It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

22 Qld Towns Hit By Floods

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   

22 Qld Towns Hit By Floods

www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au

This makes up an area the size of France and Germany combined and an area greater than the size of New South Wales.

EMQ Acting Assistant Director-General Warren Bridson praised the community spirit of the estimated 200 000 Queenslanders impacted by the flood disaster.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.couriermail.com.au
www.theaustrali an.com.au

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Forced evacuations begin in Rockhampton

Mod Note: You must use the original headline from your source Please Review This Link
edit on 3/1/11 by argentus because: change headline to reflect that of source

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Things are getting no better for Queenslanders as the upstream flows continue to inundate Rockhampton and surrounds.

The last road in is about to be cut off, pets have no where to go, food prices are expected to increase by 50%, incomes and livelihoods are being lost, and to top it off, more storms are heading that way tonight.

It has become so severe that it can even be seen from space.

www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   
The disaster can now been seen from space:

False-color images using a combination of infrared and visible light to enhance the contrast between land and water taken by MODIS on NASA’s Terra satellite on December 31, 2010 (top), and December 28, 2009 (bottom). “Vegetation is bright green. Bare ground appears in shades of brick red and pinkish brown.” Source: NASA-EO.

link

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Well i got family up there my family is safe up in rocky there on high grounds
chinchilla my home town they had boats going up and down my grandmas street there shes safe now im waiting on pics to get sent to me

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by xmetalgear

My god, Chinchilla has really copped it. Has your grandmother ever experienced floodling like this before? I'm glad your family are safe and well. You must know people who have not been so fortunate. Your grandmother must have a real mess to go home to.

The weather radar tonight is showing Bundy and other areas are getting more rain tonight
BOM
edit on 3-1-2011 by zenius because: add bom

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by zenius

wow that's anmazing poor guys up that way!

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by zenius

i havent been to my home town in 10 yrs or more im only 23 my grandma stayed there the whole time house was liftted up
she is fine so is all the rellos up in rocky i think 20 or more people have been injured two killed so far

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   
kinda opens your eyes as too where the water once ran.

A prime example.

When I moved to Jimboomba in 90, I was 6, my parents purchased house & land. About an hour south of Brisbane, QLD. The area flooded around us in early 91. Big big floods. My old man sold the house about 3 years ago and I drive through the area now and there is a housing estate containing an estimated 300 homes where the ground was under water not 20 years ago.....

I drive by and laugh. Fools... oh what fools!
I hope ye all have flood insurance.....

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by spearhead

Yes it's ridiculous that so many housing estates are being built on flood plains and mangroves/swamps. But places like chinchilla and up that way, they had a dry creek bed before these rains. They don't have flood insurance. What I also find amazing is the difference in the two images above. The second image is 3 days after the first, and the green which signifies vegetation is nearly all gone in the second pic.
These floods have caused a huge environmental impact as well as human/economic.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Latest: Rockhampton is completely cut off
www.news.com.au...

So unless by sea or a major tour inland, everything north of Rocky is also cut off.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by zenius

was cut off before Christmas and chinchilla the i remember all the water restrictions we had there my pop was a well known man in that area

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   
yeah it's bad days over there thats for sure the whole east coast has been hammered we over in the west are waiting for some rain big time. makes you wonder if people will start building their houses on high stilts again so floods never affect them might be some hard days ahead for the low income earners thats for sure. hope too many lives aren't lost to this natural event will just make things worst.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I saw this on the news last night as Ive been cut off from civilization the last couple of days!
I almost flipped when I heard about the government warning about crocodiles and water snakes!
Holy junk!
My thoughts and continued prayers for you Australians!

top topics

join