It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christianity - Why I've given up

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
"The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried."

G. K. Chesterton

I agree 100% with this statement.

I love Christianity because IN ITS ESSENCE, Christianity is about doing the impossible - being perfect. It's about imitating Christ, aka, "being the perfect person".

It doesn't even matter if Jesus was real (though I'm fairly certain he was) it's about a principle:

We should be the best we can be - being kind to people, living for others, etc.

I will always be a Christian, because I believe in the essential values that Christ preached at the Sermon on the Mount. I believe in the Beatitudes. Blessed are the peace makers. Blessed are the poor. Blessed are those who suffer in the name of righteousness.

We should live according to the Sunday School principle: JOY - Jesus, Others, You. Living for Jesus means doing what's MORALLY right, living for Others means doing what's ETHICALLY right, and doing for yourself means what's doing BEST for YOURSELF.

It's about perspective. It's about other people - not just you.

# the Church. # the pope - they do what they do for their own reasons, and I don't BLAME them, but neither do I NEED them any more. I do what I do because I base my decisions on REASON and LOGIC.

I believe in evolution - in everything Science teaches. And I see nothing in science that contradicts the basic idea that we are ALL the same - all created in the same FORM, and that that basic form is special, and worth protecting.

We should be nice to one another. We should live in smaller communities. We should gather together once a week to make sure everyone is OK, and everyone is receiving what they need.

A lot of people hate Jews. Man, that makes me mad, but what can I do? In Deuteronomy it says quite clearly: Charging interest on loans is wrong.

I think usury is wrong. I'm a Distributive - I believe that people should lend money out of the goodness of their heart - not because they expect to make a profit. And to anyone who says "no one will lend people money if they're not going to make a profit" I will say, "Well # you then."

The rest of us are ready to play ball - what's wrong with you?

We're all in this together.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by RedBird

I think you missed the point of Christianity. It's not about being perfect. No one can be perfect. In fact it's probably the opposite of that. Jesus died for us because we AREN'T perfect. We are now in a relationship with God based on grace. We screw up but we are already forgiven because Jesus died for us. The moment we accept Jesus as Lord we receive the indwelling of the holy spirit to help us in this life. Again it's not about being perfect....yes we become like Christ, but it's not on our own actions, it's on Jesus's death and the holy spirits indwelling inside of us. The holy spirit literally changes who we are. You don't have to 'try' to be good...

And by the way, God will never give up on you even if you give up on Him.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by freedish

exactly live your life and enjoy it, if god built this earth does he want you to sit in some old cave and say thanks ? no just be a good person and well all be going up there

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Mohandas Gandhi: I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ

if you dig Christ and his message, and seek to follow it in a manner that upholds your own faith, then that's as "Christian" as you need to be.

Originally posted by freedish

And by the way, God will never give up on you even if you give up on Him.

...or Her.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
dont give up on christianity just give up on the things you have to go through to be a good christian if god built the world and i say IF then surely he built his church afterall he is perfect

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by RedBird

Im sorry im a little lost!

So do you believe in christianity or evolution or both?

The reason i ask is because in the bible, God says HE created US in HIS image,

then you have science which states we came from monkey's one minute and now fish, the same scientists believe the earth is 600 million yrs old, yet state they cant proove its actually over 6 thousand years old. hmmm.
and who created the monkey's? and fish? and planets?

why would anybody believe all this was just here? it makes no sense!

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by infoquest

you've reduced all of cosmology of the universe into an "either / or" hypothesis:

either the bible (written by men, btw) is correct, or science's current explanation is correct.

there are a whole lot of other cultures and knowledge systems that have weighed in on this topic, from quantum physics to hindu cosmology.

...just sayin'

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by RedBird

RedBird,

I too will always be a Christian the Lord God strenghten us to keep in the way. I find you are right, we are counseled to be overcomers and to be perfect as our Father in Heaven is perfect. Mat. 5:48. He doesn't leave us powerless to do so. He comes and dwells in us and then all things are possibe, even overcoming the devil. As long as we don't give up He does not give up on us and is our help in time of need. Heb. 4:16.

Just to let you know you are not alone here and even if you were He would still be with you.

Great testimony you gave.

Truthiron.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
geez. am i the only pagan hanging out on this thread?

well... good luck with your faith, wherever it takes you. (no sarcasm intended)

but do remember, there are many ways to revere the infinite.

and no, you won't find that in the bible. that's the point.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by mythos

mythos,

I think Pagan means "country dweller" and I suppose that means one dwelling outside the city of God? I don't really know. I've heard the expression lots of times "Paganism" expecially about Christmas. The reason I bring this up is because you asked if you were the only "Pagan" on the thread. Wonder what is your definition of Pagan?

The "infinite" is beyond man's comprehension. This is the reason so many can not relate to God. They or none can. We are not supposed to in our present state. I understand though that the redeemed will be given these understandings and the mind capacity to recieve and comprehend it.

I came on the thread to add to the fact that I find there is a True and Great God of Love and Righteousness.

Truthiron.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by RedBird

Have you ever thought about Hinduism or Buddhism? In Hinduism the goal is to merge back into Brahman (The Absolute Reality, The Universe, God.) There is many paths to take, Bhakti Yoga (Devotional worship,) meditation and yoga, etc. The Bhagavad Gita gives an over view of the paths one can take. Also the Upanishads are a good place to start reading too.

