It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"God" Does Not Care! Why Religion is False and Unscientific

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
You are confusing God and Religion.

God is Spirit.

Religion is organization and the absence of Spirit.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by troubleshooter

Define "Spirit"

Or infact, give me evidence of the God you speak of, and i will renounce my Atheism, nature itself cannot be considered empirical evidence of deity.

Thanks.
edit on 19/12/10 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 02:52 AM
link   
As much as I agree with you on the matter of faith in the minds of evangelists and extremists, I think that faith does have some potential benefits.... and has a side to it that materialistic people seem to overlook.

"Faith" has created movements that have freed oppressed, saved the abused, fed the hungry... pretty much every humanitarian thing you can imagine. I could give you a list of all the faith-based groups providing help in countries like Pakistan and Indonesia.... even though some extremists would call them "devil-worshipers".

I don't know about you, but if i was starving, I wouldn't care which god someone believed in, or if they believed in God for any matter. I realize that they are saving me out of their own free-will for a "higher reason"- altruism. If faith promotes and spreads that quality, I am all in for that!

Could you imagine the kind of world we would live in if all these organizations disappeared?

Of course, its cool to diss God because science can answer all the questions that faith has asked... but there is so much we don't understand or can't even imagine about the universe.... Do you think Newton would have understood quantum mechanics?

Who is to say that discovery will lead us in a different, non-materialistic sense in the future?
Do you think people could have imagined a scientifically dominated paradigm even 500 years ago?

I guess the point remains, Faith and Religion is about mystery. As long as their are unanswerable questions, people will have Faith and Religion. It is a part of who we are- arguably mystery is the sole reason we have Religion.

I don't mind people quoting God as being the creator of all... the point is that people are using God in a sense of beauty- they find something beautiful, like a galaxy, and as inspiring as saying that a galaxy is just a big mass of chaos, it is more beautiful to say it's the work of a master artist.
edit on 19/12/1010 by Monts because: (no reason given)

edit on 19/12/1010 by Monts because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Monts

Faith and Religion is about mystery

It's also about blind guesswork of moral laws of this God that they can't even prove exists. It's also about being a cheerleader and an abject slave to the master of the universe.

Even if you gave me the evidence, i believe your God to be capricious, malevolent and discrimitory. The way he treats humanity and demands their worship.

This is a totalitarian edict like that of North Korea. Good luck being a follow to this immoral preaching of theocracy.

You can't have answers before questions, the answers and contradictions of the metaphysical claims of "GOD" go unanswered, and unexplained, we should treat this with great suspicion.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by awake_and_aware
reply to post by troubleshooter

Define "Spirit"

Or infact, give me evidence of the God you speak of, and i will renounce my Atheism, nature itself cannot be considered empirical evidence of deity.

Thanks.

There is no 'God-o-meter' or 'God receiver' other than the individual.

There is no objective or empirical evidence that I can give you.

I know the Spirit of God and I know several other people who do...
...but there is nothing I can give other than how you can know too.

You must first believe that Jesus was raised from the dead...
...once you believe that you wil have received the Spirit and will know for yourself.

Seems like foolishness I know...
...but that is the way God has decided to interface with humans...
...not through wisdom or empirical gnosis but through faith in a small piece of history...
...so you do it His way or never know Him.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   
God has trillions of Universes, galaxies, stars, planets and life-forms to worry about and keep in check on a day by day basis. Of COURSE he cares about little Billy spilling his seed in The Milky Way. When galaxies collide, stars go Nova and gamma rays wipe out planets - HE is concerned with whether or not Bob and John are getting it on in Tallahasee.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Everyone has a right to their opinion.That's the wonderful gift God gave us.Sometimes people ask why in the old testament he killed all those people and did such horrid things,well the explanation is quite simple...Since the people were very primitive and we are by nature violent and sinful,there is no other way to fight violence,besides with violence.

As our history suggests this events did affect people in several ways,we see that people became more spiritual and so did His way of dealing with us.You know how they say God acts in mysterious ways.Since we cannot even imagine the power He has,and we don't see Him with our eyes,we simply choose not to believe.Sounds familiar maybe?In history many beliefs were ridiculed and mocked(like before microscope no one seen bacteria and such organism),but some actually were true,and at that time those discoveries must have been sci-fi,like alien life seems today.

I have never seen my blood cells,but i know they are in me,so if you put it that way and open your mind,who knows what you may find.(what an awesome rhyme i got here by coincidence xD)

Peace,David

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by awake_and_aware
....give me evidence of the God you speak of, and i will renounce my Atheism.....

Go to Ancestry.com and type in "god" as a last name and hit -search-.

In 1610 a new word was created in the English Language, "G-o-d". It was pulled straight from someone's rear. It wasn't based upon scripture, scrolls, nor even sounded like the word that was previously used to identify the deity in our English language.

Long before that word was made up in the English Language, the letters "G-o-d" were the last name of people in Poland and Germany. They existed long before that word ever did in English.

This is the 400th Anniversary of the man made word "God". Not based upon anything prior to 1610 which was used to identify a religious entity. No Christian even knows what the original words were in English to identify their holy man prior to 1610. They just go along with the new English word and consider it fact.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   
You are allowed your opinion, like everyone else.

I think it is much more courageous to "believe" than to not believe.

God has blessed my life so much, my guardian Angel is always at the ready to help me when I ask...
to me, there is no doubt whatsoever of His existence.

