It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NWO and Wrestling with Hulk Hogan, must see!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Namaste1001

Ya I know that one really sealed the deal for me. Good find indeed. Thanks

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by bxbomber328

Oh ya I'm sure. Now they are the immortals. Make of it what you want, in the future I see the 1970-2012 being labeled as the brainwashed era. People are going to love the nWo without even knowing why...

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I'm the most real anti NWO guy on this board well me and a few thousand but point being the NWO plot in WCW was the most brilliant gimmick in wrestling history first they make one of the smartest and shocking things occur with this angle they turn Hulk Hogan bad and then went on to come up with a brilliant name for his group the New World Order i mean what's hated more then that so they gave them the most evil name they could give a heel faction, the story line got so many fans upset that they would literally litter the ring with trash.

I hate the real NWO with a passion but i liked the wrestling faction alot even have a shirt there trying to do the gimmick again more so with Nexus in the WWE then Imortal in TNA, but as far as story lines go the NWO in WCW was probably there best story line....

Also if the NWO in wrestling did anything it made you hate the NWO more don't forget they were bad guys not good guys and like i said they were hated so much people threw trash in the ring...sounds to me more like a anti NWO movement...
edit on 18-12-2010 by King Seesar because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
This whole wrestling storyline has absolutely nothing at all to do with the NWO as we know it. There is no subliminal messages, no tongue in cheek references. It is easy to look back now and say there must have been, but you are simply fooling yourself.

In order to understand what this wrestling NWO was really about, you have to know a little wrestling history. This storyline is what is known as the "Invasion Angle". Ted Turner had purchased World Championship Wrestling. At the time Vince McMahon and the the WWF were the only show on the market. Their product had become stale and comical. The wrestlers of the WWF were really nothing more than comic book type characters. Wrestlers like The Undertaker (supposedly a dead man), Doink the Clown (yes a wrestling clown). After Ted Turner bought WCW he basically gave Eric Bishoff a balnk check which he used to lure all of WWF's top talent away. It started with the older guys like Hulk Hogan, Macho Man Randy Savage, and others. The even signed the WWF's women's champion, who appeared live on Monday "Nitro" and threw the WWF championship belt in a trash can.

Slowly, WCW began to compete with the WWF in ratings. This became known as the "Monday Night War". WCW using Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage and Sting as their top stars were going head to head with WWF and stars such as Shawn Michaels, Razor Ramon, Big Daddy Cool Diesel, Undertaker, etc etc. Which lead to each promotion taking shots at each other on their shows. The WWF would make fun of WCW claiming they were promoting has been, over the hill stars such as Hogan and Savage.

Eventually they signed "Razor" Ramon and "Big Daddy Cool" Diesel and it was all kept pretty hush hush for the average fan. At this time WWF's flagship program was WWF Monday Night Raw which was a taped show and aired on Monday nights. WCW was also airing on Monday nights and going head to head with the WWF, however WCW's show was being done live every Monday. The announcers in WCW would tell their audience the results of the WWF matches prior to it happening and they really made WWF look pretty foolish. Then one night "Razor" Ramon walked onto the set and started talking trash to the people in WCW. It actually appeared, to the casual fan, that WWF wrestlers were "invading" their competition.

This went on at the end of the show for a few weeks. Then one night, "Razor" Ramon, now known as Scott Hall, brought someone else with him and "Big Daddy Cool" Diesel aka Kevin Nash made his debut. Still following the same script, they would come out towards the end of the show, sit in the audience, attack announcers and challenge all the talent from WCW. This went on for weeks and each week they promised to bring more wrestlers with them. It was a very well done storyline which went on for months before Hall or Nash even set foot inside of a WCW ring. The talent from WCW would break from what would be their normal script (good guys and bad guys from WCW) were suddenly working together against what they called "The Outsiders". To the average fan, they still had no idea this was all an angle and the Nash and Hall were working for WCW. To the average fan, these men were WWF wrestlers. This went on to be promoted as "The Hostile Takeover".

