It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Compassion for those who have lost all hope

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
What do you say to someone that has lost all reason to live?

Honestly I don't know.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by In nothing we trust

The beauty of this world is slowly depleting, might as well make the most of what we have now and enjoy it.
We have animals now that we take for granted, soon they will be past memories, like Tasmanian tigers, dodos etc.
We live in a wonderful world, that we are destroying.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   

you will have no words, unless he/she is the reason for your hope and will to live.....

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   

What do you say to someone that has lost all reason to live?

Instead of speaking, try listening.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101

you will have no words

I had no words

I just turned and walked away

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Is the loss of hope from grief or desperation?
One must keep seeking to get past it. We have all walked through the valley of shadows.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   
It depends on the reason they lost the reason to live.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   

I wouldn't know...lately I've been feeling kinda down about life myself. I keep thinking what's the point? You get a job, get married, have kids, retire, then die. I just don't see the point. I have no motivation to go to work anymore...sometimes I pray for the second coming just so I can have something new happen to me. Pretty sad right? *sigh*
edit on 4-1-2011 by freedish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alethea

One must keep seeking to get past it. We have all walked through the valley of shadows.

Someone that has already lost their wife and has just been diagnosed with a terminal illness.

I actually get alot of stuff like this.

Latley it gets to me more than it used too.
edit on 4-1-2011 by In nothing we trust because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   

I would pray for her, God is always listening...and watching..

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by freedish

God is always listening...and watching..

That is if WE are GOD.

Better than nothing and silence I guess.

Life goes on, it could end at anytime, enjoy it while you are here, pass along whatever you can to your kids that will help them or people that you think will help them.

Accept that fact and have no fear.

If you never had kids or had someone to love then I really don't know what to say, because you never lived.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by In nothing we trust

Someone that has already lost their wife and has just been diagnosed with a terminal illness.

I think that deep grief can actually bring on illness. When people have such deep sorrow they do not take careof themselves. If they are not surrounded by love and caring to comfort them, I think there can be a quick demise. I would venture to offer that this person is missing a loving family and the comfort of friends and is alone.

As another poster said, sometimes just listening can help them. Being a friend when someone is in need is sometimes the greatest good you can do for them. I think loss of love in life is what kills quickly. It's not about how much you enjoy the "things" life has to offer. If you have no one to share it with---that is when you lose the love for life and sometimes the will to live.

Granted, some may think this is selfish, but we are all "needy" when it comes to love because there is never enough of it to balance out or out weigh the hardships and griefs.

Sympathy is the emotion you feel; compassion compels one to action. If you want to help this man in his last days, spend some time with him. Invite him into your circle of friends, or into your family if he has none. Show concern for his health and well being. Make sure he is eating or is going to the doctor when he needs to go. Show enough interest to determine what some of his major needs are and if they are being fulfilled or if he needs help. Will his illness prevent him from being able to get around or feed himself in the near future? Help him start making arrangements for outside help if he is going to need it. Scope it out because many times these depressed, grief stricken people will not tell you what they may need because they are beyond the point of caring about themselves anymore.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   

I would have convinced him that he is now truly free to do what he wants...if he is going to be dead soon, what limits are there?

People usually become angry and bitter and want to either just die or they want to hurt other people to make the other people hurt as much as they do. Just try to relate, and give love, because love and compassion is what is going to heal this world, not indifference.

edit on 4-1-2011 by aching_knuckles because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   

I would venture to offer that this person is missing a loving family and the comfort of friends and is alone.

I would have to think that you are right.

All the more guilt I guess when I turn my back and walk away without saying anything.

There's a part of me that says that I'm being played, but then I see the circumstances of their existence and I am ashamed of the thought. No a lot of the time these people have lost the will to live and no amount of money will fix their prediciment.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Sometimes can only provide a good ear for them .. Listen to what they say without judging.. It can help loads just by being there for them and listening rather than trying to say anything.. Depends upon the person and situation as far as what to say goes.. A hug can go further than words to reassure people as well..

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101

you will have no words, unless he/she is the reason for your hope and will to live.....

