It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How the Pentagon Censors the Movies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:57 AM
link   
After World War 2, the Pentagon established its film approval process, a special movie liaison office, as part of the Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Public Affairs.

Producers and directors wanting access to military equipment, locations or personnel, or even Department of Defense archival footage, which was always very costly, were required to have their work vetted by the Pentagon. Those prepared to reshape their movies in line with Pentagon directives were given substantial financial and technical help; those unwilling to accept its dictates were denied any assistance.

Since then, plot and character changes and outright historical falsification have been the most common demands made by the military, its stated aim being to encourage movies that boost “recruitment and retention programs”. Filmmakers are told that excessive foul language, alcohol and drug use, sexism, racism and other bigotry in the armed forces must be toned down and replaced with “positive” portrayals. Nor is it unusual for the Pentagon to demand entire scenes, even central characters, be deleted.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Wow this is interesting, I always thought TPTB controlled these things somehow though i never considered the military aspect.

Makes total sense to me the way you have explained it.

Good Post

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   
very good video, heres an interesting snippet to add to this discussion...

It is well known that overtly militaristic and patriotic films with Rambo-like heroes boost military recruitment. According to the navy, recruitment of young men into naval aviation increased by 500 percent after the release of Top Gun. Such was the military’s enthusiasm for Top Gun that it even established recruitment booths inside some of the cinemas screening the movie. “These kids came out of the movie with eyes as big as saucers and said, ‘Where do I sign up?’”

www.wsws.org...

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Pan7her

It wouldn't sunrise me in the least if there weren't certain producers/directors at the beck and call of the pentagons propaganda machine. Disney comes to mind.

In fact I'm sure that tax dollars are used to produce, shoot and market patriotic films for social engineering purposes with the Hollywood venture capitalists/producers reaping the benefits.

It doesn't stop with films. Bet that the machine carries over into TV, cable, networks, www. all forms of mass communication.

top topics

join