It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't Worry, Food Prices are not going to EXPLODE, will they?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
If anyone that goes shopping has realized that the prices of food generally give you a pretty good indicator of inflation. In one week, I saw the prices of butter go up 30%. I saw the prices of milk go up 10%. These of course could be relevant to my area. So......................

World Food Prices Surge to Record, Passing Levels That Sparked 2008 Riots

If you people have not gotten the message YET! Prepare. Do not spend your money on frivolous things. Quit listening to the IDIOTS on the propaganda channels in regards to the market. Yes, the market has gone up. Tell me, if the dollar drops in value, does that make the market go up? Just a question, what does the point score of the Dow actually mean? What is that point score on there? Do you have any clue?

Here you go, a nice snippet do you think SPOOKY DUDE has anything to do with it?

World food prices rose to a record in December on higher sugar, grain and oilseed costs, the United Nations said, exceeding levels reached in 2008 that sparked deadly riots from Haiti to Egypt.

An index of 55 food commodities tracked by the Food and Agriculture Organization gained for a sixth month to 214.7 points, above the previous all-time high of 213.5 in June 2008, the Rome-based UN agency said in a monthly report. The gauges for sugar and meat prices advanced to records.

Sugar climbed for a third year in a row in 2010, and corn jumped the most in four years in Chicago. Food prices may rise more unless the world grain crop increases “significantly” in 2011, the FAO said Nov. 17. At least 13 people died last year in Mozambique in protests against plans to lift bread prices.

So, the more that people tell you that everything is fine, that everything will be great, ask yourself when the last time you listened to say............Barney Frank just prior to the collapse of the economy.

Do your own research!

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I've noticed it.

Bison went up 200%
Milk is up at least 30%.
Gas is up above 3 dollars, which is about 20%.

Hyperinflation is occuring, but it's happening more gradually than an all at once shock.

If it happens in 1 year or 1 month, then impact is still felt.

Good post, S + F.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by saltheart foamfollower

Excellent points, SH, and to add more fuel to your fire, here is an article I found over on ZeroHedge talking about the same thing.

It also has a video embedded showing that the MSM has picked up a little on it, tho the MSM video is rather slanted saying it's because of gasoline prices having increased.

The article also points out that the quantity in the containers has gone down, while the prices have gone up.

This is serious. Gold and silver are nice, ammo is great, but if you cannot eat, then you have a serious issue, and the more time without food... well, it's not pretty.

S&F SH! excellent post!

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
When the markets are high,the dollar is low,it takes that much more to do business with it's decreased value.

It also means that there is scarcity,and the prices are cranked up because of it.

Look at the weather recently,food prices are going to go into orbit.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

Yeah, in the US, the CPI or Consumer Price Index does not even include FOOD, GAS, HEATING OIL and other essential items.

So exactly what is the CPI for you may ask. The CPI or the lie that the government calls the inflation number is created to limit the cost to the government.

Isn't that a COOL way for the government to operate. They create LIES to LIE to people. It is criminal in my viewpoint.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Cygnis

I quit reading over at Zero for the last couple weeks, they are just reinforcing my theory.

Sorry to tell everyone, the World Bank has NOW begun trading in Chinese bonds.

If you do not know what this means, the US Dollar is no longer the reserve currency.

Welcome to complete manipulation of the dollar. Like I said earlier, we should limit our risk by beginning to trade in gold and silver. But we ALL have to or it will not help.

We shall see what happens next. I am thinking a complete realignment of the value. If anyone knows what I mean, see you in Peru. LOL

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   

"see you in Peru!"

I giggled! HAHA.

By now my friend the ones who don't see, are the ones that aren't meant to...

I'm looking at this as societal evolution, good and bad will happen (who are we kidding here the universe is a balance between light and dark) the human race is about to go back to school, we are going to learn something. And...

WE. WILL. LEARN.

It's why we are here.

People will die, yes. That is sad fact and scary to admit to ones self. But many good people will also rise above the grief and suffering to lead their families, friends and neighbors. They will work together.

It really is all good.

-Lightrule

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Good thread, my friend.

