It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gold Frankincense and Myrrh

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
This is something my pastor said recently and I want to see if you have the same sentiments.
The gold brought to Jesus is like saying he's royal
The frankincense stands for aroma of praise we give him.
The Myrrh is an odd choice. It's usually associated with death. So he said it made sense that it would mean to give our lives to Jesus.
Remember I just want to see if you have the same feelings about the symbolical reasons.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Camtheconspiracyman

They seem like the old equivelent of gifts you get when you don't know what to buy someone.

Gold... Agh I forgot to buy anything, lets just put some money in with the card
Frankincense... Equivalent of the kit of cheap shower gel, deodorant and aftershave that my aunt always gives me
Myrrh.... This is all they had left in the 24 hour garage when I stopped on the way over
edit on 19-12-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I dont know I think you actually care about the gift you give the king of the world.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   

which section of the bible is this in ? I admit I am not versed in the Bible very well but the parts I have read so far I am able now to make sense of. I will read it and give you my first impression though.

the Spirit comes and goes but I am learning how to hang on to it, it is such a revelation especially when you get it all at once, it is almost overwhelming.

The Bible is an excellent Book... I have never read anything quite like it when I come of age.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
New testament Matthews; how new are you to the bible?
It's great to have a new brother!!

edit on 19-12-2010 by Camtheconspiracyman because: idk

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   

quite new to the Book itself but God has always been with me, I have always had a conscience and it has saved me from alot and some of the roads my friends went down... I am your standard American born by definition a Christian I have hit the Bible up recently only the last few years when I decided to go looking for where I get ideas from.

1 John hooked me up bigtime, when I began to try to figure out why things are they way they are in the world I checked a few different philosophies and scientific sources but I have to say that Book will slap you in the face.

I never really was a bad kid back in the day I just wanted total freedom because I too did not understand how the world works, things are becoming clearer...

Like I said I have read in the bible before but I just never really got it till I put myself in the position of a child being read a story from someone (as I was reading it myself of course)

Jesus is the coolest man ever that I know of in my language !

he is Heavier than Metal lets just put it that way

edit on 12/19/2010 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Ah I found it you can look it up if you like!

8 And he sent them to Bethlehem, and said, Go and search out exactly concerning the young child; and when ye have found i bring me word, that I also may come and worship him. 9 And they, having heard the king, went their way; and lo, the star, which they saw in the east, went before them, till it came and stood over where the young child was. 10And when they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceeding great joy. 11 And they came into the house and saw the young child with Mary his mother; and they fell down and worshipped him; and opening their treasures they offered unto him gifts, gold and frankincense and myrrh. 12

My mother origionally took us to a catholic church but she eventually fell out. My dad started taking me to a baptist church last january. It's been a great experience. I also understand how the spirit comes and goes. "The Lord works in mysterious ways" or so they say.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic.Artifact
1 John hooked me up bigtime,

oops see I am not versed well enough, What I mean was 'John' right after Luke...

I will get back to ya on this topic though soon, I am not trying to go off topic I just had to explain my mistake.

the Wilderness !

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Camtheconspiracyman,

Ah yes those where precious gifts in those days and held great meanings and I don't think you pastor missed it any, some may make slight differances but not I. I think the verse that tells of it makes it clear it is a treasure.

Mt 2:11 And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense, and myrrh.

They knew who He was and were led there miraculously. It touches the heart. I wish it touched everyone like it does me.

Truthiron.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
It is wonderful .... amen

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
but to me the star that is spoken of is not a star at all really, it is a light that shines in the darkness... I have been reading about myrrh and how it is extracted, I really must read more that leads up to this point.

there is a certain efficiency in the wording of the bible, versions other than KJ lose something imo...

edit on 12/19/2010 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners

They seem like the old equivelent of gifts you get when you don't know what to buy someone.

Gold... Agh I forgot to buy anything, lets just put some money in with the card
Frankincense... Equivalent of the kit of cheap shower gel, deodorant and aftershave that my aunt always gives me
Myrrh.... This is all they had left in the 24 hour garage when I stopped on the way over

excuse me this is a top secret topic ! no cats allowed

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
You can look at the light in two ways:

An angel or something manifested by god or
A slow moving comet

Actually scientists proved a comet at that time was around on Dec 25 .....
if you wanted hard proof for the athiests.
Interesting either way.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Camtheconspiracyman
I dont know I think you actually care about the gift you give the king of the world.

Double post

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Camtheconspiracyman

So you think giving someone that rejected materialism in all forms a bag of gold is a well thought out gift?

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

the gold is symbolic maybe of 'riches'

riches does not necessarily mean monetary wealth, but richness of spirit/soul/being

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 03:01 AM
link   
The symbolism of the Three Magi Kings:

Black (Wise-man King Saul) = Myrrh
White (Wise-man King David) = Frankincense
Yellow (Wise-man King Solomon) = Gold

"Red is the fire or sulphur (Christ) that transforms and finally resurrects in all of them!"

edit on 20-12-2010 by Tamahu because: edited quote

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic.Artifact

Cosmic Artifact,

I share the same opinion about the KJV. I like the wording, it is actually on a fifth grade level and the language I'm so familiar with it that it is musical to me. Besides it comes from the best manuscripts to my knowledge.

Truthiron.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

davespanners,

Not to reply for the OP, but in the case of Mary and Joeseph, they were poor people and the gift was very needed to their lives and well being. Jesus being a baby didn't probably know about it for awhile but it appears He reached reason much before ordinary men. I'm not saying this to be disagreeable but to point out a different view.

Truthiron.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I think your pastors answer was generic.

Actually all three have to do with the baptism of the Holy Spirit. Not the one from John the Baptist, the OTHER one. I don't care to explain it, if you would like.

new topics

top topics

join