It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gallup Poll: Large majority of Americans see religious influence in decline

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Interesting...

Would like to get ATSers takes on this.

First and foremost, would you agree, or disagree with the accuracy of this poll, on a widespread scale?

If agreed, what are your feelings and / or reasons behind the distancing and exodus of the populace towards organized religious institutions?

My personal opinion ( and I emphasize OPINION here), is that many people are becoming aware of the divisiveness often propegated between varying factions of these institutions, and are tiring of this.

I also feel that as an 'awakening' occurs within the human race on a spiritual level, many begin to realize that they are being limited by these organizations in finding their OWN answers, and so begin to become more self-sufficient and seeking knowledge independently, rather than relying on religious leaders to feed them tidbits of information.

But again, this is just my own personal take...

Let's hear yours, please...

Church membership tied for all-time low.

Most Americans feel that the influence of religion is waning in the US, according to a recent poll.

The Gallup organization found that seven in ten Americans think religion is losing influence, one of the highest responses in the 53-year history of the poll.

The survey found that only 25 percent of Americans believe that religion is gaining influence, while an additional two percent see it as unchanged.

Full Story:

www.rawstory.com...

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Good news everyone!

Yes, religion is on a steep decline actually. People are favoring a personal connection and understanding verses the old way of doing things. Its about time also. Hopefully religious institutions will eventually become so unpopular that they lose their tax exempt status (a scam in itself) and overall power structure.

In place however, there is a void that needs to be filled for caring centers and other such things...non-denominational gatherings of people that simply want to better society, help out the poor and needy, and not be such jacktards about rules and regulations.

Religion shoots itself in the foot with a demand for creationism in the face of science, the demand that the earth is a unique planet where God came -here- specifically and exclusively while ignoring the 18 sextillion other star systems in the universe, etc...it is absurdity that has gone on for far too long.

Time to move into a better more "spiritually awakened" mindset by casting off the iron shackles of structured corporate religions.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I don't really see the decline in religious belief concerning the areas of there being a God, supreme being or force but rather I am noticing a complete disregard in the people around me for the notions of heaven and hell and your actions determine where you end up. Sermons of fire and brimstone are exciting but in reality they hold no place in my reality.

I think technology is what's causing the dropping numbers in churches because the younger generation don't find that going to church is relevant. I've only known going to church as a means for my parents to keep in touch with other people they wouldn't be able to see at any other time during the week. This is less significant for the younger generation due to the rise in social networking sites like Facebook and texting capabilities.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
The amount of people who disbelieve in a deity grew by 78% over the past 10 years according to Gallup...while the numbers who believe in deities declined significantly. Looks like people are finally starting to wake up and revolt against this means to control the masses...and having science show up the blunders of religious doctrine helps too.

It's about time, we live in the 21st century for crying out loud!!

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
It's easy to believe in Christianity when we are forced to work in the fields and are brought up to respect your parents and naturally you believe what they tell you. But when society starts becoming more industrialized and people get to sit down and think about things for a bit and can access nearly any type of information they want with a computer, it's no shock that beliefs are becoming much more individualistic. It's hard to believe in a God that doesn't give you everything you want/need and expects you to love and help everyone else...especially when everyone looks at it through their own center of the universe perspective.

Sadly thought it doesn't matter what religion/belief system you have in place. Everyone's goal on this earth is fulfillment and happiness, whether they know it or not. And no matter what set of beliefs your subscribe to, the only way your going to be able to achieve those feelings is through:
1. Eliminating anything that threatens your safety (enemies or even our own way of thinking)
2. To nourish our family (whether it's your child, or everyone on earth, you have to pleasure others)
3. To protect our family (to advance your gene pool)

And that's the basis of every religion and way of life. It's too bad Christianity gets such a bad rep for trying to propel humanity into a blissful ignorance. I mean I love science, I just started preparing for my MCAT, but science is doing nothing as far as unifying our society.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

Church membership tied for all-time low.

Most Americans feel that the influence of religion is waning in the US, according to a recent poll.

The Gallup organization found that seven in ten Americans think religion is losing influence, one of the highest responses in the 53-year history of the poll.

The survey found that only 25 percent of Americans believe that religion is gaining influence, while an additional two percent see it as unchanged.

Full Story:

www.rawstory.com...

If I were to sit with a room full of Evangelicals, and were to ask whether they felt that religion was losing influence in this society, I think that 100% of them would say "Yes". In their view, religion has been losing influence since Jesus stopped reappearing to folks in the 1st century. Whereas someone like me - a non-religionist - believes that religion is gaining influence in this nation, which (by the way) bothers me to no end.

Polls can be interpreted many different ways. This part of the article seems to back me up...

The polling organization found at least one stable trend in its religious survey. For the past thirty years, a majority of Americans have said that religion is "very important" in their lives.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Bad news. Apostasy will lead to the great tribulation.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

You silly, Christ-like consciousness isn't an imposition on the mind and represents the natural state of the human being, spiritually, as intended and created in the fullness of cosmic evolution, you're assuming and misinterpretating, again, regarding this Earth-exclusive view, that's a misreading of the frame of reference, and I'm sure that "God" goes by many names in many tongues in many many places..., and perhaps atheists pay God more lip service than anyone, anywhere..!

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 03:35 AM
link   
From the amount of christian / church rhetoric that see here at ats and what remember of things back stateside.. Have to disagree with that poll.. Surely they jest.. Look at the neonazis erm neocons in america and their modern day crusade disguised as the "war on terror", the illegal / immoral invasions of afghanistan.. Condemning any who arent christian in amerika and around the world.. I dont buy the results of that poll one bit..

new topics

top topics

join