*S&F*

As I sit here, drinking a cup of 'joe, patiently waiting for my fire to build, I wonder...
Who controls the price of food?
The corporations?
Or the producers?

How does it rapidly increase in such a short time?

Kind of like the price of gas, but worse...

I love how the price of food increased in 2008 and the packaging decreased in 2009.
All because of the price of gas.
But when the price of gas dropped back to 'normal' in 2009, the packaging stayed the same...
And the food prices kept rising.

So what does that mean?
Well, I'll tell ya what it could lead too...

Skinny Americans.

Hey...SLAYER69! Here's your solution to:
Americans---> You're FAT!

I'm just kidding. Really.
I had to lighten up this scenario with a joke.
Maybe it's a bad joke.

I hate being serious all the time but this could be a sign of bad things to come.
Time will tell.

*(runs to store and clears shelves of canned goods...)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
I referenced this piece from the Consumerist over at the ZeroHedge post. It documents the drop in packaging size or volume while prices stayed the same over the last few years. They call it The Grocery Shrink Ray, I call it stealth deflation.

consumerist.com...

It's been going on for awhile folks. You've been paying more for less for many things for quite awhile now. Bear in mind, this was going on long before the jump in commodity prices. Someone correctly referenced that the CPI quit including food and energy in their formula or at least lessened how much they weighed into the formula back in the 80's because they were deemed too volatile.

The next time you hear a talking head mention how low inflation is, remember your grocery bill.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Actually, food prices are getting lower as I learn to grow the stuff myself.

About the "market", the problem is how, somehow, US has managed to put in place an infrastructure to control the prices. Hell, they even control prices for stuff that is not produced at all on their own continent.
But worse of all is what you see in all the other markets : SHORT-SELLING.
Get rid of that and you'll solve a lot of problems.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Wikileaks already lifted a tip of the uncomming foodprices.

They will be worldwide manipulated to create a demand for GMO food.
When the EU politicians refused to accept (monsanto) guidelines, they stated: Those who will not listen, has to feel.

Remember:

- Solution (bad for civilians) is already on the shelf
- Now they create a problem (food-prices and shortage)
- People demand action
- GMO crops will be allowed.

There is a thread about this somewhere.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
OK do NOT panic... but do store up food now.....! COUNTRY FOLKS WILL SURVIVE!!!!!!!

Here is my suggestion...

#1) get out of the city or have a place to go... When the SHTF... No amount of food will save you when gangs kick in your door about 1 week after the dollar crashes.(after they loot all the video games)

#2) HUGE amounts of food are cheap and nearly FREE RIGHT NOW... here is how. I live in the country, I know how to by in huge lots. I purchased ONE TON of whole ground corn for my chicken flock to mix with other feeds... for about $267.

My point is that ANIMAL FEED STORES, better yet grainerys and mills or storages units/processors have huge bags of corn, whole oats, grains, sunflower seeds wheat... for less than $10 per bag in many cases. Ask grain/mills for "factory rejects" and purchase a TRUCKLOAD OF GRAIN for pennies a pound... (oops you might have to remove sticks or leaves)

So what? there is a photo of a cow or horse on feed at the feed store..... at least this food will keep you alive whe other people starve because *** they ran out of 4 ounce boxes of they're favorite mac and cheese that has a photo of their super hero or video game..***

Go to "pick your own" farms or in a local rural area... on "picking day" you can get the damaged or "ugly" food free or cheap - Buy jars for pennies for home canning at the resell shops, purchase new lids and start canning food!

#3 I have bought huge amounts of food at big box stores. Buy your most often used dry goods in 50 lb bags... We have stored sugar, flour, rice and beans, corn meal, masa. purchase large commercial cans of veg and fruit... (still about $3 for a 7 lb can) this is cheaper than home canned food. I have green beans, tomatoes, sauces, corn, greens..... my pantry is stocked (thank god) for 3 years for my entire family

do this now.......