It all lead up to a WCW pay per view called Bash at the Beach. Hulk Hogan had been away from WCW during this whole thing as it played out. Hall and Nash were finally signed to a match on this Pay Per View and as they had done for so many weeks prior, promised a new member would be joining them. When the match started, there was still no new member and if I remember correctly the match went on as a 3 vs 2. So as the match was nearing it's end, Savage was down in the ring and Hulk Hogan comes out. The building erupted. Everyone thought Hogan was back and was going to help beat up the "Outsiders". When Hogan comes into the ring, Hall and Nash backed off like they were scared and out of no where Hogan attacks Randy Savage. The place went crazy. No one saw it coming. The crowd was disgusted, they threw trash into the ring etc etc. I noticed the OP's last video, which proves nothing at all. So allow me to put it into context and here is the Hogan heel turn in it's entirety, including his comments immediately afterwards about this being the "New World Order of Wrestling"

Hogan then cuts a live promo and calls this unified group the "New World Order of Wrestling" and they were coming into WCW to take over the whole company. That's it. That is your "NWO", the New World Order of Wrestling. Eventually Hogan won the world title, they spray painted NWO across the front of it and WCW's Monday Nitro show officially became WCW/NWO's Monday Nitro. Again, this NWO was here to take over the WCW promotion.

This angle went over HUGE in the USA and it literally changed the way the wrestling business worked. WWF now the WWE changed the entire way they did business. This wrestling angle had fans switching from the WWF dominance of Monday Nights and suddenly over night WCW was beating WWF in the ratings. It almost literally put Vince McMahon out of business.

What makes this whole thing somewhat interesting is that the "Invasion" angle was not anything new. Just new to US wrestling fans. The idea was actually stolen from 2 wrestling promotions in Japan which did an invasion angle and made a lot of money doing so. In order for the WWF to get their business back, they ushered in what was known as the "Attitude Era" featuring stars like Stone Cold Steve Austin. However the "Attitude Era" was also a stolen idea. Vince McMahon stole the idea from a small wrestling promotion that worked out of a run down Bingo Hall, that promotion was ECW.

So sorry to throw this a monkey wrench in this "theory" but there is really nothing to this. It was nothing more than an angle, a way to develop interest in a product and make money. It was just business, but it sure was a great time to be a wrestling fan, and I must admit it was kind of fun writing this whole thing up. Hope any old wrestling fans enjoyed this post as much as I did putting it together.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

Yea i tried to explain the story line too but you did a great job of going into detail from the outsiders to the monday night wars the NWO angle got so big that they used it in New Japan Pro Wrestling which WCW had a working deal with, but both the Great Muta and Masahiro Chono were part of the NWO remember the fake Sting he worked alot in Japan as part of the angle, it really was the best time for wrestling you had so much going on, the reason i like the Nexus so much is because there a copy of the NWO it's about time someone paid homage to that gimmick i mean we had about ten different copy cat four horsemen...

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by King Seesar

Actually New Japan Pro Wrestling is where the "Invasion" Angle originally came from. For the life of me I can not remember the other major promotion that they did the angle with. I want to say All Japan, but I may be wrong.

I do not watch wrestling anymore. Now that there is no longer any competition again and the whole wrestling world is owned (again) by Vince McMahon, it is again pretty stale and corny. I pretty much get my fix from watching the UFC. On occasion if I am absolutely bored out of my mind, I might check out TNA wrestling, which is by far a much better product than WWE, but it is still very very much lacking. During the "Attitude" Era it was pretty cool to be a wrestling fan. They did storylines and gimmicks people could actually relate to. Look at Stone Cold Steve Austin for an example. Who in this world can not relate to hating your boss? Who in this world would not like to have one moment in time where you can tell your employer to stick it, smack him in the mouth and still have a job? It was a character people could relate to.
edit on 18-12-2010 by MrWendal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ReAlIzAtIoN

Now this clip comes prior to the WWE being sued for the WWF name.

