It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Universe pics that make you think

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Universe pics that make you think

This amazing thread inspired me....

so ill repeat myself just a litlle bit here

we know nothing about Universe

are there parallel realities? how many galaxies are there? how big our Universe is? How old its is? We even dont know yet what is the true nature of LIGHT, is it a particle or an wave....and to add to topic, just look at these amazing pictures from OUR Universe

Messier 33 Galaxy, most famous Galaxy picture

“All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force... We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent Mind. This Mind is the matrix of all matter.” - Max Planck

thank you

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Just the concept of the universe and it's vastness wreaks havoc on the human brain. We see the numbers and pretend we comprehend the insane distances and incredible stretches of time. Six trillion is just a number, anyone can say it without giving a second thought to it's true meaning - yet when you understand that six trillion miles is the distance light travels in a year...it sinks in a little further, and when you know that a light year in space isn't really THAT big of a deal at ALL by any other standards than our own, it sinks in a little further still.
To crack it down even further - assuming you had a special suit which provided protection, immortal life, and instantaneous travel to anywhere in the universe...if you had a suit like this, and set out to visit every star - only spending ONE SECOND on each one, with no travel time in between stars - a BILLION years would not be enough time for you to see all the sights.
It IS amazing. It IS wonderful. It IS the very epitome of awe-inspiring.

Great photos!

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
thank you, thinking about these pics truly sets free

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
They are beautiful. Some of the Hubble pictures look like paintings almost. Amazing. I like these:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d374b75da750.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/641f8ce4e1a4.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/41f23ecb9658.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 12/16/2010 by SpaceJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
some Nebulas

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
thanks for sharing absolutely amazing!!

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
some more...

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Great thread S&F....Mindblowing stuff...

And here's a little smiley for emphasis
look! the little guy is mouthing the word "wow", I love the internet...

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I was talking with a friend last night about this, the universe is so big you really can't wrap your mind around it. I don't think the word big even qualifies as a proper description. Great thread I love looking at pictures of space, hopefully in our lifetimes tourists affordably going to space will become a reality.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by anubisone
Are you trying to say that YOU know nothing about Universe?

Because cosmologists know something. Not everything for sure, but definitely not "nothing" either.

The so-called amazing thread that inspired you was a contest to see how many ignorant posts could be made in a row about a topic which the posters didn't understand. That galaxy cluster was old but not older than it should be:

chandra.harvard.edu...

Galaxy clusters are the largest gravitationally-bound objects in the Universe. Scientists have calculated when they should start assembling in the early Universe, and JKCS041, at a distance of some 10.2 billion light years, is on the early edge of that epoch.

So we find one of the earliest galaxy clusters and a ton of people start posting the big bang theory is dead?

The only thing that thread inspires me to do is shake my head at how many people jump to incorrect conclusions on so little information. the OP article isn't even in English, so I'll bet a lot of posters didn't even read it.

So this thread would be a whole lot better if you hadn't mentioned that embarrassment of a thread.

However, I still like the cool pictures, very nice!

Here's one showing how gravity bends light from distant galaxies into streaks and likes (gravitational lensing):

Abel 2218c Galaxy cluster gravitational lens:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9778338fec36.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

You a firm believer in the big bang theory buddy?

There are things about it that just do not sit right with me, and now with M theory being the prevalent theory the idea of the big bang is slowly fading from cosmologist circles.

I always thought the name was stupid and was meant to be a dig at it in the first place, but there was never a bang so that part always bugged me. There was a super expansion that defies our laws of physics.

I'm not too sure what side of the fence I'm on so I thought I would ask another enthusiast.

Pred...

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187
You a firm believer in the big bang theory buddy?

I'm not too sure what side of the fence I'm on so I thought I would ask another enthusiast.
No I can't say firm until the dark matter/dark energy problems are resolved, but it's possible they can be resolved in the framework of the big bang....or not.

What I'm trying to say is that if someone was looking for proof the big bang is wrong, finding one of the earliest galaxy clusters predicted by the big bang doesn't prove it wrong.

I think the big bang probably happened (yes it's a dumb name but we're stuck with it), but I'm not so sure about the age estimate of 13.75 +/- 0.17 billion years. By the time we figure out dark matter and dark energy, I can see that time estimate changing. 15 or 20 billion years wouldn't surprise me.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

Originally posted by anubisone
The so-called amazing thread that inspired you was a contest to see how many ignorant posts could be made in a row about a topic which the posters didn't understand. That galaxy cluster was old but not older than it should be:

chandra.harvard.edu...

Galaxy clusters are the largest gravitationally-bound objects in the Universe. Scientists have calculated when they should start assembling in the early Universe, and JKCS041, at a distance of some 10.2 billion light years, is on the early edge of that epoch.

So we find one of the earliest galaxy clusters and a ton of people start posting the big bang theory is dead?

The only thing that thread inspires me to do is shake my head at how many people jump to incorrect conclusions on so little information. the OP article isn't even in English, so I'll bet a lot of posters didn't even read it.

You may lose your bet.

I otherwise, bet that neither you have translate or read the article or data too or seen the video too.

Your arrogance is awesome, Lord of Astrophysicists !

To the OP: thanks for these amazing images.

Seem that there are much more stars and galaxies in Universe that grains of sand on Erath.

edit on 17-12-2010 by Arken because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-12-2010 by Arken because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Ad this to the new estimate scientists give of every star in the universe being 300 sextillion...which is 300,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars, which is quite a lot....and then the other evidence recently released of other universes and...well...it is just plain ridiculous.

edit on 17-12-2010 by Solomons because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Just think. All this and we're the only ones in the universe to enjoy it. Such a waste.

JUST KIDDING!

The really neat thing is just think of the images yet to be captured.

Hubble never ceases to amaze me. Just think about what the James Webb Telescope is going to do.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Great thread S & F. So many of the images remind me of glistening gemstones. The universe is so rich with beauty. It does make one think - what have we yet to discover!

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
No I can't say firm until the dark matter/dark energy problems are resolved, but it's possible they can be resolved in the framework of the big bang....or not.

What I'm trying to say is that if someone was looking for proof the big bang is wrong, finding one of the earliest galaxy clusters predicted by the big bang doesn't prove it wrong.

I think the big bang probably happened (yes it's a dumb name but we're stuck with it), but I'm not so sure about the age estimate of 13.75 +/- 0.17 billion years. By the time we figure out dark matter and dark energy, I can see that time estimate changing. 15 or 20 billion years wouldn't surprise me.

Oh I agree about the timeline. If a galaxy clusters was to be found to be around 14 or so billion years old that would not disprove the big bang theory, what would do it is science.

As for our big mystery right now, quantum gravity, the only idea we have that even begins to explain it is M Theory, but we are not even sure of the introduction calculations to that.

I tend to believe M Theory partly, and think the "beginning" of our universe was 2 membranes colliding, and perhaps one of the membranes turned inside out. I have a hard time with the big bang, because in that model there would be an edge to space that is expanding, what would be beyond that edge? I could though see it as part of a membrane pulling away from the initial collision, or perhaps a new one. Therefore it would be more like a ripple effect.

Another big issue to me is gravity waves, we have yet to find any. I have my own theory of gravity that I will do my thesis on, and hopefully I will not be shot down.

Sorry to keep going on and on.

Pred...

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I'm bumping this thread because I refuse to be responsible for the death of it.

Pred...

top topics

join