Find a country relative, grandmother or aunt.. They will likely be a target when people leave the cities in droves.. Ask them if you can stay with them in a crisis

URGENT. NOW change your address on your license/ID to your Aunt or Grandmothers address. (get permission)
***** When the freeways are "blockaded by ATS agents for our protection"******* do you think you can leave the city with your address in town?...Call your grandma or Aunt TODAY!!!!

My adult kids changed their addresses.... when the freeways are closed, they will get OUT with my country address.

Good luck to you all. Hope this helps.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

The price of food is going to go through the roof within the next five years.

That is not a guess that is a promise.

Why? Because farms just got regulated and paperwork and "compliance" costs money and that is just the "visible problem"

The whole blasted Depression was orchestrated by the bankers with lots of help from Congress

Have you ever wondered what the bankers plan to steal this time???

The last time the Central Bankers collapsed the economy they got their traitor Franklin Delano Roosevelt to STEAL American GOLD and handed the gold over to the Bank of England.

I think I know what the plans are this time.

All of our Manufacturing has been sold off, boxed up and shipped to other countries. Thanks to the"Leveraged buyouts" of the 80's and 90's, the bankers and "Foreign Interests" now own what is left. Heck even our Water Authorities, Seaports, Toll Roads and Bridges have been sold to Foreign Interests!

So what is left to Steal???

US Departments of Labor and Treasury Schedule Hearing on Confiscation of Private Retirement Accounts

IS there anything else besides retirement Accounts?

Yes our LAND. Over 40% of US land is farmland. Confiscation of this private land has been in the works for years. Information, billl and laws

And if you do not think the bankers are involved you might want to read this World Bank Document

The real tool for land confiscation is the recent triple whammy.
1. The orchestrated real estate collapse: See AIG and the Big Takeover

2. The proposed confiscation of American's personal saving that will prohibit individuals from investing in land.

PREPLANNED STARVATION

3. The Food Safety Farce that has just been enacted into law will remove independent farmers from the land and drive up food prices as the Ag Cartel grabs complete control of our food supply. Please understand farmers have ONE buyer, the Food Cartel who sets the price they will pay the farmer. The spread between farm prices and consumer prices has been widening for years. Making the food cartel rich and bankrupting farmers.

This means the added cost of the new regulations can not be passed on to the consumer. Farmers already work an outside job to support their farms. They do not have the extra time or money do deal with these regulations. In 2002, the average age of the principal operator was 55.3. "According to the 2002 Census of Agriculture, 50 percent of the farmers are 55 years of age or older" With bewildering piles of paperwork and HUGE FINES coupled with up to ten years in Jail, wouldn't you just give up and retire instead?

Forty-one percent of U.S. total land area is farmland (938.28 million acres). In 1900, the average farm size was 147 acres, compared to 441 acres today....

More than three million people farm or ranch in the United States. Individuals, family partnerships or family corporations operate almost 99 percent of U.S. farms. Over 22 million people are employed in farm or farm-related jobs...

The top five agricultural commodities are cattle and calves, dairy products, broilers, corn and soybeans. U.S. farmers produce 46% of the world’s soybeans, 41% of the world’s corn, 20.5% of the world’s cotton and 13% of the world’s wheat.

The FDA has already stated it will "harmonize" with International "Standards" I have read those international standards with increasing horror. Here are a few choice bits from the standard on ranching:

As you read this keep in mind, under open-range law, cattle can roam and graze at will. It is up to the property owner to fence out cattle if that is his wish; the owner of the cattle has no obligation to restrain his cows. There are thirteen Western states that presently have some form of open-range law because depending on the climate you have anywhere from 2 cows all the way up to 30 cows/sq mile.

For the double fencing my Ag agent required for a licensed petting farm, the minimum cost for materials alone was $75,500 for a perfect square mile or $63,000 for that "average 441 acre" farm.

That is just the start of the costs of the "New Farm Safety Regs"

A complete and reliable system of recording procedures, actions and controls implemented on the farm

make access difficult for unauthorised persons or vehicles

using inert construction and surface materials (NO WOOD?)

