It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pennsylvania allows gas drillers to dump pollution into drinking water supplies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Pennsylvania allows gas drillers to dump pollution into drinking water supplies

www.rawstory.com

The natural gas boom gripping parts of the U.S. has a nasty byproduct: waste water so salty, and so polluted with metals like barium and strontium, that most states require drillers to get rid of the stuff by injecting it down shafts thousands of feet deep.

Not in Pennsylvania, one of the states at the center of the gas rush.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.mlive.com

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I originally saw information about this in the Documentary 'Gasland' If you have not seen this documentary yet I highly recommend watching it to get a better idea of the atrocities being committed to our land,water and bodies.

I cannot believe this is being allowed to happen,gas levels in the water to the point that water coming out of the sink can be lit on fire!!!
the land being destroyed with pollutants,The land being tore up by the drilling methods "Fracking"...
Personally,I would call it Insanity and disgusting.

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 3-1-2011 by PerfectPerception because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by PerfectPerception

The fact that PA is the only state to allow the partially treated wastewater to flow into our streams and rivers is mind blowing.

I did see that documentary and it was brilliant

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I live in the area mentioned in the article, well, the surrounding area, and I'll tell you...
It's getting ridiculous.

The lengths people go to for a dollar.
The things that families do just TO MAKE A DOLLAR.
All because they can't afford anything else in this backwards country.

The environment is meaningless, the water is meaningless, etc...
Who needs clean water to survive?

Now, they are seeing the results of this gas drilling all over the state of PA and in WV, and OH.
And it's killing the water table.

All for a dollar.

Makes me sick to my stomach.
And I'm no hippie.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Here is the trailer for 'Gasland' the documentary I mentioned in the Op:

What has been done and continues is nothing short of criminal

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
This is a big issue where I live in the Western Slope of Colorado. They want to keep the increasing their scope of drillilling, people aren't that crazy about it.
edit on 3-1-2011 by mtnshredder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Looks like you about a month ahead of the MSM, Good job.

www.pennlive.com...

Im from that area also. Elk/Cameron/McKean Co area. Dead Center. This just sickens me to no end.

My best friend told me last week that he almost got ran of the roadway by one of the waste water haulers (off Route 6 area).

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Pennsylvania is now doomed.

I have denounced fracking here in Northwestern PA with as loud a voice as I can, and very few will listen,
as it is such a depressed area, and all they can see is the pitiful dollar signs promised...

My beautiful valley is going to be destroyed... one of the very few pristine areas of this country left.

We are seriously thinking of leaving in the next couple of years.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
This is not cool. When I run the tap into a glass of water and hold it up to the light outside, it's very hard NOT to see all the crap floating around in the water. My parents claim that it's just air bubbles floating up from the bottom when it ran into the glass so hard from the faucet. I could understand this...but this stuff just floats around...it doesn't rise.

Also, thought this might be interesting to take a look at:

strontium
barium

If you scroll down a little ways on both pages, it explains the health factor of these chemicals. Barium can actually cause paralysis and death.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Yum Yum! Now even in hexavalent chromium flavor!

Apparently they never learned the lesson from the whole PG&E situation in Hinkley, CA. And the way that happened was mostly through neglect, rather than direct action.

Anybody getting on the class action suit train yet? Or are the people there left that far out in the dark?

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
I am in Pa myself,although I am unaware of any drilling near where I am located
I can attest to the water being polluted,irony smelling and just one of the many reasons I drink filtered water and try make sure it is as pure as possible.
Never out of the tap!
like I said earlier in the documentary I posted,a man can light the water coming out of his faucet on fire!!!

it is down right,complete insanity as far as I am concerned,It needs to be stopped immediately

new topics

top topics

join