It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mini ce Age in North Western Europe - Problems with the Loop Stream, Gulf Stream, North Atlantic Dr

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   
There is a lot of speculation regarding the stalling of the LOOP CURRENT in the Gulf of Mexico, and its alleged impact on the GULF STREAM and the NORTH ATLANTIC DRIFT CURRENT, which is an essential movement of warm water from the Equatorial Regions to the Northern Atlantic. In North Western Europe, this warm water current is essential to stave off Arctic Climate during winter months.

Now, considering the almost unprecedented start to winter in Europe and indeed the States, is this in fact what is occuring ? Has there been a severe disruption in the natural flow of the GULF STREAM, and indeed is Northern and Central Europe heading towards a Mini Ice Age as a result ?

Please, any information regarding this topic will be greatly appreciated. I live in Northern Europe, and am concerned about this worrying trend in the weather.

Mod Note: All Caps – Please Review This Link.
edit on 18/12/2010 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:02 AM
link   
It is going to be colder next year. And on the 21 of December 2012 it is going to be even colder. After the 21 of December 2012 its going to get warmer, and things will comeback to normal. This is all part of a cycle.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Care to tell us about what you are experiencing there? There is no doubt that this has been an exceptionally brutal winter. Whether it is odd in the long range picture I don't know, but it is clearly more extreme than we've seen in a while. Ice Age? Not necessarily. Affected by some change in the Gulf Stream? Most assuredly.

Will the stream stay shut? Probably not, but who knows how long it will take.

Soo --- tell us. What have you seen or experienced personally where you are? Over here in my part of Canada it was mild and no snow and then all of a sudden its been over a week of below freezing temperatures and a sudden dump of snow with blowing winds that had a major highway shut down for 4 days. When the snow plows can't even get out, its bad.

Yep, that is an odd one, for sure.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   
I know a lot of people in northern england...what you guys are experiencing isnt any different than a couple of decades ago. It happens, dont get your panties in a bunch.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xavialune
I know a lot of people in northern england...what you guys are experiencing isnt any different than a couple of decades ago. It happens, dont get your panties in a bunch.

I actually live in northern England. Yes we all remember winters when we had 'snow up to my grannies eyeballs' - yawn... The difference is the season dates are changing and winters are getting colder for longer and the met office is now predicting that this December could be the coldest since records began.
www.dailymail.co.uk...
But really those of us who live in rural locations or who are involved in farming (and that's me) don't need telling. So go sort your own panties out.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   
I live in Hamburg, Germany. This city is pretty close (100Km) to the North Sea and although it gets really cold here in Winter, the brunt of it usually comes in Jan/Feb. Even last year, which was regarded as a brutal winter by most, did not start as early or as fiercely as this year. Also, Hamburg is not known for its snowy winters, sure it will snow, but usually mostly rain and sleet, with the thermometer fluctualing around the zero celcius mark. Last year the first snow was around the 20th Dec and it then got pretty bad for 3 months. This year it started a month earlier, and the temperature is about 10 degrees less on average for Nov/Dec.Thats quite a change. Deep winter conditions at pretty much the end of autumn. Only the NORTH ATLANTIC DRIFT CURRENT will temper the impact of the winter. My thinking is, if this flow is compromised, this protection due to the warming effect will be lacking, so that when the Sunshine falls below a certain level, as it does in the end of Autumn (Bell Curve as we approach the solstice)
the cold sets in and there is no moderating effect of this essential warm current.

Help me find out whats going on here. Any useful data or links much appreciated. I think this is a real problem, and will have a devastating impact on food production, energy usage etc.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Oh great here we go again

Please research the impacts of La Nina on the world climate before making claims on something that you have absolutely no idea about

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   
For the love of god, take the ALL CAPS title down a notch.

This is getting ridiculous.

S+F for the post, but there is not enough evidence to fully prove what you are saying.
Probe.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

If you read the post, you would see that I dont claim to know anything. Hence my appeal for information. Dont be so grumpy, if you have nothing useful to add, dont post.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by DontProbeMeBro

Oh, sorry about the CAPS. New to this, just pretty cold with no respite in sight, and want any useful information about this situation.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Last time I paid attention to LaNina I do believe we had extra precip. as a result of it -- ie, lots of wet snow day after day that winter and maybe the next. The summer was hot and rainy; almost tropical. This summer was that way.

This year we haven't had much snow except that big blast and even that was mainly north of where I am. What we're getting here is frigid cold. Even florida fruit is covered in icicles.

I am not a meteorologist, but I've been noticing this past year that weather systems seem HUGE in comparison to the past. A low pressure system seems to cover damn near the whole of N. America from time to time. The sweep of the jet stream the last week has it dropping down from the northern part of Canada all the way down nearly to Florida before it sweeps back up.

