It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US: Vietnamese police roughed up American diplomat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

US: Vietnamese police roughed up American diplomat

news.yahoo.com

HANOI, Vietnam – Police roughed up an American diplomat in Vietnam and repeatedly slammed a car door on his legs when he went to visit a prominent dissident, an official in Washington said Thursday, detailing an encounter that prompted a strong U.S. protest.

U.S.-funded Radio Free Asia said Marchant was attacked outside the home of Catholic priest Thadeus Nguyen Van Ly, wrestled to the ground, put into a police car and driven away.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I saw this earlier today on the news but decided to wait to post it until more details came out.

I dont think its right to just go out and beat up a foreign diplomat. Saying stuff about them is different than actually getting physical.

This happened about a week before Vietnam chooses their new leaders, and the article says there have been increase crackdowns on people criticizing the government.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Its wrong to attack any diplomatic personel.. Though 2 points stick out - he was visiting a catholic priest and they have a bad habit of meddling in affairs of governments around the world.. 2. Unless things have changed these days with embassy staff political officer used to be the title for the c.i.a station chief in the country the embassy is in. And C(aught) I(n the) A(ct) meddles as much as the damn vatican does in the affairs of other countries.. Suspect plotting by the vatican and u.s in vietnam that the vietnamese government became aware of thus the message to both parties that interference with the government by them is not welcomed in vietnam..

new topics

join