It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New UK Swine flu epidemic fear as hospital admissions soar by 250 per cent in a week

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   
I am currently getting over the Flu at the moment, not sure what Flu it is though. My brother, who lives in a different town, and i havent seen him yet has the exact same symptoms as i do and got the Flu on the same day as i did. There are so many people on Facebook etc that have it. My Christmas Day was a blur, i slept all of Boxing day. My symptoms were...

High Fever
Severe Chills
Sensitive Skin To Touch
Very Sore Chest When Coughing
Cant Take A Deep Breath
Very Off Balance
Sore Eyes When I Move Them
Very Disgusting Taste In Mouth
Exteme Tiredness

I have never felt as ill as i have over the past 4 days, i seem to be improving, although the Chills i had were seriously bad. My brothers symptoms were exactly the same as mine, which i found rather odd. I'm now worried that my son (18months) and partner will get what i have had. I dont know if it was Swine Flu or Just Normal Flu but it is horrendous.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

Sounds nasty, get well soon. Flu always seems to hit when you take a break ( like Christmas) its as though the minute you start to relax BAM you go down with flu. Sods law I guess.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   
there is evidence to suggest cannibis may inbfact be useful in combatting swine flu.

Cannabis could alleviate many of the symptoms and harmful effects of the H5N1 bird flu and H1N1 swine flu viruses, according to a report from Cannabis Science, an emerging pharmaceutical cannabis company based in San Francisco. The timing could not be better for New York, which has the largest number of confirmed cases of swine flu in the United States, and where identical medical marijuana bills have been introduced in the Assembly and Senate for the first time.

www.examiner.com...

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 04:36 AM
link   
From the Daily Express this morning ..www.express.co.uk...

SWINE FLU COULD ‘KILL HUNDREDS OF UK CHILDREN’

Read more: www.express.co.uk... FLU epidemic could claim hundreds of young lives this winter, an expert has warned.

Nine of the 27 flu fatalities this year have been children and the figures are set to rise, influenza expert Professor John Oxford has predicted.

Figures show that in the run-up to Christmas the infection rate among those aged five to 14 rose from 58 to 160 per 100,000 people – close to the epidemic threshold of 200 per 100,000.

Professor Oxford, of Bart’s and the Royal London Hospital, said that within a week rising infections in all age groups could bring the first flu ­epidemic since 2000, when thousands of elderly people died.

This time, he warned, many of the victims are likely to be children, who are particularly vulnerable to swine flu, the most dominant strain of the virus.

Prof Oxford said: “The infection rates in the five to 14-year-old age group have almost reached epidemic levels already, and I think they will go up.

“If the trend continues I would not be surprised if we get to epidemic levels within one week. The over-60 age group has got immunity because they have probably seen this virus before.

Read more: www.express.co.uk...[/e x]

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

Also found this ...Children going back to school will trigger major flu epidemic www.telegraph.co.uk...

Children going back to school will trigger major flu epidemic
The decision to cancel the flu vaccination programme for the under-fives risks starting the first epidemic for a decade when schools return next week.
Doctors believe that infection levels are likely to rise dramatically over the next few weeks.

Andrew Lansley, the Health Secretary, was yesterday accused of “serious misjudgment” for cancelling the under-fives programme.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 05:23 AM
link   
New from the Daiy Mail today "Swine flu: The 'perfect storm' as flu victims soar, winter vomiting bug spreads, more elderly fall ill... so how will hospitals cope?

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... 9UyV1jZz"

By Jenny Hope and Sophie Borland
Last updated at 9:24 AM on 29th December 2010

* Comments (56)
* Add to My Stories

As GP practices open for the first time after the extended bank holiday weekend, demand for swine flu vaccine is expected to soar

As GP practices open for the first time after the extended bank holiday weekend, demand for swine flu vaccine is expected to soar

A ‘perfect storm’ of winter illness will batter Britain’s health services today.

Hospitals will be pushed to breaking point by a post-Christmas deluge of patients suffering from flu and the winter vomiting bug.

Accident and emergency departments are bracing themselves for a surge of referrals as GP practices open for the first time after the extended bank holiday weekend.

They are also expecting high numbers of elderly patients to be brought in as they are visited by care workers for the first time in four days.

Soaring levels of both seasonal and swine flu will heap extra strain on hospitals already dealing with cases of the sickness bug norovirus, which usually peak at this time of year.