In my mind the presence of such large systems contributes to greater "extremes" of temperature and precip than we're used to. Atlantic Canada has been washed out with heavy rains several times this year and again this week. They always get rain, but this year has been extraordinary and dozens of bridges and roads washed out in NB. It seems like everything is normal except that it is coming in bigger doses than I ever remember it -- only going on a little over 60 years of being here to enjoy this wonderful phenomenon called weather.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
Oh great here we go again

Please research the impacts of La Nina on the world climate before making claims on something that you have absolutely no idea about

I dont feel a need to research La Nina impacts on world Climate, I find that research cannot be relyed upon as factual these days because of funding issues (who is paying for this research). I would rather use my own experiences and those of others like myself around the world.

The previous 2 winters here in south west england have been unusual to say the least. The winter of 2008 had the rivers around here with large amounts of icing (something locals had not seen in over 20 years) then 2009 we had large amounts of snow which persisted for weeks (not something seen in this area for over 30 years) then this year we had a very cold late spring, summer was colder that normal which was most evident on sunny days where we would need jumpers (i hate wearing jumpers in summer) then autumn came early didnt last long as winter conditions hit us in earlt November.

I have been keeping a close eye on the weather all year and have been predicting this (just ask my patient girlfriend lol) since spring. This weather is unusual for sure, its not like the weather we had in the 70's with warm summers and cold winters, it would seem now we are in a period of general cooling where the summer warmth does not return to any great extent but the winters are much frther reaching IMHO

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Any fears you have about moving in to an Ice age are justified IMO.
Have a look at this headline...
Britain to Freeze Due to Death of the Gulf Stream
One of many you can find on the net, this one comes from here - ______beforeitsnews/story/311/179/Britain_to_Freeze_Due_to_Death_of_the_Gulf_Stream.html - and theres a good interview you can listen to as well.

Or this - gulf stream dead effects

Cold Wave Kills 6 Million Fish in Eastern Bolivia
August 7, 2010

Cold Wave Kills 6 Million Fish in Eastern Bolivia
Latin American Herald Tribune
August 5, 2010

LA PAZ – Authorities in the eastern Bolivian province of Santa Cruz declared an alert following the death of 6 million fish from the unusually cold weather gripping the country in recent weeks.

The provincial government said the fish died in the Grande, Pirai and Ichilo rivers that run through the tropical region.

This is an “environmental catastrophe” brought on by the lowest temperatures registered in Santa Cruz in nearly half a century, Gov. Ruben Costas told reporters.

The next ice age could begin any day.

Next week, next month, next year, it's not a question of if, only when.
One day you'll wake up - or you won't wake up, rather - buried beneath nine stories of snow. It's all part of a dependable, predictable cycle, a natural cycle that returns like clockwork every 11,500 years.

. . . And since the last ice age ended almost exactly 11,500 years ago . . .put 2 and 2 together folks.

Russian Climate Scientist Predicts New Ice Age Part 1
www.youtube.com...

30 Years of Global Cooling Are Coming, Leading Scientist Says
www.foxnews.com...

The mini ice age starts here. (January 10th 2010)
The bitter winter afflicting much of the Northern Hemisphere is only the start of a global trend towards cooler weather that is likely to last for 20 or 30 years, say some of the world’s most eminent climate scientists.
Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

And this is just the tip of the iceburge (pun intended)

Do some research and you'll no what to do...my suggestion move towards the equator, wherever you are.

Good Luck.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Mythkiller

Thanks mate, very interesting reading, and it will be interesting times ahead for us up north.

The Swedes say there is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothes...

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Hi,
for those who have a serious interest i have started a group on yahoo to explore the Abrupt Climate Change implications. Have been gathering up links to post in there with all sorts of info that is out there floating around. For starters anyone who wants can search for DEOS and look at the gulf stream velocities data from the satellites, I have several of the pics on the site. The Gulf Stream is floundering off the coast of the Carolinas. No wonder it is colder than normal in Europe. In addition, the Jet Stream is way south all the way from the US thru Europe, I found a nice map and put it on the group site. Plse see the photos sections there if you decide to join. The jet that normally hits UK is over North Africa and has been.

if you want to explore this and more then come on over and join the group. discuss the natural cycle of the climate shifts, and what causes them. Is it the axis of the Earth? or the effects of the rotation against the currents of the Great Ocean Conveyor system? What sort of climate could we expect after a shift? I have models on the group site as well. And a report the US DoD commissioned some years back on what would happen in the event of an Abrupt Climate Change event. It is not pretty. Imagine the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse on the loose. Famine from climate changes; war over dwindling resources, failing infrastructures. How can you survive that? What to do?

Here is a link to the group:

tech.groups.yahoo.com...

Hope to see you there; only if you are serious about it and have something to contribute - in which case you will be warmly welcomed.

chris in IN USA

new topics

top topics

join