It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DEFCON 2010 talk regarding the relationship between your ISP and your government

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
It's sorta long and pretty technical, but very interesting nontheless. DEFCON talks are known to typically be on the cutting edge and highly reliable in terms of their content. Some background info for those unfamilar:

DEF CON (also written as DEFCON or Defcon) is one of the world's largest annual hacker conventions, held every year in Las Vegas, Nevada. The first DEF CON took place in June 1993.
Many of the attendees at DEF CON include computer security professionals, journalists, lawyers, federal government employees, crackers, cyber-criminals, security researchers, and hackers with a general interest in computer code, computer architecture, phone phreaking, hardware modification, and anything else that can be "hacked".

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ayoss

Can you give a summary of the video and the points about it that you would particularly like to discuss? Is there something specific in this video that grabs your attention? And why not explain the relation is between ISP and the government? Is this based on fact or speculation? Your OP is missing a lot.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Oh. I'm not done yet but overall it seems like a must-watch for anyone who looks at anything that could be considered controversial (pretty broad spectrum according to the MIAC report) on their home computer. I, for one, thought that using encryption would give me some pretty decent safety but according to the video, law enforcement will semi-regularly come up against encryption but it hasn't stopped their efforts to gather evidence. Odds are though that this can be attributed to weak passwords... I hope.

Another thing that stuck out was how we are seeing a trend of law enforcement resorting to using more technological methods to gather information due to how it can save resources. An example is cited how to get the contents of 5 suspects' mail boxes would require 5 raids with multiple agents for each raid, whereas when dealing with e-mail, one agent can merely tack a bunch of names onto a single warrant and get a bunch of data at once. This trend will continue as we see more and more matters conducted using 1's and 0's opposed to lower tech means.

I can elaborate further once I'm done the video. Was pretty impressed by what I found so far and didn't want to wait before sharing. In the past, information presented at Defcon conferences are pretty bulletproof and aren't based on opinion or speculation. I believe they have some sort of review process before they are up on stage.

I'm new here, I apologize for not pointing out what was of interest. Now I know.

new topics

join