It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Private Schools Are Cheaper Than Public Schools

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Average cost of private school tuition k-12 for the 2008 school year: $8,549
www.capenet.org...

Average cost of public school tuition k-12 for the 2009 school year $12,000 -$27,000
www.cato.org...

I need to have it explained to me again why we have public education in this country.

It seems to me that, even in the face of "free" public schooling, the private sector can still manage to provide a higher quality of education at lower prices than the public sector.

If parents didn't have to pay property taxes to pay for schooling, they would actually be paying LESS over-all to send their kids to a private school.

If you figure a cost savings of 5,000 dollars per student by eliminating public education and privatizing everything, that works out to an annual savings of $250,000,000,000 for the entire population given that there are roughly 50 million public school students.

That's a lot of extra Christmas presents parents could be buying their kids.

Public education robs children of Christmas presents.

edit on 16-12-2010 by mnemeth1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
It just depends on where you live in.
And of course public school's are gonna be using up more money if they have more students. Which obviously means, more teachers, more paper, more supplies, more schools, etc.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by unknown22
It just depends on where you live in.
And of course public school's are gonna be using up more money if they have more students. Which obviously means, more teachers, more paper, more supplies, more schools, etc.

not really.

Those are averages.

So on average, public education robs children of Christmas presents.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
averages of where?
and its simply because there is more stuff to spend the money on then private schools. Same way if the population of privates and public were switched private schools would be spending alot more money.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   

averages of where?
and its simply because there is more stuff to spend the money on then private schools. Same way if the population of privates and public were switched private schools would be spending alot more money.

Averages of American education costs.

I don't follow your last statement at all.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   

... if the population of privates and public were switched private schools would be spending alot more money.

Private schools would not be spending more money. The parents pay per child. Their expense would be in direct proportion to their enrollment. Stable and still profitable.

Unlike the public schools where every childless property owner pays for a ever decreasing in value education for everyone elses kid.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

... if the population of privates and public were switched private schools would be spending alot more money.

Private schools would not be spending more money. The parents pay per child. Their expense would be in direct proportion to their enrollment. Stable and still profitable.

Unlike the public schools where every childless property owner pays for a ever decreasing in value education for everyone elses kid.

Yeah, definite side benefit for me since I don't have kids, yet the parents of public school children are holding a gun to my head forcing me to pay for their little brats education.

I want to save that money so I can afford to send my own kid to a private school someday.

But nooooooooo..... I have to pay for their little brat to attend a communist indoctrination center.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1
I want to save that money so I can afford to send my own kid to a private school someday.

Can't have you doing that. God forbid you get a leg up on the others by sending your child to a school of your choice.

Just like we can't have any retirees better off than others.

We all have the same financial planner and he's really bad with the money.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Yeah, definite side benefit for me since I don't have kids, yet the parents of public school children are holding a gun to my head forcing me to pay for their little brats education.

But nooooooooo..... I have to pay for their little brat to attend a communist indoctrination center.

You aren't forced to pay for others kids. You go to your local election and vote for the disctrict's budget. If the community has more parents living in it, most likely the budget will pass. If not, it won't. The bottom line is that the citizens of that community vote on it.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by spinalremain

All hail mob rule!

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Can't have you doing that. God forbid you get a leg up on the others by sending your child to a school of your choice.

Just like we can't have any retirees better off than others.

We all have the same financial planner and he's really bad with the money.

God King Hussein feels private education "Is 'Best Fit' for Next First Family"

www.washingtonpost.com...

Clearly our glorious rulers need to ensure their kids have a leg up on our kids.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   

reply to post by spinalremain

All hail mob rule!

My pants are off.

Praise Mao and may Stalin indoctrinate your children in the glories of violently funded educational systems.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Clearly our glorious rulers need to ensure their kids have a leg up on our kids.

They've earned it. They're the chosen.

I suppose if I was raking in $200,000/year in tax payer dollars I wouldnt feel so bad about a few thousand going to fund some pitiful voters childs education. I'd still be able to afford the best private school in town and be able to pander to the dependents with their hands out for their vote to keep me in power and in money.

Thanks pitiful voters for sending my kids to posh private schools. Couldnt have done it withoutcha!
edit on 16-12-2010 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
www.cbsnews.com...

