It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti War Demonstration at Whitehouse with 135 Arrests (Video)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Anti War Demonstration at Whitehouse with 135 Arrests (Video)

www.rawstory.com

As President Barack Obama was unveiling a new report on progress of the war in Afghanistan, a lineup of high-profile dissenters joined in an act of civil disobedience that ended with about 135 demonstrators being arrested outside the White House Thursday afternoon.

The number of arrestees came by way of an attorney for one of the defendants, who spoke to Raw Story.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.youtube.com

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
This seems to be the start.. An notable list of peaceful antiward demonstrators braved the snow to get the Government to finally listen. as written 'Notable participants risking arrest included Daniel Ellsberg, who leaked the Pentagon Papers, retired 27-year CIA analyst Ray McGovern, FBI whistleblower Colleen Rowley, and Pulitzer-winning former New York Times war correspondent Chris Hedges.'

It is not just the war, but the banksters, the Fed, the TSA, and the affront to basic human rights.. Instead they try to jail Assange.

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
It has begun! May the battles of mortal kombat begin!

edit on 16-12-2010 by Whereweheaded because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Hmm.. Its a start .. Wonder how many more will stand up and speak out against the war... The video in your link isnt working..

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
When's Ray McGovern forming his regiment of peaceful demonstrators?

Get everybody together, get some high-profile constitutional lawyers together beforehand, bring a bunch of cameras to monitor police reactions, and let the unstoppable peaceful gatherings begin!!

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
What bothers me, it sounds as if it was a peaceful assembly, which is accordance with the First Amendment right, so with Obama present, and allowing these arrests to occur, wouldn't that suggest in its own right, that he doesn't condone the Bill of Rights?

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
wow you guys really showing the world, all those young folk out protesting the wars. Is this the begining or just the last of the remaining hippies who still remember what it's like to protest against their government.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
As Europeans are learning, the "right to protest" is limited when it comes to being critical of our government.

They'll say that we all have a right to protest, but when that protest is against them and their corrupt government, that's another matter!

We are not living in democratic nations. We are living under fascism with a false veneer of democracy. Right now that veneer is becoming thinner by the day and the true ugliness of our leadership is becoming clear.

While I truly want it to be peaceful, I don't think it will be. The actions of various governments are forcing it to become a true revolution.
I believe that if they continue to ignore the will of the people, will is eventually replaced by force.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Why do people still say the USA doesn't protest?

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Damn terrorists... thinkin' they're actually aloud to actually protest.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
This is a big message to you USA

135 arrested.

The article doesn't state how many attended the protest, but compare that to the number of arrests in other protests around the globe and then ask yourselves who has the most out of control authority in the world.

Be safe and keep up the pressure. THEY will not stop unless you do not stop.

Good luck.

ps. WELL DONE, I for one am proud of those who took action.
edit on 16/12/2010 by nerbot because: addition

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Not trying to hijack your thread R_Clarke, but I though these comments at the bottom of the linked report were worthy of a note:

By MirelaMonte:

Obama's report calls it "Progress". If this is progress, how does Mr. Obama define FAILURE? www.huffingtonpost.com...

The American people do not want this war. While hard working Americans are getting kicked out of their homes and living on the streets due to job losses and foreclosures, our Government is spending $120BIL a year for the war in Afghanistan.

Despite these huge costs, the situation on the ground is much worse than it was a year ago because the Taliban insurgency has made progress across the country. It is now very difficult to work outside the cities or even move around Afghanistan by road. The insurgents have built momentum, exploiting the shortcomings of the Afghan government and the mistakes of the coalition. The Taliban has become a national movement with a serious presence in the north and west. Foreign bases are completely isolated from their local environment and unable to protect the population. We've been in Afghanistan longer than the Soviet Red Army. Look at what that war did to the Soviets! How much more funny money will we print before we realize that we simply can not sustain this war? It is not economically feasible.

Our Soldiers are being medicated like never before: since 2001, 73,103 prescriptions for Zoloft have been dispensed, 38,199 for Prozac, 17,830 for Paxil and 12,047 for Cymbalta, according to Tricare 2009 data. All of the drugs carry a suicide warning label. In 2009 there were 160 active duty suicides, 239 suicides within the total Army including the Reserves, 146 active duty deaths from drug overdoses and high risk behavior and 1,713 suicide attempts. In addition to suicide, other out-of-character behavior like domestic violence is known to erupt from the drugs. www.globalresearch.ca...

