pole, as seen in the above diagram, despite such great movements, the pole typically maintains a straight path when the movements are averaged out over a year.

This path is currently moving towards Siberia at an average of over 40 kilometres a year, it is believed this acceleration started around 1970, readings in 2001 have given us the current direction and velocity, at this current path and velocity it is estimated the pole will reach Siberia by 2050.

Diagram showing pole movement during the last century.

Projected pole movement by 2050

Spherical harmonic models have been used to estimate the poles movements as far back as the 1600's, this combined with observations made by navigators of the day have given us a reasonable idea on where the magnetic north pole has traveled throughout the centuries.

Estimated movement of magnetic north pole since 1600

Now, there is speculation that some sort of sudden movement in the magnetic field or of the north pole has been the cause of all the recent bird and fish deaths, unfortunately that is all it is, speculation with very little research carried out. An example of this sort of speculation can be found in a recent thread about Tampa international airport re-designating a runway.

But I digress...Any changes to the magnetic field is recorded and logged at dozens of observation stations scattered all over the northern hemisphere, some, like Natural Resources Canada have live data as well as archived data monitoring the magnetic field, looking over the archived data from the last two weeks has shown no significant change in the magnetic field, this is further backed up by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, whose weekly summary from the week of 27th December 2010 - 02 January 2011 of solar activity suggests nothing of significance.

So to summarize:

The movement and velocity of the magnetic north pole has been known and measured since 2001, daily variances of up to 80 kilometres have been recorded in the past and there is no indication that this has happened recently, therefore whatever the link is (if there is one) with the recent animal deaths, it is safe to say it is unrelated to the magnetic field.

Sources:
Geological Survey of Canada
NOAA Weekly summary
Geomagnetism Magnetic Observatories - Canada
North Magnetic Pole Is Shifting Rapidly Toward Russia - 2005 National Geographic Article

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
unless of course the occurence is the disruption of the birds ability to recognize the magnetic field. yeah the magnetic poles move a lot, but if you affect the bird, not the field, the bird will not be able to navigate, and could even suffocate entire flocks.

not going against your hypothesis, but there are many factors, so maybe you have eliminated the magnetic poles moving being the culprit, but it still very well might be related the the emf. even your post is speculation because the theory isnt that the magnetic poles are killing birds, its that it is a good possibility that something is hampering their ability to navigate using it
edit on 8-1-2011 by GenerationXisMarching because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-1-2011 by GenerationXisMarching because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Very reassuring thread, until I watched this video. Now I'm not so sure.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by GenerationXisMarching

A fair point, although I'm led to believe that it is only migratory birds who rely on the magnetic field for navigation and there is no mass deaths of migratory birds is there?

So with your theory of something hampering their ability to navigate, what do you think the cause is?
Please don't say HAARP.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

I stopped watching when the guy said the pole had moved from northern Canada to Northern Siberia, which is way off.

It's still north of Canada.

edit on 8/1/11 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I guess no one wants to discuss things when there's no fear mongering involved.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by GenerationXisMarching

A fair point, although I'm led to believe that it is only migratory birds who rely on the magnetic field for navigation and there is no mass deaths of migratory birds is there?

So with your theory of something hampering their ability to navigate, what do you think the cause is?
Please don't say HAARP.

Pigeons are not migratory birds and yet they still use the earths magnetic field to navigate.
Some say that is wrong and that they use familiar landscape but that has been proven false by birds that have been released in unknown territory and yet still find their way home over vast distances..

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Pretty much the case
Had that happen with my Martian fossil thread.. nothing to debunk or argue about so it fizzled

You gotta have the sensationalism to draw the crowd... then work out a balance between the trolls and the passing of info
Once you get the formula, life is good

So okay what was this thread about? Oh yeah something about flipping poles...

So what we need to do here is look at history and compare extinction events (there have been several) and see if they correlate with past pole shifts (there have been several)

Caption:
Geomagnetic polarity during the late Cenozoic Era. Dark areas denote periods where the polarity matches today's polarity, light areas denote periods where that polarity is reversed.

So it happens a lot and there are several periods were it was stable for a long time

en.wikipedia.org...

