It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trying to Be a Non-Touristlike Tourist..HELP!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Im going to new York in a few weeks and need some major pointers. I live on the ocean, so tourists are always around. We've all learned how to be "way too cool" for tourists and we can spot them right away. So, naturally, I have this great paranoi of ever becoming, ding idng ding, a tourist.

Now, I know what Im going to be doing in New York. probably spending a whole day at single places. (MOMA, off braodway, library, etc.) but unfortunately I dont know ANYTHING about what to wear, what to do, what not to do, etc.

Im really good at pretending Ive been places and pretending I actually live there, but seeing as new York is so huge, Im afraid Ill get lost before I find the Statue of Liberty!

And New Yorkers have any tips of my tumultuos traveling???

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I've never been to New York, but I had a good friend who is from there. She says that you never want to stop and linger on sidewalks like us Westies do. Otherwise you'll be mowed down by the non-stop flow of humanity.

Also, don't carry a camera around your neck. Nothing screams tourist (anywhere!) like that.

Try to wear a lot of black. From what I've seen in the movies, New Yorkers worship the colour black.

Have fun !!!

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I lived in NYC back in 2000-2002, and in my experience living there I learned one thing. Be as rude to everyone around you as humanly possible. Just kidding of course.

The only pointers I can offer are plan out where you are going in advance. Check over a map @ the place you are staying and plan a route. Don't just run outside and try and find the place. You'll get lost that way.

Take the subway. It's WAY easier then walking, and WAY safer then taking a cab. Subway workers are helpful and will direct you as to where you'd like to go. You can also get a map of the subway routes.

Don't visit "Tourist" places, like the Statue or Coney Isle. or Times Sq., on the weekends. They are usually packed with tourists.

Also, this might sound really stupid, never wear sandals. The buildings trap heat making the sidewalks feel like they're 400 degrees.

I suggest visiting Strawberry Fields, the tribute park to John Lennon, and Rucker Park, a very famous basketball area. Rucker is in Harlem though, so be careful.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Visit times square(Manhattan)...just not too late...and def. not on a weekend...its going to be packed any day but especially packed on weekends...check out a Yankee game if possible(Bronx)...if you like baseball....its a great atmosphere...go to the village downtown (Manhattan)....check out central park(manhattan)...Museum of Natural History (Right next to central park)...all great to visit...check out a Broadway show in times square...If you dont want to look like a tourist...1)Dont wear one of them hip sack thingys 2)Dont carry a big ass camera around your neck 3) wear sneakers 4) no back packs full of junk you wont need 5) look at a map before hand...get a train map...you can find one on MTA.com or NYC.gov ....all the places Ive mentioned are right off train stops...plus train maps have all the cool places to visit on them already...Ive live in NYC my whole life...trust me on this...OOOOOO...Have ID, A Credit Card...and Some money...Dont carry a wallet full of stuff if possible...just to be safe...and dont be afraid to ask a cop for directions...

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 10:05 AM
link   
If you've never been I guess you have to do the tourist stuff, but make time for things you are really interested in everyday of your life but can't indulge anywhere on Earth but NYC. And I don't mean ballet.

Like if you're into vintage and out of print vinyl, spend a day (or week) on Bleeker Street going through record stores.

Or if it's clothes, coins, stamps, comics (insert any specialty hobby on Earth) NYC is like real life E-Bay.

Just avoid chains altogther. Some people fly to NY to stand in line at Barnes and Noble, FAO Shwartz and Bannana Republic. These people deserve your disdain and a kick in the pants back to the mall.

Same with food. Eat in dives. And definitely do ethnic. NYC puts EPCOT to shame. And I'm not talking about the Pizzeria Uno on the corner by your hotel or PF Changs
...go to Canal Street, Little Italy and Harlem... Toms' Diner.

It's still tourist stuff, but it's cool tourist stuff. Just ask yourself What would Kramer Do?

He'd see a band at CBGB's and drink in an underground bar that you couldn't find again if your life depended on it (because it won't exist when you go back).

I also highly recommend sex with the locals.
(As do they.)

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Don't always be looking up at the height of the buildings.

Even if you don't know where you are going walk with determination and you will seem like you do.

It is ok to people watch, but only when THEY walk into your line of sight. Don't follow them with your eyes. Better yet just wear dark glasses.

If someone that you do not want talking to you begins to do so do not even acknowledge their existence. Just keep walking like you don't see them. You give an inch and they'll take a mile.

Do not hesitate in the least. If you are going to cross the street then don't freeze in the middle or miss a beat. If you are uncertain then always position another crossing pedestrian between the oncoming traffic and yourself. If the car hits the first person then you will have time to react. No, I'm not joking!

If you get on the subway, make sure you are aware of the train's stops. Even though it may be the train that you want there are ones that stop at every station and ones that only stop at the major stations.

AND....whatever you do, do not attempt to turn the 'Art Cube' over on Saint Mark's Place. That is the utmost tourist thing you can do.

Good points

Chinatown: Panda Pagoda (asian department store), Octopuss Kingdom (bootleg anime store), Woo Hop (cheap but decent chinese food)

8th street (right by the 9th St. Path station) all the way to/from Saint Mark's Place: This is about a 7 or 8 block stretch of clothing, accessory and a few record stores. Just imagine where all the punks, goths, cybers get their clothing and that's the place.

Dojos resturant over on Saint Mark's Place is decent and affordible. There is also another one over by Washington park.

As for music, I would only suggest one place. Generations over by Washington park.

All of the stuff that I mentioned is within walking distance as it use to be my old haunt over ten years ago. All of the things that I have mentioned are still there as far as I am aware.

God, now I feel old again!

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Jonna has some great suggestions there, especially to not always be looking up..

Im really good at pretending Ive been places and pretending I actually live there, but seeing as new York is so huge, Im afraid Ill get lost before I find the Statue of Liberty!

It's not really as big as you think it is, and the blocks are fairly small. My wife and I walked alot and took the subway, and easily got around. I can't stress enough though....PLAN OUT YOUR DAY AND ROUTE. There's a lot to see, and you'll see much more with a plan. Try to plan your day around the subway routes, and things will go easy.

If you're REALLY adventurous, take one of the bicycle taxis...this is about as close to death as I want to ever be again, hehe....but damn it was fun.

top topics

join