I had no words

I just turned and walked away

I had hope you would understand my simple line. The only reason why we hope and live in this world because of others. Humankind needs to feel they are needed or wanted, to belong, to be a part of. But if he/she becomes alone or outcaste, then it is a terrifying ordeal. No one is born out of a rock.

To lose all reason and hope to live, is to be alone. loneliness kills. But if you truly care, he/she needs not be alone, but to be wanted and needed. With this message, it will pull him/her back from the brink. And in time, as his/her confidence in herself growns, so too will the social circle, and will no longer have any reason NOT to live or to hope.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   

If you never had kids or had someone to love then I really don't know what to say, because you never lived.

Try losing them all and wondering the point of it.

In this case there is no difference then someone whose never had or doesn't have a family. The reason to keep living are numerous and abundantly available for those who want to pick them or make them up out of their imagination.

The bottom line is the choice is always theirs Nothing you can say will matter. the question what do you say? Express yourself comfortably and tactfully. Know your not right or wrong as far as they are concerned and that you have absolutely no power in their life. As it should be.

otherwise continue your drama to your utmost satisfaction if their depression assists you in that.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   

There's a part of me that says that I'm being played,

"It's the one who won't be taken, who can not seem to give..."

www.youtube.com...

edit on 4-1-2011 by Alethea because: vid

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Tell them that the feelings they seek - freedom from pain, relief and peace are not guaranteed by taking their own life. That they are experiencing all these doubts and issues at this specific time did not come about by chance and a random series of events.

I forgot who made the following quote but it rings true for so many aspects of life:
"Life is not about how many times you win; it is about how many times you can rise from defeat."

Even the worst of situations can bring out the best in people.
edit on 4/1/2011 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   

I actually get alot of stuff like this.

Latley it gets to me more than it used too.

The truth is that when any of us are blindsided with a chunk of pure hell, it's an opportunity to become greater and stronger than we were, or could've become if we hadn't been blindsided. Here's an analogy that I have offered friends when they've gotten creamed by overwhelming misfortune. I call it my diamond analogy.

The difference between a diamond and a lump of coal has nothing to do with what either came into the world as raw material. The difference may not even be what either possesses in inherent capacity. In fact, both might have been completely identical over the first leg of their existential race, but something happened that changed one into a dazzling example of eternal beauty, as the other carried on as no more than fuel for an inevitable fire. What happened was stress. And when I say stress, I mean the most horrific and relentless stress imaginable.

Sure, some coal that was presented that same stress didn't survive. And for a slew of understandable reasons. But the diamond is what became of the coal that did survive, and no one will ever mistake that diamond for a chunk of coal.

So, what of the coal that could've become a diamond, if only it'd been selected by raw circumstance to become one? Too bad. It never was presented with the opportunity to become a diamond. It never received the heat, the enormous pressure, the millions of years of sheer hell that transformed that other lump of coal into the flawless legend that it's become. It was never offered the chance to pay the price to become legendary. So, it's a lump of coal, and that's all it'll ever be.

The human being emerges from corporeal death as the completed and fully viable being that it's been creating of itself since the moment the sperm cracked the egg. Some of us will never be offered the chance to become immeasurably powerful, while others will fail when presented with that opportunity. There will be those, however, who will realize the gift that they've been given - the opportunity for advanced training as a developing human being - and will work to take full advantage of that opportunity. These ones will be the people that we'll all wish we could've become, when this brief phase has completed and we've all graduated and left this corporeal realm behind.

Your avatar suggests that you've had military training. Your friend was tapped for elite training. Maybe if he knew that, he might see the potential for his own eternal development by accepting that offer and proving himself willing and able to succeed in that elite training. This is what's happening in his life. It's tragic that most people haven't learned to recognize it when it taps them on the shoulder. That said, here's your opportunity to do something wonderful for him that will (maybe) transform him forever.

I haven't got any clue as to the number of people who've directly benefitted from realizing this one true thing. I wish you well in helping your friend accept this terrible opportunity and gain immeasurable from it.

edit on 1/4/2011 by NorEaster because: (no reason given)

<<   2 >>

join