Keep a record of all persons entering the farm:

keep the medical certificates of persons working in contact with animals and any document certifying their qualifications and training

correctly isolate from pests and from wild or stray animals, and from other domestic animals (no pets???)

check the quality of the feed delivered in terms of provision for appearance (visual examination) and keep a written record of the results

keep samples of purchased feed for any subsequent analytical testing should a problem of residues be identified at the farm production level [REQUIRES LARGE FREEZER]

An identification and traceability system for animals, their feed and products

For each animal or group of animals, require and keep all commercial and health documents

enable their exact itinerary to be traced from their farm or establishment of origin to their final destination (other farm or abattoir)

establish a data-recording system that can be used to ascertain exactly which batches of commercial feed the farm’s livestock were fed with and what raw materials were used in feed manufactured on the farm and given to the animals.

Source: www.oie.int/eng/publicat/rt/2502/review25-2BR/25-berlingueri823-836.pdf
Also at xstatic99645.tripod.com...

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
A food shortage is a good thing, right, because it means there is a surplus of people and a shortage of food. The alternative, the solution of course to any food shortage, is to flip that around where there would be a shortage of people and a surplus of food for them .. and I find that a frightening scenario. So, I'm all for food shortages instead of a people shortage, unless we can find enough people that might want to leave vuluntarially.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Not only are food prices going up but package sizes are going down. So the inflation rate is even higher... STOCK UP NOW PEOPLE..!!!!

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
And worse, although prices raise, it is mostly not the farmer who profits..

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by EartOccupant
And worse, although prices raise, it is mostly not the farmer who profits..

I know, it's those greedy factory workers that turn those farm products into ready to eat foods (beets and corn become sugars, wheat becomes a sandwich along with a slice of cow). And then there's the drivers that deliver it all, and the grocers that sell it too and I'm sure many more including those that make the machines that mass process it all and the lawyers in case someone becomes disappointed and disgruntled.

Damn them greedy bastards all to hell, huh? They all should be working for free too, like the doctors soon will. Free food should be a right too, it's more important than a doctor, I can (probably) live to see tomorrow without a doctor but I won't last long without food. Dang them insightful overweight people, huh, they were smart enough to see this coming to have prepared, some better than others lately I see, ha.

You know, it's kind of hard to believe people would be going hungry anytime soon here in the nation that has the highest percentage of obesity. Maybe higher food prices would be a good thing, I've even noticed a lot of the people that consider themselves poor are looking pretty plump these days. Deny these evil workers a profit people, grow your own and teach them a lesson (lol).
edit on 7-1-2011 by Shamanistical because: sp

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Dont forget the Fracturing thats going an all over the States...which contaminates (sp?) the Ground Water with hundreds of Chemicals...
edit on 7-1-2011 by Shenon because: spelling

edit on 7-1-2011 by Shenon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Whenever they drag the president in front of the media to jawbone the economy, you know they're concerned (today's jobs report). They threw Bernanke at us too.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/670583ae1656.png[/atsimg]

And the global food index closed 2010 at an all-time high.

So far, the effects of QE-2 are materializing [predominately] in rising stock values, commodities prices, and producer input costs...not yet visible in the CPI data. I expect this to change some in the next couple of months as the global supply chain adjusts to the sudden increase in costs. But how can producers expect to pass 100% of these rising costs on to the consumer in a stagnant economic environment where unemployment persists above 9% ??? They either cut corporate profit margins (bad for the market, bad for the economy), and/or cut labor costs (lower wages, lower employment - bad for the economy). Can QE-3 be far behind ?

Thanks to ATS'er Cygnis, and a few others for zeroing in on another method used to offset producer input costs....the incredible shrinking Dryers container.

Select agra stocks, fertilizer stocks, and related ETF's can provide an adequate hedge against the rising food costs imo.

* Not to be construed as reliable investment advice...I'm a nutter goldbug

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
There are no food riots because the main staple of the poor is kept cheap. Rice.

Here are basic food commodities without rice, note the jump since June.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1b0a3a25ac6d.png[/atsimg]

Here are food commodities including rice. Note that rice is kept relatively cheap.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/265541ec3a54.png[/atsimg]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join