It is interesting to note that this Wiki article was added recently circa 2005

edit on 9-1-2011 by zorgon because: ArMaP did it!!

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Ok lets say the Magnetic Pole has an oval range up to 40km during a 24-hour period.

That still does not account for the current movement we are seeing. In the data it shows that the mean location of the magnetic pole each year is currently moving faster than at anytime in the last 420 years. That is a fact.

What the ramifications of such rapid movement has yet to be seen.

Here is some good info about the movement of Magnetic North.

I wanted to visualize the movement of magnetic north. I used the info from Wiki: Earths's Magnetic Field and plotted them on Google earth.

The Distance Magnetic North has moved is 309 miles in the last 10 years.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/132b93a57d55.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/673017e49393.jpg[/atsimg]

The dance of the Magnetic North Pole from 1590-2010.

Note the rapid movement increase at the very end of the video 2000-2010... The most rapid movement the pole shift has experienced in 420 years is happening right now.

source: GEOMAG

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by AllSeeingI

Nice pics..
Makes it easy to see the acceleration increased since 2005..
A better breakdown by year would be good..

It looks like your 300 miles in 10 years but 200 miles in the last 5 years..

Can I ask you to look at it.?? Plesae

edit on 9-1-2011 by backinblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   

The google earth pictures do give a good perspective but we really only know the rate of movement from the last 100 years, we have scattered data back to 1600 but there are holes where the information can only be estimated.

I think a daily jerk is more of a concern than the current speed and direction of the pole, everyone is jumping up and down about 40km a year, one big solar storm will and has doubled that figure in a day, with no detrimental effects. (that we know of)

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   

The google earth pictures do give a good perspective but we really only know the rate of movement from the last 100 years, we have scattered data back to 1600 but there are holes where the information can only be estimated.

I think a daily jerk is more of a concern than the current speed and direction of the pole, everyone is jumping up and down about 40km a year, one big solar storm will and has doubled that figure in a day, with no detrimental effects. (that we know of)

I don't think random daily fluctuations would be as important as ongoing trends..
The trend appears to be that the movement is accelerating, no.??

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

What would be more likely to knock bird navigation out randomly?

A continual movement the last 10 years or a sudden jerk?

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Looks like Geological Survey Canada is down too...

(Where I sourced the images)

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   

reply to post by backinblack

What would be more likely to knock bird navigation out randomly?

A continual movement the last 10 years or a sudden jerk?

Are we back on the animal die offs or your thread topic?
I have no idea what caused the die offs..
I don't know enough about it and I guess no one else does either because all we have is theories..
No facts..

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 04:57 AM
link   
The data I used to make those images came from wiki and they were the only 4 years they had included.

I would like to create another map if I could find the data to plot.
I am having trouble finding a page that has consistent data of the magnetic pole for each year going back 10 or even a hundred years would be better.

Let me know if you find a page like that or if someone could direct me there.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   

In my OP I had a map that showed the pole's movements since 1600.

Seem the source site is down at the moment though.

It's a conspiracy I tells ya!

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   

In my OP I had a map that showed the pole's movements since 1600.

Seem the source site is down at the moment though.

It's a conspiracy I tells ya!

lol, I wondered what them missing images were..
Maybe we'll see them tomorrow.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   
In a different thread I posted a question, not about migratory birds but about migratory aquatic animals, in particular sea turtles.
To paraphrase:
So... where are the dead sea turtles? Experiments have demonstrated that they do utilize the Earth's magnetic field to navigate. If it takes 20 years to reach reproductive age, the poles would've moved ~800km, or just under 500 miles since they hatched. How do they end up on the same beach, often within meters of where they hatched, if the poles have moved that much?

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

It is hard to debunk the real research you have done.

This is for sure one to watch to see where they go with trying to debunk your research. I do find it interesting how some act like this is something that just happened out of the blue when this has been happening all through our history. Be it that it has been a little more active then it has in history the point is that it has been going on for as long as we have been recording history.

Thanks for the thread S&F for you.

Can't wait to see what other members that have another thread about this have to say.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join