It is feared many potentially seriously ill patients will have waited until after the four-day weekend to see their doctor, pushing services to the limit.

The swine flu outbreak sparked a furious war of words last night as Health Minister Simon Burns accused Labour of exploiting the virus for political ends.

He rejected claims by Shadow Health Secretary John Healey that the Government had ‘cancelled’ a flu jab plan for under-fives to save money.

Mr Burns insisted that ministers ruled out a blanket vaccination programme for youngsters on medical grounds.

But as the virus continued to sweep the country yesterday, an expert warned that Britain is on the ‘cusp’ of an epidemic.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... 9UyzcD00

Also

A PREGNANT mum of four is fighting for life in a medically induced coma after contracting swine flu.
www.thesun.co.uk...

Gemma Escott, 27, is on life support with her kidneys failing after husband Martyn took her to hospital on Christmas Day when she could not breathe properly.

Doctors have now diagnosed six-months pregnant Gemma with swine flu and pneumonia.

Martyn, 33, of Evercreech, Somerset, is keeping a constant vigil as doctors at Yeovil District Hospital are battling to save her life

edit on 29-12-2010 by tarifa37 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by tarifa37

Originally posted by KatieVA
There's absolutely nooooooo way they're giving my little one the swine flu vaccination, they can pin me down and beat me with sticks for all I care.

As a parent I share your concern over this vaccine although if your child heaven forbid was taken ill there is a point where you will do anything for them. And that was where we found ourselves last year with my daughter who was sent home early from school because she had suddenly become unwell ( although I think the school was in a swine flu tizzy at the time). We got her home and my wife phoned a doctor who over the phone diagnosed her 100% with having swine flu.This was before the automated phone line had been set up. She did have an upset stomach which seems to be one of the symptoms that points towards swine flu. Anyway he prescribed tamiflu and It seemed to work because she was a lot better by the next day. I was very concerned about her taking the tamiflu however until you are in a position with a sick child that is getting worse by the minute you won't really know how you will react.

Hrmm, not to be mean or anything but I hardly think a phone diagnosis is really the way to go. She may of had the regular flu. Tamiflu is actually fine though, my husband and I looked up the ingredients and it seemed okay when my son took it. My son had the flu, the doctors could not confirm it was swine flu at all, they said he just has the flu, ie regular flu. They too were going to diagnose my son over the phone, and I put my foot down and said nope, if you're going to try and diagnose my son at least see him. They agreed, we went there and they said he really needs a shot, blah, blah! I said nope we never had the flu shot and we never really get the flu, which is true. I personally haven't had the flu in 5 years, I am hardly sick during th year anyway. I get colds but that is it.

So they said he could take Tamiflu, and my doctor gave me a long speech, about how we need to really get the flu shot. I was like yeah, yeah. I asked him several times if there would be any side effects, nope he said, and he said again I cannot confirm it to be swine flu. So basically my son got Tamiflu for no reason, we did give it to him and he went on his way.

The one thing that really pisses me off is how they try and brain wash our children at school, with this flu crap. My daughter insisted that we were crazy because we won't let her get the flu shot. We told her the dangers of getting the flu shot, and said we were not going to do it. I told her she never had the flu shot before, which is true, and she has gotten the flu a couple of times. That's it! Anyway I am babbling.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
BBC News - 2 hours ago GP's advice on flu jabs and treatment: www.bbc.co.uk...

Flu cases have risen again in England and Wales, according to figures from GPs.

Levels of flu - including H1N1 swine flu - have gone up by almost 50% in the past week, says the Royal College of GPs.

The flu tally reached 124 per 100,000 people in the week to Christmas, up from 86 cases in the previous week.

GP Dr Alan Maguire spoke to the BBC's Fiona Trott to give some practical advice about vaccinations and what to do if you should fall ill

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
It seems to be getting worse.

Flu deaths continue to rise

Number of victims of this year's outbreak up to 39 from 27 last week, forcing government to adopt new preventative measures
www.guardian.co.uk...

The government has been forced to take new steps to tackle seasonal flu after new figures showed there were 12 more deaths in the past week, and 738 people seriously ill in hospital.

The total number of deaths from this winter's outbreak now stands at 39, up from 27 last week, the Health Protection Agency confirmed.

Of those, 36 died from H1N1 swine flu, which is the most virulent of the two main flu strains circulating this winter. The other three died from Influenza B. All but one of the 39 was under 65, and four were under five years old.