The universe is unexplained. The Big Bang theory has just been completely obliterated by Italian astrophysicists. There are many, many everyday miracles that people just don't see due to their
busy lifestyles.

How can one explain the uniqueness of every single person on Earth? What makes every single person, interiorly, different from everyone else? I don't think neurotransmitters and hormones are the cause.

As I said, you are entitled to believe God doesn't exist...
Many believe different and are secure in their faith, having seen enough behind the veil to never have
their faith shaken.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

Sorry,but i don't understand how this relates to the subject since words,are all man made,and changed a lot with the languages and time.
We are trying to figure what created us and for what purpose,because the evolution is just a theory with no scientific evidence to back it up.We are adapting to our surroundings,not evolving,since evolution means improvement and our bodies remained the same(muscular tissue for example).

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
My opinion and mine alone, religios books are the account of what happend to people characters in the bible and other religios books, tales of how they percived things of the force,entity we call god, the creator. Many people took into an accont these things and wrote them down.
Religion is not just control but also a result of people living in a way to somehow function by a good code of conduct, or at least used to be. Tho religion became a control tool by the elites.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ideamachinextreme

Interested to see your new post, please tell us where you put it.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Monts

Could you imagine the kind of world we would live in if all these organizations disappeared?

Faith and religion aren't prerequisites for organizations that do humanitarian work. There are many secular organizations that do the same. And if religion ceased to exist, there would be no drop-off in humanitarian acts. Wars, however, do tend to stem from differences in deeply held ideologies, often time religion. I contend religion does more harm than good...

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
"I do not judge the universe" (Dalai Lama)

You could argue that religion might be a quality control test.
It could be profoundly scientific, if you ask me.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by thegoodearth

Quite the oppposite, it takes courage to admit "I don't know" and "I'm not going to believe until i have evidence" Than to blindly believe some doctrine that man wrote, or just to believe that God exists at all.

If you won't agree that Agnositicism is humble, then we will never come to an agreement, i'm sorry.

We are the one's who ask for evidence before preaching it.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Religion is poison. It took our most intrinsic values and gave them to imaginary figures through the use of our own fear, greed, and ignorance.
I've nothing against anyone believing in a god. I don't find it worthwhile to give homage to any god, if they do exist, for it seems that all gods are wrapped up in playing a cosmic version of hide-and-seek...and they've been wrapped up in it for quite some time now.
Perhaps when religion was first "invented" as a method to soothe the bereaved, and to answer the unfathomable questions our ancestors had about the things they didn't understand and couldn't understand (which was nearly everything), then it sufficed. But over time, religions mutate - and they evolve into more complex systems. The clergy discovered, as the shamans did, that claiming to have a direct connection to the supernatural could be a very rewarding position in many aspects. They learned what thoughts the people could easily shrug off, they learned what concepts brought obedience, and also which ones brought such agonizing fears that they couldn't find rest until they HAD to pray. Over time that has branched and forked and branched & forked again into a multitude of variations of the same story - all claiming to be on the right path with the god who is all powerful and all knowing, and all declaring themselves to be correct in their beliefs.
Non belief in religion doesn't detract from the joy of life - it ADDS joy to life, for you can accept it for what it truly is. It doesn't take away your sense of morals - it makes them SHARPER, and more defined. It makes you much more accepting of people as they are, instead of giving you the illusion that you are better than them in some sense because of what someone TOLD you that you should believe. Everything doesn't fall apart, quite the opposite happens....you can see how everything FITS together. Suddenly the world makes a lot more sense. Everything seems more REAL
Religious people can be compared to a child, playing in the mud - and happy because that's all they believe there IS, when we're telling them that there is a beautiful beach just over the hill, but they're scared to go over the hill because they've been told there are terrible monsters there.
I also think that a lot of people have faith in Pascal's Wager, which states that if you believe in god and are right, then you've everything to gain - and if there is no god, then you've lost nothing. That is a very poorly fabricated line of reasoning which assumes that an all knowing god wouldn't know that you weren't entirely sincere in your belief. Can you really accept that he would?

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by thegoodearth

Believers only have to believe what they are spoon-fed from birth and they are guaranteed a happy eternity. Non-believers take a position (usually after much research) understanding and accepting that they might be wrong. And if the believers are right, it's a huge risk the non-believers are taking.

Believers place all responsibilities in the hands of some other being. Non-believers take responsibility for themselves and hold others responsible for themselves.

How is it more courageous to believe than not to believe?

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by sykickvision

Finally, someone other than a blind-believer wanting to share their opinion.

Bravo - even though you're just using free speech; to challenge or to dislike religion is considered arrogant, close-minded and causes offense. I say; why should religion be excluded from public critique, why should the foolish and Presumptuous beliefs of organised religion be respected?

Any other arena of debate, opinions and theories can be challenged (Medicine, physics, sports, politics) Then i ask why can religion not be challenged? Especially with it's lack of evidence?

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
If i was to say "i believe" all Jews are inferior without any evidence - Would you not fight back? Would you not speak up against this ignorance?

God causes prejudice from the doctrine that he is alledged to have spoken through, homosexuals, women and slaves are at risk from his scorn.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Please stop saying such things!It is only us who made this from the religion,you can't find anything in Bible that refers to Pope's as our leaders!!!This is entirely made up by people,we used this religion to make our own ways...
Its like a guy that shot John Lennon,he said he was inspired by Catcher In The Rye,do you think its the author of the book who is responsible?
Please stop blaming religion and start blaming PEOPLE!

Peace,David

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join