It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texan declared innocent after 30 years in prison

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Texan declared innocent after 30 years in prison

news.yahoo.com

DALLAS – A Texas man declared innocent Tuesday after 30 years in prison had at least two chances to make parole and be set free — if only he would admit he was a sex offender. But Cornelius Dupree Jr. refused to do so...
Dupree was sentenced to 75 years in prison in 1980 for the rape and robbery of a 26-year-old Dallas woman a year earlier. He was released in July on mandatory supervision, and lived under house arrest until October. About a week after his release, DNA test results came back pro
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Here is yet another person wrongfully jailed for 30 years for a crime he didnt commit, and was told he'd be released if he ADMITTED he did it, he didnt.

Dupree was sentenced to 75 years in prison in 1980 for the rape and robbery of a 26-year-old Dallas woman a year earlier. He was released in July on mandatory supervision, and lived under house arrest until October. About a week after his release, DNA test results came back proving his innocence in the sexual assault.

I hope Texas compensates this man for his time, he's been in prison longer then alot of people on ATS has been alive

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 5/1/11 by argentus because: added external source tags

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   
This is good news and bad news.

It is good news because an innocent man is free.

It is bad news because we the taxpayers are the ones who will pay for his compensation. Don't get me wrong, he deserve every penny he gets. But it's a real shame that we are the ones who must pay for the incompetency of the justice system.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Its terrible really getting jailed for a crime you did'nt commit. I really feel sorry for that man you can imagine it 30 years of you're life taken away because of misjustice. There has also been many more who have faced false imprisonment. There is also more in jail right now who have not commited a crime they are being jailed for.I am glad he got out of prison, but this needs to stop how many more people will be wrongly convicted?
edit on 5-1-2011 by keelan55 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

Didn't they do a DNA Test on him in 1980? i heard this news somewhere that first the DNA claimed it was him so meaning an innocent Texan was sent to jail by false DNA testing?

And Yet this DNA testing proved his innocent after 30 wow that's harsh

yet this also reminds us about the DNA testing that they cant always been wrong, by re doing them multiple times.
Not just one testing and your done.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by PETROLCOIN
But it's a real shame that we are the ones who must pay for the incompetency of the justice system.

It is also a huge shame that we as a populace can't agree on anything...from religion to politics.

The system is set so as to maximize moral acquiescence without educated consideration.

It's all propagated ideology...and until people start putting their money into valid educational cultivation this will continue...whether we or I agree...The problem is the system that defined itself before we as a populace had access to information...

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   

It is bad news because we the taxpayers are the ones who will pay for his compensation. Don't get me wrong, he deserve every penny he gets. But it's a real shame that we are the ones who must pay for the incompetency of the justice system.

I'm all for taking it out of the salaries of those who were so eager to convict him. Texas does this a lot it seems. There was a guy back in the 80's named Lenell Geter who was imprisoned under laughable circumstances for an armed robbery he could not possibly have committed. I only know of him because he shared a lawyer with a kid in Florida I once wrote about named Todd Neely, who was also falsely accused and imprisoned, on charges of attempted rape and attempted murder. He was with his family 17 miles away at the time and had witnesses and receipts to prove it, but he was convicted anyway. Plus, the DA withheld further exculpatory evidence for some unknown reason. After I exposed him in the paper, he lost his job and moved to - Texas.

When the DA there found out why he really left Florida, he lost that job too. Sometimes, life is good.

But yeah, $80K a year? That should be doubled. 30 years is half the man's life, and no amount of money will be able to replace those years, but he and his family should never have to worry about money again. Like I said, dock the pay of those asses who - for one reason or another - thought it better or easier to convict an innocent man rather than search for the truth.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by OldCorp
Like I said, dock the pay of those asses who - for one reason or another - thought it better or easier to convict an innocent man rather than search for the truth.

No argument here. Or even better, take it from a random corporation. Why the hell not? Sure, they have nothing to do with it, but neither do we. Why are we always the ones to have money taken from our pockets? How about they contribute a little more than lead paint and fluoridated water to our society?

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 03:08 AM
link   
its funny because i can see this becoming a good thing for tptb they could lock everyone up for 6 months each then at the end go opps sorry made a mistake u all get compensated then everyone is paying everyone elses compensation and they are getting some sort of profit out of it haha!! that and they could be getting you all to make things for them whilst youre all in there! god bless america!

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter
Didn't they do a DNA Test on him in 1980? i heard this news somewhere that first the DNA claimed it was him so meaning an innocent Texan was sent to jail by false DNA testing?
I think you heard wrong, the article says it was eyewitness testimony (not DNA evidence) which jailed him, and that's the most common cause for innocent people being jailed:

www.innocenceproject.org...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/61e28612ef33.gif[/atsimg]
That graph will need some updating now.

So severe is this problem that some courts are reluctant to convict someone when eyewitness testimony is the only evidence available. The courts, attorneys and the entire legal system knows how unreliable it is. So why do we still jail people based on eyewitness testimony? That's part of the problem.

In 1980, DNA testing was still in its infancy and wasn't widely done. But I'm not sure why it took this long to finally do it?

$2.4 million tax free, he earned it, even that can't be enough compensation for what he endured but at least it's something.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Yeh but why? He should sue the cops that arrested him and interogated him.....take his pension and everything hes got.

The only reason the taxpayer should pay for this is if we are stupid and let them charge us fr it.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

So severe is this problem that some courts are reluctant to convict someone when eyewitness testimony is the only evidence available.

Indeed. I dont know about the US, but eyewitness testimony is considered weak evidence in Slovak courts. Without any more reliable supporting evidence, it is not enough for conviction.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by PETROLCOIN

What more do you want?

People complain about this, complain about that but they seem to like overcrowded jails and a justice system that jails non-violent offenders. Otherwise, why do you think it's so prevalent in our society?

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
"""sentenced to 75 years in prison"""

murderers only get @ 15 years in prison here. Likely out on parole in 8.

The State that stole that mans life should be forced to cough up millions.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I hope he gets compo thats a lot of his wife wasted

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter
reply to post by HomerinNC

And Yet this DNA testing proved his innocent after 30 wow that's harsh

yet this also reminds us about the DNA testing that they cant always been wrong, by re doing them multiple times.
Not just one testing and your done.

As a criminal forensic major
I can answer you....

No! DNA testing was not available back then for this. It was invented in 1985. 1987 was the first time it was really used in criminal cases....a man was found guilty based on DNA testing.

Even today...labs are backed up all over the country and manpower and funding is still very low.

This is why now we continually hear new stories about people being set free based on DNA tests. They are now available....but it takes appeals, time,manpower and money to get these tests completed.

And those speaking of eyewitness testimony......eyewitness testimony is weak at best....and the courts recognize this. Evidence is needed to corroborate eyewitness testimony....if one wants a conviction.
edit on January 5th 2011 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join