The number of people with known or suspected flu being treated in critical care units in hospitals has jumped from 460 to 738 - a rise of 278 in a week.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Here is the bottom line: England, Ireland, and Scotland need more public restrooms with
antibacterial soap available for public use. When I was over ther three times in the last seven years,
there was a serious lack of public restrooms. This contributes to more dangerous germs circulating.
Buy Bath and Body's antibacterial hand santizers and hand lotions with anti bacterial properties.
Get wet wipes to wipe kids hands with, put into car and handbags. Install more electric doors for public places,
so people don't have to touch the doors. Drink less alcohol, less pub, having more immune system.
Take vitamins, leave jar on kitchen counter so everyone remembers. Drink more orange juice. Wash clothes
frequently and bathe/ shower daily before bed. Good Luck!

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by frugal

I am already doing all you say and them some. Fruit everyday strawberries blueberries raspberries , with a Probiotic Yogurt also fist full of almonds and walnuts with some raisins. Plus a blueberry and cranberry juice to wash down 3 high strength cod liver oil capsules. Couple that with a good balanced diet ( although crisps are a temptation) and I very rarely get ill. Even when the rest of my family get struck down I usually dodge it or at least get it very mild. Avoiding the pub is a step too far. Anyway there is plenty of evidence that a drink in moderation has more benefits than being t total.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Front page the Daily Express today. www.express.co.uk...

FLU CRISIS AS DEATH TOLL SOARS

BRITAIN is in the grip of a dangerous flu outbreak with more than 700 patients seriously ill in hospital.

The death toll has risen to 39 and the number in critical care has soared by 60 per cent in a week – and is now higher than at the peak of the original swine flu epidemic.

The size of the outbreak yesterday forced the Government into an embarrassing U-turn over its decision not to run a national flu awareness campaign. And experts were asked to look again at whether the right ­people are getting the flu jab after an earlier decision not to vaccinate the under-fives. Figures released yesterday show that 42 children under five are now in critical care and this age group is also most likely to succumb to flu viruses.

Overall, one critical care bed in five in Britain’s hospitals is now taken up with flu patients, up from one in seven the previous week.

Read more: www.express.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
This comment for this BBC article www.bbc.co.uk...

Keeping a sense of proportion about swine flu

Fergus Walsh | 14:14 UK time, Friday, 31 December 2010
was posted in the last couple of hours and to me rings alarm bells.

3. At 3:28pm on 31 Dec 2010, kd0983 wrote:

Good article, although as an Intensive Care Nurse, I think the swine flu epidemic of last year was blown out of propotion, we had no Intensive care patients with H1N1 that did not have serious underlying health conditions (or were pregnant) where I work. This year however the ICU in which I work is under unpresedented strain because of H1N1, and we have many patients who are young (under the age of 45) and have no previous medical problems who are critically ill with suspected or confirmed H1N1. I cant help thinking that the governments lack of interest, lack of media coverage and lack of adverts promoting hygeine and the flu jab my be partially to blame.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Cases in Ireland on the rise.www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk...

Massive rise in Northern Ireland swine flu cases

Flu cases in Northern Ireland have jumped dramatically in the past week, with cases of swine flu up by almost 200%.

Out-of-hours services experienced a massive 114% increase in flu-related calls during the week ending on Boxing Day.

The number of swine flu cases increased from 45 in the previous week to 129, a jump of 186%, and there were 17 influenza B detections, compared to only three in the previous week. The majority of these detections were in the under 65 age group. Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) weekly detection increased by 29%, with 22 cases diagnosed last week in Northern Ireland.

Read more: www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk...[/e x]
edit on 1-1-2011 by tarifa37 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Sorry to keep posting this news, however I think it is interesting and useful to track the progress of this flu bug that seems to be hitting Britain far worse than anywhere else. Are we sleepwalking into a pandemic? www.telegraph.co.uk...

[Swine flu spreading faster in Britain than rest of Europe

Swine flu has spread more rapidly in Britain than in the rest of Europe, the World Health Organization has revealed, as the Government faces growing criticism over the country's preparations for an epidemic.Experts have warned that the surge in flu cases in Britain has still not yet peaked and say the number of cases will continue to rise rapidly over the next two to four weeks.

Figures released by the WHO show the rate of influenza-like illnesses is still low across continental Europe but has risen dramatically in Britain since the flu season began in October. The majority are swine flu cases.