We are sacrificing an entire generation for the benefit of the few who are in charge and have much to profit from all the destruction. War is not cheap. Take for example the much talked about drones: every Predator drone in use in Afghanistan costs taxpayers $4.5 million and a third of them crash. It costs $1,000,000 per soldier to support the war. Just think of all the jobs we could create with that money! Think of how robust our economy would be if we didn't feed this death machine!

There is a strong anti war movement in our country right now. I think our Leaders should listen...

Source

Scary stuff!

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

You're right. Peaceful protests are ignored by the media and the government (except the police).
They will only notice when the billy clubs are hitting them instead of us.
Must be what they want, they seem to be doing everything possible to p* ss us off!

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

I'm with you on this one woodward, just don't see many youngsters in this crowd. Don't get me wrong, these protestors are my peers and I'm glad to see anyone on the Capitol's steps but we need the younger
generation(s) getting angry enough to protest too. These protests need the energy and self-righteous indignation that only someone who hasn't been beaten down and disillusioned by the system for decades can bring.

Where are they? On facebook? Playing video games?

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

It might be because youtube embedding.. here it is again fresh.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   
I've been "out of the loop" for a couple days now (working with others on a project directly related) and I come back to THIS
!!

I didn't hear about this on my local news tonight/last night and I am absolutely shocked and disgusted that this has happened. It really only means that there is more of the same to come! These protesters were well within their rights to hold such an assembly and ANYONE who reads this should be irrate, period!

We Americans like to think of ourselves as superior to other countries/nations (all-be-it dillusional thinking) and we are hearing about and seeing video of similar protests across the globe in the MSM! I'm sure we have all thought something along these lines "That is terrible, how can their governments be doing that to them?! Our government would never do that to us!" while watching the evening news. Well guess what?! Our government is no better, they just do a better job of placating us and desensitising us through consumerism and must see TV!!

WAKE UP!!!!!! We must stand together and demand that our rights, as determined by the Bill of Rights and the U.S. Constitution be returned to us! We the People stands for sh!t all if we sit back and do nothing. Even posting on here is merely complaining about something that we are not willing to change because that change would require us to get up out of the La-z-boy, turn off the computer (or at least put it on standby), the TV and the video games! We would actually have to leave our homes and venture into the great outdoors in order to join with other citizens (maybe even some we don't know; ewww) and STAND UP!

Oh come on, even typing this is pissing me off because I know that it is falling on deaf ears (or blind eyes as it were)!! GOD people, we have to do SOMETHING, this is ridiculous already! I will NOT allow my children to inherit this country and it's systems which have been completely corrupted do to inaction on our part and on the parts of the generations before us!!! To quote Zapata via Guevara; "I'd rather die on feet than live on my knees"!!! Or even to go so far as to say; "My life turned around when I started to believe in me (we)!" loosely quoted from Dr. Robert H. Schuller
Minister and Author.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Scalded Frog

You sum up the situation well..in addition... They are at home playing video games, breathing in air which is full with Mercury from Lignite, Water with fluoride, food with Bisphenol A, and learning at schools which The Rockefeller foundation and its publishing arms write the books for.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Scalded Frog

You sum up the situation well..in addition... They are at home playing video games, breathing in air which is full with Mercury from Lignite, Water with fluoride, food with Bisphenol A, and learning at schools which The Rockefeller foundation and its publishing arms write the books for.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whereweheaded
What bothers me, it sounds as if it was a peaceful assembly, which is accordance with the First Amendment right

Originally posted by IrishCream
These protesters were well within their rights to hold such an assembly and ANYONE who reads this should be irrate, period!

Their assembly was peaceful and was within their rights. However, they broke through a barrier that Capitol Police set up to keep people away from the White House fence. Breaking through a police barrier is why they were arrested, not for holding their demonstration.

With that said, what they did brings awareness to their cause, and I for one am grateful and proud of such true patriots. Too bad there are not more like them.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by R_Clark

...It is not just the war, but the banksters, the Fed, the TSA, and the affront to basic human rights.. Instead they try to jail Assange.

The First Amendment guarantees the Right to Freedom of the Press and to assemble peaceably. (Which is why they send in provocateurs.)

Looks like it's all on the table. The 1st, the Bill of Rights, the American Constitution.

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join