It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radical Individualism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Are we suffering from radical individualism in the world today? When I look out I see a drive in each person to live according to his or her own rules and beliefs. Not saying this is bad. If a person is not willfully being a parasite in order to fulfill their gain I say, be that individual. I've been noticing problems that may be stemming out of this like BP or BLM. I know this country had been founded by Individualism and yes Radical but we had purpose to lead this world into a light that was only dreamed about. Now it seems this drive has taken on a Whatever attitude that seems to be leading this world into darkness. What is your opinion ATSer?

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
What do you suggest? That the individual is sacrificed for the collective good?

I think every individual has to choose their own path. Forcing a path is coercive. Let everyone choose their own poison.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

You made a terrific point. I don't agree with forcing either. It's just seems that we force ourselves one way or another. It's like if we force ourselves to go out of our way to save 10 cents a gallon of gas even if it meant going to BP. Are we losing the grasp of harmony that relates to our own lives. That doesn't seem very independent. Seems like we're being forced passively by our thoughts and desires, our own poison. What can a single person do or suggest that doesn't involve a forced intervention of opinion.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Excellent thread, OP. S&F. I've been warning people of the dangers of oversocialized "selfish individualism" for years now. We are individuals. We are individuals who are a part of a greater society which is made up of other individuals. What we call "radical individualism" really is and what those who say that we need to guard against collectivism really mean is we should all live our lives according to game theory. Everyone out for themselves, and no one else. The most frequent occasion I hear about the "threat of collectivism" in my community is when we are talking about helping the homeless and people want to try and weasel their way out of giving 5 or 10 bucks to the shelter, or deferring a few thousand bucks of tax dollars to expand a battered womens shelter. "It's not my fault they got themselves into that position so I don't see why I have to pay for it." Those are usually the first people lining up for free food the minute times get hard. What's funny is they even hold on to those selfish beliefs even in the soup ,kitchen line and will cut in front of the line so that they can get fed before everyone else. I see it every day.

A good series of films about this type individualism is called "The Trap" by Adam Curtis. I'll link you to the first film here. There are four films total in this series, and they are all on google video or available as a torrent.

video.google.com...#

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Individualism is fine,as long as one realizes,and observes one is not the only person on the planet.
Individualism is fine,as long as one realizes,and observes one is not the only person on the planet.
It's not so much about individualism today.
It's more about irresponsible selfishness,rudeness and greed.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Control

Thank for your post. I'll get to that soon

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
we have all went to different schools together so we drink alone or with other people

new topics

top topics

join