It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion is a Conjuring Trick

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by awake_and_aware

What is up with all the video posting? (not just talking about you awake)

Do people feel they havent explored the point well enough to make it themselves?

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by sinohptik

Some people feel that the some of arguments have already been defeated, why waste time when we have to benefits of instant sharing of knowledge and ideas? Sometimes it's easier to let the professionals explain rather than pollute the meaning behind the argument, especially with my jibbering

Also, i only just taught myself the tags for the embedded videos, so i guess i'm just enjoying it xD

Anyone is free to discuss/criticise the videos.

Peace
edit on 31/12/10 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   

I would much rather discuss your ideas on the matter.

Your conceptualization of others concepts is of zero interest to me.

Just a thought

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by sinohptik

I'm interested to discuss your ideas on the matter, to be quite frank.

Are you an agnostic? What do you believe? Do you believe in a supernatural dictatorship? Do you believe in intelligent design? Do you believe that man can know of the desires of a supernatural dictator?

I literally don't know what you believe. and i'm interested.

A&A

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   

See here is the problem with Hitchins... he comes at it like a boy raised in a catholic school. I have a good friend of mine who was raised catholic, and can't stand the sound of the word "god". Because with him, it always refers to this perverted pagan god of the hebrews which was foisted upon him at a young age.

So hitchins, for whatever reason, has a bit of an axe to grind here much like my friend.

The comedy of it is, that when your refrigerator becomes so old and requires so much hackery on the part of it's user to yield any value, you don't give up on refrigerators... you find a new one.

Honestly, I can't believe Hitchins would stoop to such a low level as to debate christian theology based upon his limited knowledge of it and the role of God within social groups or individual consciousness.

The problem is that so many come from the perspective of being ruined by an old refrigerator which makes no sense today, that they are ready to go on a live food diet only and give up preservation techniques altogether.

First, discover... don't just assume, but research & discover why so many different cultures envisioned deities. What is it about tribal existence which causes this to emerge in the majority of scenarios?

You will find that there are psychological needs of individuals and groups, beyond simple physiological needs. And that these concepts of deities did not simply represent the unknown powers of the universe, but also authority, order, and identity. Role models of sorts.

Now let's remove the tradition of superstition and replace it with the tradition of the scientific method. Well that clears a lot of stuff up, like "Where do diseases come from".

But what it doesn't do is provide replacements for an individual or groups sense of "Authority, order or identity".

Now admittedly, for the geeks like myself studying science is it's own identity... but a tribe is made of more aspects of human personalities than simply geeks. How can science afford a sense of identity to the mother. And won't the mother of many children be inclined to view all of her world through the lense of being a mother? Wouldn't she identify with some maternal deity? Especially in times of trial, this may bring great inspiration and solace, however "inaccurate" it may be.

See all of this is what folks like Bill Maher, and Hitchins, and Dawkins overlook.

And this is just the tip of the iceberg... all manner of psychic orientations and stances are chronicled in many of the worlds religious writings...

For example, The Dalai Lamas Secret Temple. There are paintings on the walls, and at some point the writing ceases, and only pictures communicate the rest.

The 59 Capellas leading up to the Sistine all represent different emotional states of man...

In many situations, religions of the world carry with them the poetry of the heart & mind.

This and much more is missed by folks like these...

edit on 31-12-2010 by HunkaHunka because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

You clearly have not heard or read Hitchen's vast knowledge of doctrine, theology and philosophy of religion. He's debated many Theocrats/Priests and still shown his compassion and admiration of moral philosophy and logical ethical teaching whilst rebutting the arguments of his opponents. He truly wants to emancipate people from metaphysical claims and raise the intelligence of his fellow species.

This is the misconception that comes with Atheism, that people think Atheists or non-believers have little knowledge of the history and the theories of Religion. This is not the case. Although i find the moral teachings and philosophy of some religion to be admirable i don't appreciate that it is inferred through the metaphysical means. Religion doesn't have a monopoly over morality or philosophy.

I really don't know what problem you have with my position or Christopher Hitchens.

Thanks for the link, i've had a look and i am intrigued and interested in the history of religion; eager to learn more and more but i remain sceptical regarding the metaphysical claims each invidivual religion makes regarding afterlife or supernatural Deities.

I admire some of the philosophy and teachings of Bhuddism, but philosophy and teachings can come without the label of a religion. Don't you understand my point now? I don't want to appear arrogant but there is evidence that religion causes separation and prejudice in many cases and it's normally because the followers truly believe in the "TRUTH" that their religion claims about their God and his "laws"

Listen to his arguments, and tell me you still believe he is uneducated in regards to religion or philosophy.

I admit it's a silly title for the video but the arguments still stand true.
edit on 31/12/10 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by awake_and_aware

You clearly have not heard or read Hitchen's vast knowledge of doctrine, theology and philosophy of religion. He's debated many Theocrats/Priests and still shown his compassion and admiration of moral philosophy and logical ethical teaching whilst rebutting the arguments of his opponents. He truly wants to emancipate people from metaphysical claims and raise the intelligence of his fellow species.

Let me say this again... I'm talking about things beyond the moral or ethical codes of religion. I'm talking about mental and emotional states of man.

This is the misconception that comes with Atheism, that people think Atheists or non-believers have little knowledge of the history and the theories of Religion. This is not the case. Although i find the moral teachings and philosophy of some religion to be admirable i don't appreciate that it is inferred through the metaphysical means. Religion doesn't have a monopoly over morality or philosophy.

Ok so let me put it this way... the moral aspects of religion mean zero to me. I'm not talking about those. That is the least of what I find valuable in religions of the world.

I really don't know what problem you have with my position or Christopher Hitchens.

What I have a problem with is that you seem to refuse to acknowledge the emotional and mental states of man which have existed for centuries and have been cataloged in religious texts and traditions.

My issue with Hitchens is the same. He consistently focuses on the Christian assumption of authority.

I've never seem him break down what the the gospels are symbolic of really. Because the Gospels simply outline the difference between the outer world and the inner world and reclaiming the authority over one's own life.

My other issue with Hitches is his lack of understanding of the human mind.

And yes... the man is extremely blind to so many aspects of what religion encapsulates and where it comes from.

By the way.... HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!
edit on 31-12-2010 by HunkaHunka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Happy new year.

A&A

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join