It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Of course there's climate change. The big question should be Why?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Okay, there's no doubt that sea levels are rising, temperatures are rising, etc. Sorry to just bypass that argument but it's sort of besides the fact. The big question should be why is this happening? Is it happening because of pollution? Is it a natural cycle? Who knows? But the question should really be why.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
If you listen closely you might just hear the sound of a dead horse being flogged.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I would like to point out that it's not just our planet experiencing climate change. . . It is throughout our solar system. What ever is affecting the climate, it's massive enough to be affecting all the planets in our neighborhood. Clouds on Neptune?

*sigh* And yes, this is probably beating a dead horse into rigormortus but ... Nibiru anyone? Or maybe it's just solar flares. But after reading the Kolbrin bible and some choice Zacharia Sitchin (sp?), the little conspiracy theorist in me says it's Nibiru... I'm open to other opinions, of course.

Be well, all.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by mossme89
Is it happening because of pollution? Is it a natural cycle? Who knows? But the question should really be why.

This question is exactly what scientists study, but most people are unfortunately so horribly misinformed on this topic they seem to think it's impossible to answer other than by stating their "beliefs".

I've pointed this out numerous times on here but people never care or pay attention because they're too busy automatically posting their opinion on how they feel it's all just some natural cycle, and anyone who states otherwise is just "arrogant" apparently.

Man made global warming is a fact not a theory.

I'm not saying that because Al Gore told me so. I'm saying it because I have a degree in Math & Physics, and the basis for man made global warming is rooted in completely unambiguous, indisputable math & physics.

We know the greenhouse effect traps energy, we know CO2 is a significant greenhouse gas, and we know we are increasing it's concentration in the atmosphere.

And for those people that contend it can't have an effect because it's "only 0.0038% of the atmosphere" - this is totally wrong: 99% of the atmosphere isn't a greenhouse gas, so it has absolutely no place in this discussion to begin with. CO2 is the second most important GHG after water vapor, and it makes up for somewhere between 10-25% of the total greenhouse effect. Not to mention the amount of water vapor in the atmosphere itself is highly variable and depends largely on the amount of CO2.

Meanwhile the fact that climate change has always been natural in the past has absolutely NO bearing on whether it can or can't be man made now. This is another non sequitur and a total red-herring.

Besides, there is previous correlation between past climate changes and mass extinctions, and although temperatures have indeed been warmer in the past, the main concern now is much more centered on the rate of warming rather than the amount - and on that level what we're currently seeing is unprecedented.

So the fact that man-made emissions are contributing to some level of global warming is absolutely undeniable.

The only thing that is under debate is how much our climate will respond to this forcing and how fast.

And the longer everybody decides to stick their head in the sand on this issue and listen to blogs instead of scientists, the more likely it becomes we're all going to find out the hard way.

The climate is changing right before our eyes and people are continuing to ignore it because they'd rather swallow all the myths and memes being spoonfed to them by a calculating denial industry that says everything's just fine, so everybody just go back to sleep - keep consuming and contributing to a world that already has you completely enslaved, while you all congratulate each other on your non-existant delusional "freedoms".

Our generation is going to leave a legacy on this Earth as not only the most destructive that ever trampled it, but also the absolute blindest and dumbest as well.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by lunarcrystal
I would like to point out that it's not just our planet experiencing climate change. . . It is throughout our solar system.

This just another total myth, one that gets treated like it's fact simply because people recklessly repeat it without doing any actual research or fact-checking.

Thorough debunking here.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Thanks-- McSquared, You plainly see the facts. Me being 55 yr old, I have seen the big change already, and feel sorry for the people in their twenties who will really see shtf weather thats comming. rj

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by mc_squared

thank you mc_squared! very good post with a lot of details for the misinformed or interested to check out.
It is much appreciated!
I almost gave up to read any thread related to this topic because of all the hate, people behave almost as it is a relegion or something. unfortunatly on both "sides" but your post is special because you state the facts.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
itsawild1 & shr4n - thank you guys for actually caring and paying attention

It's true this topic does get way too bogged down in childish bickering, but that's mainly because nobody ever seems to listen to anyone - they pick and choose whatever it is they want to hear FIRST, and then just tune everything else out - facts and critical thinking be damned.

Incidentally I have waaaay more info where that came from, so anything you would like more clarification/sources on - feel free to ask

Here are some great general links that cover a LOT of ground:

The Discovery of Global Warming
Global Warming & Climate Change - Frequently Asked Questions
The complete guide to modern day climate change

And here you can find rebuttals to common skeptic arguments, as well as thorough debunkings on some of the flat out lies being injected into what has largely become nothing but a manufactured "debate":

Skeptic Arguments and What the Science Says
Climate change: A guide for the perplexed
Climate Denial Crock of the Week Youtube Channel

Also here is some background on the people who have been injecting most of those lies:

Climate change deniers
The Climate Killers
The Denial Machine
Koch Industries: Secretly Funding the Climate Denial Machine
Smoke, Mirrors & Hot Air: How ExxonMobil Uses Big Tobacco’s Tactics to Manufacture Uncertainty on Climate Science

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I like Georges thoughts on the matter.

top topics

join