It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drivers Set To Face Organ Donor Question

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:
MBF

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I am an organ donor. The way I look at it, when I'm dead and gone they can have anything that I have if it can make somebody's life better and relieve their suffering. Face it, I won't be able to use it any more.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by MBF

a selfless choice indeed. my issues are with the paperwork and a niggling feeling the organ system could be hijacked through outsourcing thus making all organs commodities. abuse of that system could lead to many horrors. my open on death letter addresses both issues as well as a wish for a less fortunate soul be given my bits if compatible as the dominant consideration.
f

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
If you opt out, you should not be allowed to receive organs when you are in need of one. Give and take, like.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Like the poster above I fall on the very harsh standpoint. Sign up, or don't ex[ect any organs if you should ever need one.

In the UK, you are considered an adult at 18...but to be fair lets say until the age of 20 (to give people a couple of years to make a considered decision) you are eligible to receive organs if you should need them. But after your 20th birthday, you are no longer eligible until you yourself agree to be an organ donor.

There arn't enough organs to go round as it is so if somebody has to lose out...well in my opinion it should be the 30 year old man who chose not to help others after his death, and not the 30 year old man in the next room who has allowed every organ in his body to be used after his death.

I am 18 myself and have signed up.

Yes it may sound harsh, but I suspect many of those who would loathe to give an organ would be happy to receive one if they needed it.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by john_bmth

i agree with your decision on this aspect of organ donation. it would be of great benefit to the big society to engage with the government and thrash out a fair and balanced policy with regards to where we stand as individuals and as a collective with organ donation,equal opportunity to all recipients not just on merit of wealth, but also on whether that individual deserves that precious resourse; for example a pisscan getting a new liver only to carry on tinning and destroy it.
on a global scale reports of former yugoslavia atrocities regarding the harvesting of human organs from 'prisoners of war' suppressed by the eu for a number of years as well as the 'jewish organ scandals' quietly forgotten through media saturation of other terrors.
i stand by my personal desicion on how i decide the protocols concerning my demise. with regards to receiving i feel i do enough excercise/healthy eating and all vices within moderation to be satisfied with my state of health. although not religiously affiliated 'there but for the grace of god go i' comes to mind and i hope i never get to a state of needing a transplant. these conditions will stand until a government has the nuts to address this issue with full see-through.
f

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

You are of course correct in your assertion that heavy consumers of tobacco and alcohol are of little use in terms of organ donation, but I was refering to those PRODUCING those products. In terms of those who make tobacco products, I believe unless I am very much mistaken that people producing them are in fact slightly less likely to consume them because they understand the gravity of the substances contained in the product of thier labours, and doing so are somewhat less likely to partake in what they know to be cancer causing and dangerous habits. I am also of the understanding that those who make alcoholic beverages are somewhat less likely to drink to the point of making thier livers useless for donation, again, because they realise the extreme risk to health of drinking over much of thier product, better than do the persons purchasing the product at the counters of super markets bars and off licence premises up and down the nation.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   
My father died of lung cancer and our family was asked to donate his corneas, his kidneys, his marrow and a swathe of other foundations calling just after his death 12 years ago all wanting their piece of him.
We ended up taking the phone off the hook that's how bad it got.
If the families of smokers can be asked to give organs, then smokers should be able to receive them as well while still alive.
The only part of a smoker that apparently is of no use for organ donation is their lungs.
There are still many other body parts that are still needed.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
There is good reason to opt out, I was one but not any more.
They don't use any anesthetic, when they take it out and they often don't wake long to take out the organs. In Europe they wait a whole week to bury you for very good reason, for some of what we call dead truly is fully dead. Stats on being buried alive aren't all that great. Imagine those same stats applied to organ donation.
If they're not going to not take a chance and put some under, just in case, the donation's off for me and my family.

And on top of that there are vans being deployed at the east coast to nab organs quickly, from what? I can't remember the details of this it was a thread somewhere.

I don't think its safe to be a part of this system for organ donation.

They wait until you are clinically dead [brain death] before they harvest the organs. There is no need for anesthesia.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
The reason they don't let you opt out is if you become incapacitated - like a bad accident and your going to die, they can ask your family if your organs can be donated. Since you never specifically said no and you are brain dead or something to that sort your next of kin can make that desicion being that you can't make it for yourself.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join