It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Blair admits 'WMDs may never be found'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Blair admitted today that he has had "to accept we haven't found them and we may never find them". He continues, however, to say that there was "very clear evidence" of his desire to develop and use them.

news.bbc.co.uk
Mr Blair said he had "to accept we haven't found them and we may never find them" - but that did not mean Saddam Hussein had not been a threat.

He said the former Iraqi leader had been in breach of UN resolutions and his weapons may have been "removed, hidden or destroyed".

Mr Blair also said US security concerns had to be tackled before British detainees at Guantanamo Bay are freed.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is a relatively shocking incident, the prime minister has finally admitted that the WMDs may never be found. This will be a shocking revelation, especially with the elections coming up next year, the impact from this needs to be seen.
It's possible that Blair is just covering for himself and admitting his flaws, so next year he can say, for an election speech, "I made some mistakes, yes, no one is perfect, and most importantly, I admitted those mistakes, and I am moving to correct them."

Crucially, he has now admitted that the war was, essentially, illegal, and this could give Saddam Hussein some leverage, meaning that he is still the current President of Iraq, and as well as that, the 50+ British soldier deaths are now unjustified, unlike previously he has said to widows and parents.

[edit on 6-7-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Actually he's not admitting anythings illegal. President Bush went to war under the knowledge that Saddam HAD in his posession, WMDs. If the president thinks the country is in clear and present danger he has every right to go in and protect us. Blair saying we might never find WMD doesn't mean they were never there, it only means that something happened to the WMDs between then and now that ended up in their dissappearance.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 07:44 AM
link   
America was never under any direct threat from Saddam Hussein's WMDs, nor was it ever claimed, to my knowledge.
They went to war over WMDs, and now they have confessed they will probably never find them....
It's like...
Me stealing a toy off you because I claimed you stole it off me, and then saying it was never really mine in the first place..

It's basically as near to anything you'll get to an admittance that they performed this war illegally.

America was NEVER under threat of WMD attack.. Saddam's maximum range was only 1000 km if I remember correctly.... Basically no further than Turkey or so, I think.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Whoops!!

I'd already posted this here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Damn you....

hehe oh well =) all's good

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Damn you....

hehe oh well =) all's good

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 07:57 AM
link   
At least someone bothered to reply to yours anyway!!

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Yupyup
My editorial made it sound more dramatic

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by browha
America was never under any direct threat from Saddam Hussein's WMDs, nor was it ever claimed, to my knowledge.

What about all the troops that we had to put in the area to keep him under control. Our country may not have been under a direct threat, but there were citizens who were.

America was NEVER under threat of WMD attack.. Saddam's maximum range was only 1000 km if I remember correctly.... Basically no further than Turkey or so, I think.

Except for all the troops that were there. The citizens of the US were not a threat to him or his plans. The troops were another story.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 08:53 AM
link   
... Fair enough lol =)

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Just bumping this important little thread..=)

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Ironically.. Nuclear materials have just been found in Iraq.
They amount to 1.77 metric tons of enriched uranium apparently, which is enough to produce 118 Hiroshima sized bombs.
There has already been speculation linking this incident to the incident reported a few weeks ago of America smuggling in nuclear materials into Iraq.

new topics

top topics

join