After Vince McMahon bought out WCW, he attempted to bring back the NWO gimmick and actually brought Scott Hall, Kevin Nash, and Hulk Hogan back into the then WWF. Needless to say, Vince was unable to catch lightning in a bottle for a second time using that gimmick and it was very very short lived. Hogan was no longer believable as a bad guy and they were forced to turn him into a good guy again and he went on to do a few matches with The Rock which lead into Wrestlemania. Although it is a pretty creepy video from Vince McMahon, there is still no NWO as we all recognize it type of conspiracy here.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

No i don't think it was All Japan Pro Wrestling that did the invasion angle don't quote me on this but i believe the promotion was WAR founded by Genichiro Tenryu in 1992 this is the promotion that brought Ultimo Dragon stardom WAR didn't last that long but they had alot of mixed cards with other promotions from Japan.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by King Seesar

I really do not remember anymore, but man... that was such a good time to be a wrestling fan.

People got to remember when all this was going on, it was mid 1996. Almost 15 years ago. It really did change the business drastically. Ted Turner and WCW bought all of WWF's established stars and talent for the exception of a few people who stayed in WWE. People like Triple H, who was then still a midcard performer known as Hunter Hearst Helmsley, some rich guy turned wrestler. They still had Shawn Michaels, Undertaker, Stone Cold, Brett Hart and The Rock. Now these are all big names now, but back then the only established stars were actually Shawn Michaels, Brett Hart and The Undertaker. Stone Cold had not really become anything yet, no one at that time realized how big he would become. The Rock was still Rocky Miavia (or something like that) and people hated him and thought he was the worst performer ever. So WWF began it's "Attitude Era". Hunter Hearst Helmsley became "Triple H", Steve Austin became Stone Cold, Rocky Miavia became "The Rock". With all of WWF's established stars gone, they were forced to develop new talent. They started putting on some really cutting edge, risky television. They began pushing the envelope and doing things that had never been done before, and it all started with the formation of Triple H and Shawn Michaels.. which came to be known as DX.

This "DX" gimmick basically carried the WWF promotion and kept them from going out of business. While this was happening, the WWF began developing it future stars. Starting with the birth of "Stone Cold" Steve Austin. Austin began this character in ECW, he then went on to the WWF. He won a series of matches in a tournament style event known as King of the Ring. His final match was against Jake "The Snake" Roberts. Jake was using a religious type of gimmick at this point in his career, and he would quote psalms out of the bible when he did promos. After Stone Cold won this match, he cut a promo in which the phrase "Austin 3:16" was born. It was after this moment in time, Stone Cold's rise to stardom began. Nothing would hold him back from becoming a Mega Star.

Now remember, I did say Shawn Michaels and the DX gimmick was literally carrying the promotion at this time. This was the start of the "Attitude Era". This was when cussing, sexual innuendo, and everything you see today made it's first appearance into prime time. Below is a clip of what is known as the "DX Election Speech" to give you an idea of what they were doing. It is pretty stupid, but at this time it was never done before. These stupid things suddenly made wrestling "cool". It was a huge leap from the days of Doink the Clown and the WWF marketing to very young children. Prior to this, they used to showcase Hulk Hogan and "say your prayers, eat your vitamins". So this was a drastic change. Sponsors pulled out, the FCC watched them like a hawk. The current WWF Champion was Brett Hart. Also a "good guy" and very clean cut and tame compared to the new direction the company was going in.

WARNING: This clip is the unedited version of what was shown on Prime Time TV. Very Foul Language is contained in this video

Hearing the unedited version, you can imagine how this came across on TV with a constant editing. Here is another video which will also give you a good idea of how they went more X rated. This video, although nothing like the above, still full of innuendo. The DX catch phrase was "We got 2 words for you, Suck it"

Also like I previously stated with all the established stars gone from the WWF, they had to elevated and create all new talent. Here is "The Rock's" debut on Monday Night RAW. Just to give you an idea of how drastic the change was for the "Attitude Era"

and then came what we now know as "The Rock"

Now the year is 1997 and the "Attitude Era" had still not caught on with the masses. WCW was still dominating the Monday Night Wars and was solidly beating the WWF in the ratings. Brett Hart's contract was almost finished and he would be leaving the company, the last of the "good guys" and by this time he was simply not going to fit the mold of the "Attitude Era" which lead to what is know as the Montreal Screw Job.

