It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Personality Takeover

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Hey everyone,

I'm just wanting some opinions on something that has been on my mind lately. I have a couple of good friends that seem to be on my mind lately. The thing is that without really wanting to, the things they do and the wayt they act seem to floor into my mind quite a bit. Sometimes I can hardly wait to get home and go to bed so that the thoughts can have more prominance when I'm alone. It almost seems like a benign possesion of sorts.

I can sometimes feel that I'm starting to act and respond much as they would and that I'm losing myself somewhat.

Any thoughts on this? I'm I simply going crazy or is there any possibility that there is something else involved here? I mean, I function normally at school and work but who knows how far this will go.

Thanks for any thoughts ==

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by AidanK
Hey everyone,

I'm just wanting some opinions on something that has been on my mind lately. I have a couple of good friends that seem to be on my mind lately. The thing is that without really wanting to, the things they do and the wayt they act seem to floor into my mind quite a bit. Sometimes I can hardly wait to get home and go to bed so that the thoughts can have more prominance when I'm alone. It almost seems like a benign possesion of sorts.

I can sometimes feel that I'm starting to act and respond much as they would and that I'm losing myself somewhat.

Any thoughts on this? I'm I simply going crazy or is there any possibility that there is something else involved here? I mean, I function normally at school and work but who knows how far this will go.

Thanks for any thoughts ==

It'll probably fade in time... or you will understand it better. I wouldn't dwell on it. It's not good to think you're crazy over such a thing.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by AidanK

I remember when I was a kid...at a window washing gig, with a pal. A beautiful Summer day, taking a smoke break, looking over the hills, in the countryside that was receding in to monster palaces, houses built from edge to edge of every lot, in order to to stave off the boogeyman.

I said something like: you've got to be able to see the Huns over the horizon, even before they are assembled.

bush 1 was prez, possibly Reagan.

My thoughts? I never want to hear a voice inside me saying: you killed (my name). Because this is a distinct possible outcome.

See David Lynch's 'Lost Highway'.

Remember the part where satan arrives, holding a cellular.

Yup. Remember that.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I think it's just natural. You shouldn't worry too much about it though, it's only for now.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
If you have a strong relationship with someone this kind of stuff just happens.

If you date / are married to someone for a long time you even adopt each others facial expressions, way of talking and develop a kind of private language.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by AidanK

Sounds like you are at a turning poin in your life and conscious awareness as a human being, which can be kind of scary, especially if we're really hard on ourselves.

Be gentle with yourself, and somehow peel yourself away from that which might kill you spiritually, get away from it, and if needed from them and find or create new friends in your life as needed. This will of course be a painful process, but well worth the effort.

May the peace and undertanding the protection and care of God be with you and watch over you, in the name of Jesus Christ, amen. (doesn't matter if you believe in this, I can still pray it for you).

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by AidanK

I'd be slow to jump to any sort of conclusion regarding the supernatural here. As other posters have already said quite eloquently, spending time with other people will change you. It's not really a question of whether, but extent.

If you spend an inordinate amount of time with people who have negative (or positive, for that matter) attitudes about a certain situation, you're that much more likely to come to agree with those attitudes congruently. From a linguist's point of view, it's scientifically proven that we pick up phrases and linguistic habits of those whom we hold in respect. From a psychological standpoint, the same rings true. If we subconsciously respect an individual or group of individuals, we adopt their attitudinal and linguistic habits to an extent accordant with our respect for them. It's straight science.

I hope you get to the bottom of it.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Epsilon5

I've been with my partner for 5 years and we can more or less hold an entire conversation out loud with out anyone around us having the slightest clue what we are talking about

Sometimes we even do it without meaning to and just expect other people to get what we are saying

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by AidanK

Birds of a feather flock together... you are who you hang with.

I was always warned to be mindful of who I hang around. Either you will become like your friends, or they will become like you.

It is very common to speak, behave, and think like people you trust, are comfortable with, and spend time with. I wouldn't attribute this to some scary personality take over.... just you becoming more like your flock.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Thank you for your replies. They make me feel a bit more normal.
I'll see how this plays out but I really dream about this conversion often. Could this be just that I really don't like myself all that much and I really WANT to change to be like my most admired friends? Probably.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by AidanK
Thank you for your replies. They make me feel a bit more normal.
I'll see how this plays out but I really dream about this conversion often. Could this be just that I really don't like myself all that much and I really WANT to change to be like my most admired friends? Probably.

I would think maybe not... or not necessarily. It would be more important to know if you feel it's true. Only you know how much you like yourself... even if you have to think real hard about it.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by AidanK

so if i hear u correctly, you are starting to act and think like your friends...

i remember i felt this happening to me in middle school, because i was so young and ignorant and didnt really have my own prespective of the world, just sort of a combination of everyone else's

now that im 18 and infinatly wise, i know im thinking about completely different things than my friends (most of them) and i dont act like them becuase they're retarded

that all i got for ya

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

agreed.

new topics

top topics

join