There are currently 738 patients now receiving intensive care treatment for flu in the UK and at least 17 have required life support because their heart and lungs have failed.

edit on 2-1-2011 by tarifa37 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

I think what needs to be considered is that we have one of the lowest uptakes of the combined H1N1/Seasonal flu vaccine.. even the at risk groups only hit a vaccine uptake of 40%..

I guess by the end of next week when the little super infectors go back to school we'll see a ramping up of the virus spread..tho even then most people (I know) won't opt for the vaccine..

Will it turn into something more deadly? I really don't know.. I guess we have to wait and see..

BTW, thanks for the updates.. I watch your thread grow while (sorry to say this) hoping it won't grow much more.
edit on 2/1/11 by thoughtsfull because: rubbish

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
From what I gather this particular outbreak isnt any higher than the authorities expected it to be. As for the uptake of the jab even my partner (who is a nurse) refused it due to the long term effect not being known.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Swine Flu has just killed a fit and healthy 26 year old woman, my sincere condolences to her family. Utterly tragic and scary. I don't think normal flu kills healthy young people.

Swine flu kills animal trainer on Harry Potter films

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

An animal trainer who worked on the Harry Potter films has become the latest swine flu victim.

Caroline Lois Benoist, 26, died on the Christmas weekend, only days after being sent home from her job at a film studio when she complained of feeling unwell

Writing to friends on her Facebook page on December 17, her final posting read: ‘Loving being back home even if I do feel like death warmed up!’. She died just over a week later.

From the home they shared in Hemel Hempstead her French boyfriend Guillaume Grange confirmed that doctors believe ‘fit and healthy’ Miss Benoist was a victim of swine flu. ‘She was sent home from work feeling unwell. She died last weekend. I am finding it all very difficult,’ he said.

‘She was a lovely, fit healthy girl. She had no health problems. There was nothing wrong with her.’

Posting on Facebook, he wrote: ‘Thank you everybody for all this support. This [sic] messages warm up my heart. Goodbye Caroline, I will love you for ever!!!!’.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by benintheuk
From what I gather this particular outbreak isnt any higher than the authorities expected it to be. As for the uptake of the jab even my partner (who is a nurse) refused it due to the long term effect not being known.

Isn't the swine flu vaccination being incorporated in with the seasonal flu jab this year ? Millions get that every year with no problems, Why would the swine flu part be any different. At the end of the day its just another strain of flu that they have found a vaccination for. They do that every year for the main strains of flu. They are not tested long term either ( as far as I know). I wonder if people are being over cautious with the flu jab. It could be a live saver for vulnerable people. Its a horrible decision to have to make. Could be life or death for some poor people.
edit on 3-1-2011 by tarifa37 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   
I think they are embelishing on the amounts of people this is affecting just to get the people to take the vaccines. Just like others before me in this thread. The FLU Vaccine Does Not Work!!

Last year when H1N1 was affecting Britain the Scottish Government was told by the NWO controlled English government to add the number of victims of the normal flu to the swine flu totals thus jumping up the H1N1 totals to scare the people to take the toxic vaccines. Looks like the same sh*t is happening again.

See this article

What these vaccine advocates absolutely will not admit, however, is how many of those who are sick with the flu this year also got vaccinated last year. This little detail is left out of every mainstream media report on vaccines and the flu. They simply refuse to mention this all-important number, leaving readers to leap to the incorrect conclusion that only those who were not vaccinated get sick with the flu.

Such statistics are never made available to the public or the press, of course. To release such statistics would expose the Great Lie of the vaccine industry: That flu vaccines simply don't work on 99 percent of people!

Naturalnews

In fact, the people who are most susceptible to catching the flu are precisely the very same people who get vaccinated. Why is that? Because vaccines weaken the immune system in the long run, leaving you more vulnerable to future infections. They deny your immune system the opportunity to practice its own adaptive response to invading microorganisms or viruses, thereby causing your immune system to atrophy in the same way that a wheelchair-bound person will experience leg muscle atrophy.

I say NO to the poisonous vaccines. Take Vitamin C, D, Zinc, Honey and Cinnamin drinks, Apple Cyder Vinegar, Garlic etc. They will work against Flu. The Vaccine will not!!

But remember get your vitamins etc soon. Because as soon as our murderous governments implement 'Codex Alimentarius' viamins, minerals and natures best remedies will be deemed ILLEGAL!!!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join