It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Compassion for those who have lost all hope

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by In nothing we trust

Originally posted by Alethea
reply to post by In nothing we trust

Is the loss of hope from grief or desperation?

One must keep seeking to get past it. We have all walked through the valley of shadows.

Someone that has already lost their wife and has just been diagnosed with a terminal illness.

Curious... that could be me (though it is not.) My wife died in March, and I've been working through a chronic health condition that the doctors can't seem to sort out, the end result of which is likely my demise. I agree with the poster who said that traumatic grief can bring this sort of thing on (widowers are six times more likely to die than other males who are of similar age and health.) In my case, though, it's been deteriorating for years, so it isn't related.

Anyhoo, what keeps me going? I can't even answer that myself, some days, but it generally comes down to my faith, and the belief that, until I run out of time, I've things to do. There are practical matters, like getting my estate in order, and making sure that my daughter is staying on the right track. And there are esoteric things, like wanting to continue to grow spiritually, and wanting to help others.

Right after Patti died, I wanted to die, not only to be with her, but to be away from this pain, both emotional and physical. That feeling went away pretty quickly, but the other side of it, the "will to live", hasn't come back to the level it was before. I went from having my whole future sorted, knowing what we would do, when we would retire, and so forth, to having a future that didn't really matter all that much. That's tough to deal with, and I'm sure that it's a big issue for the person you are talking about.

But I still plug away, content to live my life the best that I can, to continue to do what I can to improve the world, and to serve as an example for others. Some days are harder than others, but as time goes on, it does hurt less.

Early on, when I was still in that "wanting to die" mode, something occurred to me, which comes out of my personal faith, but if a person accepts any sort of meaning in this life, I think it's applicable. Patti and I loved the show Lost, and one of the recurring lines in that was "The Island isn't through with you yet." For me, that became "God isn't through with you yet."

There is still work to be done, contributions that I can make, and, so long as I can still draw a breath, it's that that gives me the strength to draw that breath, even when I'm not sure that I really want to.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Huggiesunrise

If you never had kids or had someone to love then I really don't know what to say, because you never lived.

Try losing them all and wondering the point of it.

True terror

Take your pick of the verbiage, but it is all the same.

Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.”

bible.cc...

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101

you will have no words

I had no words

I just turned and walked away

Sorry to hear that.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

My God you're my hero! That's amazing, may you enjoy grace upon grace.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101

you will have no words

I had no words

I just turned and walked away

Sorry to hear that.

Sorry (Courtesy - Not Compassion)

At your end how will you go out?

I remember my grandfathers funeral [They stopped traffic in the city for the Procession (Latin -processio), and they gave him a 21 gun salute. My dad took possession of his ring and I got a coin] but I don't remember how he died.

Odd why didn't I ask?
edit on 5-1-2011 by In nothing we trust because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen

Patti and I loved the show Lost, and one of the recurring lines in that was "The Island isn't through with you yet." For me, that became "God isn't through with you yet."

My wife and I loved that show as well. I can't remember how we found it but we rented the first episode and we became hooked on it. We quickly rented every one of the previous seasons and watched them within a period of a week if I recall. You're post reminded me and I just checked with my wife and she says that we never saw the last season. I think we will rent it.

edit on 5-1-2011 by In nothing we trust because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join