This guy wasn't having it anymore. Check that video out. Crazy.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   

They've earned. They're the chosen.

I suppose if I was raking in $200,000/year in tax payer dollars I wouldnt feel so bad about a few thousand going to fund some pitiful voters childs education. I'd still be able to afford the best private school in town and be able to pander to the dependents with their hands out for their vote to keep me in power and in money.

Thanks pitiful voters for sending my kids to posh private schools. Couldnt have done it withoutcha!

If I was a rich bureaucrat, my kids would get the best education violently stolen money could buy:

voices.washingtonpost.com...

Brian W. Jones, vice chairman of the D.C. Public Charter School Board, was finishing up his testimony at the D.C. Council's confirmation hearing today for an old friend and colleague, Kerri L. Briggs, the Acting State Superintendent for Education, when he mentioned that he was the father of two school age children.

Where do they go to school? Chairman Vincent C. Gray asked.

It turns out that Jones' kids are finishing up kindergarten and third grade not at one of the District's 59 public charter schools but at Maret, the posh Woodley Park private school.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
If anything a higher volume of kids should equal lower overall costs per child. Buy in bulk! Larger class sizes!

Sports is one huge area private schools probably save money on. I went to a private school and we did not have a football or swim team. Also no debate team, chess team, etc. There were also less choices in classes, just the basics.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
If anything a higher volume of kids should equal lower overall costs per child. Buy in bulk! Larger class sizes!

Sports is one huge area private schools probably save money on. I went to a private school and we did not have a football or swim team. Also no debate team, chess team, etc. There were also less choices in classes, just the basics.

This is true.

The cost of extra-circular programs is large.

However, my brother recently graduated from high school and he got most of his sporting activities accomplished in private clubs.

He was a member of a basketball club and a baseball club at a local gym, on top of the sports he played at school.

It is not necessary for schools per-say to fund these activities, although with more students in a private system such activities would most likely be provided since there would be far more students.

Private colleges have no problem funding these activities, so we know it can be done.

I went to a private grade school and they had a full gym and basketball court, along with regular tournaments.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

I was in private school until high school. When I was in private school I played a couple of sports with the local cities teams. Doing that my parents had to pay for my jerseys and equipment.

When I got to high school there were no expenses involved for equipment costs. By that time I had stopped playing team sports and spent most of my recreation time cycling solo yet my parents paid the bill for the equipment and jerseys of all of these other kids playing sports I wasnt on teams I wasnt.

And they still went about town peddling bake sales and candy bars.

All of these people paying into a system, even people without children taking from the system, and the system still had to look for extra cash. It's blatantly unfundable yet it continues to this day.

I should mention on the academic side once I got to the public school I had to be put in all the advance classes and college extension classes and I was still ahead. Yet they repeatedly refused to bump me up a grade. In hindsight I should have just dropped out at 16 and gotten my GED and moved on. I'd be two years further along than I am now.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Yeah, I think the OP post pretty much sums up how badly the American public is being raped by the statist indoctrinators.

250 billion will buy a lot of jerseys.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Average cost of private school tuition k-12 for the 2008 school year: $8,549
www.capenet.org...

Average cost of public school tuition k-12 for the 2009 school year $12,000 -$27,000
www.cato.org...

I need to have it explained to me again why we have public education in this country.

It seems to me that, even in the face of "free" public schooling, the private sector can still manage to provide a higher quality of education at lower prices than the public sector.

If parents didn't have to pay property taxes to pay for schooling, they would actually be paying LESS over-all to send their kids to a private school.

If you figure a cost savings of 5,000 dollars per student by eliminating public education and privatizing everything, that works out to an annual savings of $250,000,000,000 for the entire population given that there are roughly 50 million public school students.

That's a lot of extra Christmas presents parents could be buying their kids.

Public education robs children of Christmas presents.

Actually, you are wrong.

Private school costs the combined tax amount plus tuition, since as tax payers, we already pay for school.

For those who are too good to demand a proper public education from the system they just gave ten grand to, then they must shell out nearly another ten grand per year for the privilege of private school.

So it is costing them both the original amount (which is taken no matter what) and the double fee of the tuition.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join