In Buddhism there is no concept of God. It's up to each person to liberate themselves by following the Four Noble truths and the Eightfold Path. Meditation is also a big part of it.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
How have you given up on Christianity? If you follow the Christian ideal you are most certainly Christian. If with all your strength you try to do good, though all sin, is that not Christian? With sin seek God that it be not added onto you with humility, recongnizing and repenting (in heart and truth) of it. It is very beautiful when one can approach God seeking mercy and mercy for others.

Have faith for God is not mocked, sinners shall obtain as their actions demand. Righteousness will afford what only goodness can purchase. But seek mercy for others who sin, and yourself as it requires (for no man is perfect), especially those who do it in ignorance.

Have hope for the future and have hope in God. Seek Him with all your heart and mind and soul and power. Do good that goodness may come.

Have love and give love.

Also, read the Bible. I read it daily and I find my greatest satisfaction in it when I read it. And do so with a heart sought only after God's true message.

May the love of God and of His Christ shine upon all who search for Him.
And those who don't may they find Him and do goodness. God's peace upon all.

edit on 6-6-2011 by JeshurunAndronicus because: Forgot one thing.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedBird

A lot of people hate Jews. Man, that makes me mad, but what can I do? In Deuteronomy it says quite clearly: Charging interest on loans is wrong.

I think usury is wrong. I'm a Distributive - I believe that people should lend money out of the goodness of their heart - not because they expect to make a profit. And to anyone who says "no one will lend people money if they're not going to make a profit" I will say, "Well # you then."

The rest of us are ready to play ball - what's wrong with you?

We're all in this together.

What do Jews and interest have to do with one another? And since you love the idea of loaning money for free why dont you start by giving me a large no interest loan.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I've learned as a Christian that being "imperfect" is okay... and learn to laugh and enjoy it... all the while trying to make improvements...why? Because imperfections can harm myself and others. I work to improve because of "LOVE" which puts others first... and is very non-human like. By nature, humans are very selfish and self-serving. Christ was the opposite in being firm/tender, caring/disciplinary, tough/soft, teacher/confidant and much more. This is a subtle but strong evidence that Jesus was more than human... he was consistent in his dealings, compassionate with the hurting; strict with the arrogant and playful with the children. But most of all... he was FOCUSED. He had one job... to reach mankind with a message from dear old dad in heaven which said "Hey, I am still here... working on a rescue plan... pay attention... trust my son... follow his instructions and when you get to my house... we've got cookies! Let's party!

Problem is the church has gotten lost... Christianity is lost... but God & Jesus Christ are still on target and focused on throwing you a lifeline to get home. Sure, you can refuse it... but why? It cost you nothing, except a little pride. It pays back plenty in blessings, healing, building hope and purpose... and it's a personal invitation from those who really, really like you!!! This is the message that has been warped & lost over time... but its still there for you.

Hope to see you at the heavenly party... if you beat me there... save me some chocolate chip cookies!!!

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by RedBird

You stated,
I believe in evolution - in everything Science teaches. And I see nothing in science that contradicts the basic idea that we are ALL the same - all created in the same FORM, and that that basic form is special, and worth protecting.

You believe everything that man says, and not what God teaches,

If the Bible is true as I believe evolution and only the religion of evolution and all that it is is against the Fact of God.

Evolution if true means that you and a banana are the same this is not true. Life comes from non-life this is not true, Lizards can birth chickens this is not true.

Nothing except man has a soul and the gift of free will, creativity. To live for God or to separate from him.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by truthiron

You wrote:

["The "infinite" is beyond man's comprehension."]

True; ....but why do YOU then pass on information from an alleged character from the infinite? As here....

Quote: ["....We are not supposed to in our present state."]

Or is this mundane information? In which case it can be validated by mundane means. There appears to be some confused self-contradiction at work here.

Quote: ["I came on the thread to add to the fact that I find there is a True and Great God of Love and Righteousness."]

A FACT?? From the infinite beyond man's comprehension. You're just here to preach, nothing else.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ACTS 2:38

You wrote:

["If the Bible is true as I believe evolution and only the religion of evolution and all that it is is against the Fact of God."]

You should learn the difference between 'facts' and 'faith'.

For the rest of your post; get some basic knowledge of REAL science, before you start analyzing it from your own pseudo-science platform.

edit on 18-6-2011 by bogomil because: punctuation

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Anyone who gave up on Christianity truly never met the Master; it's impossible to taste it and then turn around and said you don't need, want it.
There's more in "to be born again" than that the average Don Joe will ever realize and that's the reason you can fool some but not all.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by infoquest
reply to post by RedBird

Im sorry im a little lost!

So do you believe in christianity or evolution or both?

The reason i ask is because in the bible, God says HE created US in HIS image,

then you have science which states we came from monkey's one minute and now fish, the same scientists believe the earth is 600 million yrs old, yet state they cant proove its actually over 6 thousand years old. hmmm.
and who created the monkey's? and fish? and planets?

why would anybody believe all this was just here? it makes no sense!

They're not mutually exclusive!
Most Christians believe both Christianity and evolution, even thought at the extremes, both creationists and some atheists get very angry that it's so.
It's very simple - theistic evolution says that God used evolution as the means of creating humans.
Vicky

new topics

top topics

join