It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need some help

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Ok computer genius people, I have an issue with facebook, and I was just wondering if anyone could help. For some reason, everytime I try to go to the front page, it doesnt load. It will sit there for 5 minutes trying to connect, and then it does nothing, just times out? Everything else is working fine. I also just checked my Notebook, where Im running a different OS, but that also wont load facebook?

Is there any way to rectify this or is facebook being its usual temperamental self? Everybody I ve asked seems to be able to log on, just not me

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Oz: Clear your entire browsing history and cookies - then try again.

~Heff

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Try clearing your cache.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
Ok computer genius people, I have an issue with facebook, and I was just wondering if anyone could help. For some reason, everytime I try to go to the front page, it doesnt load. It will sit there for 5 minutes trying to connect, and then it does nothing, just times out? Everything else is working fine. I also just checked my Notebook, where Im running a different OS, but that also wont load facebook?

Is there any way to rectify this or is facebook being its usual temperamental self? Everybody I ve asked seems to be able to log on, just not me

I have no idea to be honest if it's normal or not, but I cannot get to the main front page at www.facebook.com... - yet using Is It Down it instantly returns that it is up and accessable.

Might be an Australian ISP thing - are the people who can log in that you know, in Aus or OS ?

It's been now sitting there for over 4 mins and not timed out yet, but definitely not loading for me.

Interestingly. a tracert to www.facebook.com completes with no blockages - just bad latency.

interesting... got me stumped.

EDIT-

I doubt cleaning the cache would resolve it (I'll eat my tinfoil hat tho if it does) as he tried it on 2 machines, and I also cannot access the site.

EVEN MORE INTERESTING. I just use a tor client and it connected instantly. My FireFox is still spinning it's dots.

Weird.

edit on 29/12/2010 by badw0lf because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Ok guys done, but nothing changed

Its still not loading. I also rebooted both my laptops, turned off my xbox live and reset the router, but to no avail.

Any other ideas?

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

Yeah badwolf, i use that site too!!!

It also said it was working fine...maybe the Australian servers are having issues?

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
This happened to me once and I had to reinstall Firefox, and it worked. Don't know why, but it did work.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
any other problems? or just facebook?

well why care than?
just wait...websites have trouble sometimes...

im more confused about how people allways gettin nervoes when facebook didnt work S:

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   
use your xbox live to hit up facebook.... not that i condone using facebook

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   

reply to post by badw0lf

Yeah badwolf, i use that site too!!!

It also said it was working fine...maybe the Australian servers are having issues?

It appears so, but it's not a dns issue as it traced fine to 66.220.146.11, it does seem that the facebook servers are just not handling AU traffic.

Hrmm I just went to 69.63.189.16... and it connected..

www-11-01-ash2.facebook.com [69.63.189.16]

if something funny is going on, I'd definitely not log in till you know it's safe to..

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by angrydog
any other problems? or just facebook?

well why care than?
just wait...websites have trouble sometimes...

im more confused about how people allways gettin nervoes when facebook didnt work S:

Just facebook

Im not worried, Im just trying to organise some NYE things, and facebook is the only way I can do it..plus heff promised me some pics of himself with his shirt off.

Oh, Im not one of those nuts that think WW3 is happening because facebook is down either...Im a skeptic if you have ever seen my posts, lol.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

Hey, it worked for me too

Why shouldnt we log in though?

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I tried logging in with that IP address, but my computer recommended I not proceed any further, so I decided against it....hope its back up soon

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I can't access FB either. I wonder if someone is doing a DDoS attack or something, hmmm must be that damm anonymous lol.

Also having problems with videos.altium.com... for the last few days. I can reach it alright (unlike FB) but comes up with an xml error in IE and Firefox, however it loads up in safari on the ipod except that's no good cause it needs flash to view videos which the ipod doesn't have..

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I only am on Facebook 20 minutes a year..and I want those back...

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   

reply to post by badw0lf

Hey, it worked for me too

Why shouldnt we log in though?

Oh I'm only thinking worst case scenario - I wouldn't personally trust an IP as the valid website despite that it is an IP owned by facebook.

Actually, I just tried using my dummy account and it appears its got problems with certificates too, which makes sense..

I'm still confused why it's only AU traffic (that we know of) that is having problems..

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   

I tried logging in with that IP address, but my computer recommended I not proceed any further, so I decided against it....hope its back up soon

Same. The reason would be that the certificate is issued to a website, not an IP. it cant verify that the IP is the valid owner.

I ignored it with my dummy accnt but then cookies were telling me they were disabled. lol, they're not.

I wonder what's really going on there... Might wanna email people for NYE.

I'm lucky in that regard, everythings all organised.. whew!

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by elucidate
I only am on Facebook 20 minutes a year..and I want those back...

Thanks for contributing

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Aaaaaaand it's back

they had a webfart I guess

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I've noticed "funny stuff" going on with facebook several times and I'm over here in the US. However, one of the main problems I've had is with Firefox - Firefox likes to auto update itself, which normally is a good thing. But, as it turns out, there were several memory leaks in a few of their updates which quickly became obvious while trying to use the chat feature coded into Facebook - turns out the memory leaks were caused by poor coding of facebook / firefox - and how they were using Java.

I also had several similar problems using Mozilla's Thunderbird (their version of M$ Outlook, which is a program for reading / writing e-mails for those of you who don't know) in that it wasn't connecting to e-mail servers properly. Turns out one of the problems I had was because of an old e-mail account I loaded up into Thunderbird that had thousands of old spam e-mails still floating around in it.. it took me forever to go through and delete all of them - but I finally did and got it working :T

top topics

join