It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Say Goodbye to Driver Anonymity.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Came across this article on another site and had to share it with you all.

A new app that lets frustrated drivers vent their anger at boneheaded motorists already has branded your bumper with a “How’s My Driving” sticker, and it could raise your insurance premium. It’s like having thousands of unmarked police cars and speed cameras on every roadway, and it could spell the end of anonymity behind the wheel.

DriveMeCrazy, developed by Shazam co-founder Philip Inghelbrecht, is a voice-activated app that encourages drivers to report bad behavior by reciting the offender’s license plate into a smartphone. The poor sap gets “flagged” and receives a virtual “ticket,” which may not sound like much until you realize all the information — along with date, time and location of the “offense” — is sent to the DMV and insurance companies.

m.wired.com...

So now what? We cant even drive our cars without being identified?

This doesnt make sense at all. Why would you advocate usage of a cell phone and it's applications while driving, to flag "Unsafe Driving?"

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Won't last. Too many people with vendettas against others will just report constantly and make the system a failure. Hell some people are just angry all the time and will report everyone driving like morons.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
You are already identified when you get a license, when you register your car, when you get behind the wheel.
I feel like I say this every day on this site but....

DRIVING IS A PRIVILEGE, NOT A RIGHT. Hows about you dont drive like an a-hole,and it wont be an issue?

I can call in the license plate number of anyone I want driving poorly, and they are immediately identified by that number. This is no different.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by RicketyCricket

JFC...

This is real...

From their site:
drivemecrazy.mobi...

What does the DMV or police do with my flag?

We don't really know but we believe they call a special meeting to talk about you and your driving record. Seriously, we believe that once our user base grows, government agencies will pay more and more attention to our data. After all, even government lawyers use Google now to find information.

Is it safe to operate DriveMeCrazy while driving?

DriveMeCrazy was designed for hands-free use. In fact, flagging a vehicle requires less interaction than dialing a phone number. After reporting a vehicle by speaking in the license plate, you can enter all other details at a later time when you are not driving. In general we always recommend pulling over safely before interacting with your phone (even if your local laws allow for emails and text messages while driving).

I would think this app. will be taken down real soon...if not, anyone know a real good hacker that can ruin their day..? This is crap...

Thanks for the 411 OP...

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

I can call in the license plate number of anyone I want driving poorly, and they are immediately identified by that number. This is no different.

Right...but it's not anonymous. They know who just called them - hence, accountability.

This app. forwards the information without revealing who sent it in...you don't see a problem with that..?

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by facelift

Right...but it's not anonymous. They know who just called them - hence, accountability.

This app. forwards the information without revealing who sent it in...you don't see a problem with that..?

Ahhh, I missed that part. My bad, and yes I do have an issue with it, although I will say that when it comes to smart phones, nothing is anonymous.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   

I think you are missing the point behind this. We all know that we can call in and report a drunk or unsafe (allegedly) driver.

This is another tool that the drivers on the road can use (and abuse), taking their hands off the wheel, and eyes off the road. Nanny state?

edit on 22-12-2010 by RicketyCricket because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
This won't work-nor can I see how it's legal, because it's targeting and fining the "registration" as opposed to the person actually operating the vehicle.
To clarify- let's say I let my sister borrow my car, that's registered in my name, to run to the store.Someone reports the license plate, and then I get a fine even though I WASN'T the one operating the car at the time.
This will face massive lawsuits if it ever goes into effect....

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
By using this app you may indicate who owns the vehicle but how can you prove who is driving the vehicle? You can't, unless you stop the vehicle and identify the driver. Are we to become a society of RAT'S and STOOLPIGEON'S ? "Infragard","See something, say something" and other Soviet style programs designed at turning citizen against citizen. Not me brother! I'm no RAT bastard! How bout you?

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
What a scam. This was probably devised by the insurance companies to try to rip us off some more. I think it was Chris Rock that went on a tirade about those crooks. Something like "Insurance, paying money in case # happens, but if # don't happen you don't get your money back. And if # does happen, they just make you pay more money."
edit on Wed, 22 Dec 2010 18:05:41 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Another form of "see something suspicious? tell somebody" program.
I saw a terrorist in Walmart - they had a cart loaded with Pepsi and mentos.
You can make a bomb with those!

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
You are already identified when you get a license, when you register your car, when you get behind the wheel.

DRIVING IS A PRIVILEGE, NOT A RIGHT. Hows about you dont drive like an a-hole,and it wont be an issue?

the car I drive on a regular basis is registered to my wife...

so anytime I drive recklesly and someone calls in the licence plate, she is going to be the one to take the fall for this

this point alone is what will cause this system to fail... prove it was the lawful owner that was the one causing the infraction that was desrcibed in the report

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Will not stand up in court as its hearsay evidence by a untrained observer.

Plus my vehicles are registered in my company name and since i own the company i would be stupid to tell anyone who was driving.

nice try but useless.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
This is a natural extension of technofascism. It serves to condition a stasei state. The state has indicated that it cannot be responsible with the power it already has, so it is a step in the direction of hell.

The sooner a tankerful of sand is launched into orbit, the better. Those satellites must die.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by kalisdad

this point alone is what will cause this system to fail... prove it was the lawful owner that was the one causing the infraction that was desrcibed in the report

Or better yet - prove the infraction described in the app. report - actually happened!

I can see the Insurance companies eating this up, though.

edit on 22-12-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Nice try, Big Brother, but sadly this won't work too well. There's the issue of proof ( a great thing to remember if ever you get a ticket), the issue of "trained observers", the issue of hearsay, the issue private citizens vs. Law Enforcement (just wait til the "shoot a perp" app comes out, kids...) and best of all, the issue of ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MINDS???

Hee hee...yet another reason I am glad I do not poses an iPhone/Droid/HAL 9000.

Just my two cents.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by HUMBLEONE
By using this app you may indicate who owns the vehicle but how can you prove who is driving the vehicle? You can't, unless you stop the vehicle and identify the driver. Are we to become a society of RAT'S and STOOLPIGEON'S ? "Infragard","See something, say something" and other Soviet style programs designed at turning citizen against citizen. Not me brother! I'm no RAT bastard! How bout you?

Can I give you one billion stars?

No? Buddhahood?

Bless You, Humbleone

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

yes driving is a privilege and one that should only be afforded to those capable of driving. I have a suggestion for you why dont you get off the cell phone, and move your butt into the righthand lane out of the way instead of sitting in the the passing lane in the way of those of us who are concentrating on our driving trying to get around your weaving slow butt . more accidents are caused by people going to slow for traffic conditions than by those speeding.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Can see it now..
At an accident scene : motorist - that telephone pole jumped in front of my car while I was using this app on my phone..
Officer : breathe into the tube please..
Motorist : but the guy ahead of me was driving reckless..
Officer : stuns motorist with taser...
Yep brilliant idea distract people more while theyre driving..

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Chakotay

Yes you may, that would be most appreciated! Thank You! AND bless you as well!

Isn't it hard to watch so many people willingly give away their freedoms? It's painful to watch them believe the big lie, the scam's being perpetuated upon them at every turn. It's their choice. I guess we have to not concentrate on what WE don't want and concentrate on what we DO want. We can create our own reality and bring our own desire's into fruition. We can't control other peoples perceptions and desires. The most we can do is give them food for thought. Peace and love to you all.

<<   2 >>

join