It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vancouver police to use licence-plate readers to track gangsters’ movement

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Vancouver police to use licence-plate readers to track gangsters’ movement .

www.vancouversun.com

Vancouver City police plan to deploy the devices in order to combat gangs.
The devices are capable of scanning and storing 1500 licence plates per hour.
I am very sure there isnt more than 1500 gang members of all kinds in the city...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

edit on 12/18/2010 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   
My question, what will they be doing with all the data of private citizens who are not persons of interest gang wise?
It is obvious that there will be a greater amount of data on the private citizens stored away than there will be of gang people.
If you can use it to track the movements of gang members,it would be equally effacious at tracking the members of say a political party?protest group?union strike committee,or your family even.

www.vancouversun.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 04:36 AM
link   
this reminds me of about 2 hours ago when i tried to set up a gmail account cause i need a new email. instead of just having that annoying, figure out this cryptic word slot. now in order to get a gmail account you must supply them with your cell number so they can text you the key.

so not only can google watch and read who you send mail too, but now they can track you at the same time. google earth is starting to look more and more unfriendly

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   
In England a similar device is used, some of the ATS users living over there would be able to give greatly more information that I could, most of what I know is that it's called ANPR Automatic Number Plate Recognition

I'm not sure about gang tracking, but from what i've seen ANPR is mostly used to tag vehicles within bordered regions for a number of things including insurance evasion/fraud, high end drug transport, vehicle theft and re-birthing, abduction and also proactive responses to personal injury.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

The thing is with these things, people who have committed no crimes can be followed and tracked all around the country just for being nearby some sort of protest, let alone being involved.

What the hell do they want to watch us so closely for?

Here in the UK we have CCTV on every street corner, watching traffic, watching pedestrians, watching everybody. Cameras atop every set of traffic lights that turn to fix on you every time you stop at the red light.

The worrying thing is, it wasn't until I saw this thread that I realised I don't notice them anymore.

en.wikipedia.org...

As Michel Foucault, Paul Virilio and others have noted, information is power.[citation needed] The UK Government is able to track almost all automated and many non-automated journeys within and outwith the UK.[citation needed] Individual freedom of movement is not protected as the Government possess the right of detention without charge for up to thirty days.[citation needed] There are no effective restrictions on the Governments right to track.[citation needed] In essence, critics[who?] say, the UK has become a giant open prison.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

We just got these things in Melbourne, Australis also..
Though I think they had a couple already, now they will have 10 more on the road for the Xmas period..

It is harassment..Like my son lost his license and his mate drives him to work in my sons car..
They will get pulled up and questioned evry time they pass one of these things..
That's what they do.....

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
"The worrying thing is, it wasn't until I saw this thread that I realised I don't notice them anymore"
That is scarey!

The amount of personal data that could, and likely would accumulate,is just as likely to be erroneous as reaal.
Especially in an automated type system.
Suppose yer mum lived near a Hells Angels club house, and you, consequently checked in with her often, dropping by at odd times of the day or evening.
Your cars plates would be scanned possibly enough times parked there by the HA clubhouse,as to give you a rep with the coppers for biker connections.
Or maybe just tagged as a satisfied customer for god knows what contraband etc...
The same principal applies to a lot of situations where wrong conclusions, or connections , could be made statistically.improper inferences drawn....SWAT kicks in wrong door etc.
And like i said, the equipment wont be idle, itll be running 24/7 if theyve got it.
After all, its an automatic system,needs no hands to run, and can yeild all kinds of money in possible fines,
How ya gonna stop them from implementing a machine that prints money...while leaving more time for cruising and eating doughnuts?
I just wonder what kind of collateral damage could ensue.....
Where people go when they are not home is their own private business........

MBF

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Until people take the matter into their own hands and "solve" the problem themselves, this is only going to get worse. Once you reach a certain point, there is NO turning back. People are getting tired of all the harassment. It is just another way to control the people. It may start out as a "way to track gang activity", but it will soon turn into a way to track YOU.

new topics

top topics

join