And with that, Brett Hart went to WCW. With the last of the comic book good guys gone, the "Attitude Era" took off like wild fire. So as all this new talent was being developed and the crowds were loving the new direction of the company, WCW began to turn into what the WWF used to be. They found themselves with all of WWF's old talent, all fighting each other over and over and over again. Just like the fans had already seen in the WWF. So the new WWF product was fresh. While WCW stars were constantly working with each other, the rising stars in WCW never got elevated. The characters that people liked in WCW, were always over shadowed by the old, stale characters that people were sick of. At this point the WWF began to turn a corner.

The year is now 1998, with new talent being developed and stars rising, Shawn Michaels suffers a serious back injury. He would later drop the title to Stone Cold Steve Austin, and by this time the WWF was gaining strength in the ratings war with their new direction and history began to repeat itself. Just like all the old stars of WWF went to WCW and put it on the map, all the young future stars began leaving the WCW for an opportunity to shine in WWF who still needed star power. There had already been a few signings, but nothing quite as big as the signing and debut of Chris Jericho.

From this point on there was no turning back. The WWF exploded. They had reached the masses and wrestling was more popular than it had ever been.

I forget where I was even going with this post, so I am just going to stop here and I guess consider it the history of Pro Wrestling's iconic rise into pop culture. Sorry I went way way off topic with this one

edit on 19-12-2010 by MrWendal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

sorry, couldn't resist (things went downhill when the ultimate warrior crapped out...yep, showing my age)

Ahh remember Hacksaw Jim Duggon, Million Dollar Man, The British Bulldogs, Jake The Snake I could go on and on. Thats when wrestling was cool. This new junk ain't for me. Lost interest once all the change overs started taking place.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Ya'll just made me relive my fanboy-days. I use to watch wrestling like priest talks about Christ.

Anyway, I remembered a hook to the NWO that many people either forgot or overlooked: there was the original NWO (NWO white and black) and the other NWO (NWO red and black). I'll just refer to them as white and red. As it was, white was the first on the scene, and they took in Hogan. Red took in Sting (He was the coolest wrestler by far, going from American Hero to a guy looking like he dressed up as The Crow and repelling from the rafters, which was AWESOME... when I was 9!)

So the war raged between white and red. Eventually, if I am remembering correctly, Hogan eventually converted to Red, and all was well within the wrestling world again. Until DX came in with a tank... but that was another story.

"Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, children of all ages. 'ATS' proudly brings to you..." the funniest thread of the DAYYYYYYY.
"And if you ain't down with that, we got two words for ya! SUCK IT!"

Oh, how I remember saying that all the time. I just said the whole thing like 4 times because it is still so fun to say. DX was pretty cool.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by SSDDay
reply to post by bourbon2nite

No it really stands for New world order... If you watched the videos you would know.

If you really want to know the truth about the New World Oreder of Professional Wrestling. Then you might want to read on further after what I am about to say.

The "New World Order" was a brain child of Hulk Hogan and then current Executive VP Eric Bischoff. A the time this idea was being floated around, Scott Hall's and Kevin Nash's contract in the WWF at the time was up and old Vinnie Mac did not want to renegotiate to keep them in the WWF. They asw this as an opportunity to jump ship and sign with World Championship Wrestling. With Bischoff being the wrestling mind that he was at the time. He saw this as a perfect opportunity for an "invasion" by the WWF storyline because most fans of WCW would also tune into the WWF and they would recognize these guys.

Over the next few weeks, Hall and Nash would show up "unannounced" to WCW's Monday Nitro and cause trouble. One of the events in the storyline included Bischoff being on the receiving end of a powerbomb through the stage at "The Great American Bash" in June of 1996. All of this culminated in a match between Hall, Nash, and a "Mystery partner" against Sting, Lex Luger, and the "Macho Man" Randy Savage at WCW's Bash at the Beach on July 7th, 1996. As it was written in the script, Hogan would be revealed as the third man in the corner of "The Outsiders" Hall & Nash. As it was scripted, Hogan hit the "Macho Man" with two consecutive legdrops to end the pay per view. It was then that Hogan announced that Hall, Nash, and himself had formed the New World Order of Professional Wrestling.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join